Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2014, 01:34   #451
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Just because you haven't encountered a problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I could probably find a piece of equipment or a tool on your boat you have never used because the circumstances have yet to occur. And yet, you still have the tool on board. Why? Because the problem may occur. I would suggest few folks would go thru the trouble of carrying firearms on their vessel - you really have very little to worry about from us. Keep calm and carry……pepper spray.
I don't see the point in carrying tools (now, there's a euphamism) that I am not prepared to use. I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance which should preclude the use of the "final solution"
Old 11-10-2014, 01:34   #452
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Does anyone know how to legally import a Mossberg Mariner 500 shotgun and 12g shells into Italy? I can't find any information online. Can it be shipped to a shipyard or friend in Italy? Or would it be easier to take it on an airline? I'd like to have one on the boat, but want to do things right.

Thanks
probably the easiest would be to find a local gun shop who will have an import licence/licence to deal in firearms,then when you leave it can be delivered to the boat together with a customs clearance.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:08   #453
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Does anyone know how to legally import a Mossberg Mariner 500 shotgun and 12g shells into Italy? I can't find any information online. Can it be shipped to a shipyard or friend in Italy? Or would it be easier to take it on an airline? I'd like to have one on the boat, but want to do things right.

Thanks

you might also be able to fed-ex it direct to the customs,and they will hold it untill you leave,best ask the local customs
Old 11-10-2014, 02:19   #454
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Please don't besmirch those who sacrifice by accusing us of empiricism. If we are empirical we are damn bad at it - haven't reaped a single dime from Iraqi oil.
I'm guessing you mean imperialism and imperial.

Empericism - the theory that all knowledge is derived from sense-experience

Imperialism - a policy of extending a country's power and influence through diplomacy or military force.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:32   #455

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:

Thanks
Don't think I would bother trying. I buy a fair bit of 'stuff' online... many/most? of the vendors wont ship to Italy due to 'customs issues'.

And that is just 'stuff'... electronic gizmos and the like... not guns.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:03   #456

Pretty emotional topic from some the the posts I have read. I guess it all depends on how you were raised, along with the local cultural values and traditions.

When I was in high school back in Maine back in 70's, I would bring my Winchester 30-30 to school during deer season. I would hunt in the woods on the way home in the afternoons. The principle let us all keep our rifles in his office during school hours. Nothing out of the ordinary. Nobody in town would give you a second look other than to see if you wanted a ride.

Piers Morgan would have had a heart attack to see this......lol
Old 11-10-2014, 06:16   #457
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Snipe View Post
Pretty emotional topic from some the the posts I have read. I guess it all depends on how you were raised, along with the local cultural values and traditions.

When I was in high school back in Maine back in 70's, I would bring my Winchester 30-30 to school during deer season. I would hunt in the woods on the way home in the afternoons. The principle let us all keep our rifles in his office during school hours. Nothing out of the ordinary. Nobody in town would give you a second look other than to see if you wanted a ride.

Piers Morgan would have had a heart attack to see this......lol
these days teen pregnancy is growing more common,makes you wonder what the kid's are doing in the afternoons these days
Old 11-10-2014, 06:21   #458

hahahaha Atoll
Old 11-10-2014, 06:34   #459
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Where on earth have you been cruising and who with? I have cruised for years in the tropics and been in the yacht cruising industry for years and can count on my fingers the number of boats that felt they had the need to be armed.

I lived in Asia for a decade and met many cruisers there. None to my knowledge felt the need to be armed. In fact they made jokes about the yanks and their guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-10-2014, 09:06   #460

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

empiricism and imperialism. Dang, I was posting too late at nite.

Island hopper - read Coops post just above mine. His comment was about not knowing if people carry - I just went to the absurd with it. Even you went with the bizarre - "i don't know anybody who carries but then they wouldn't mention it" bit. Jabber or what?

Nothing more to see here but the baiters. Take care and fair winds.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:28   #461

A gun is like a parachute, a life raft, or a trauma center. You will probably go through your whole life without ever needing any of them. But, if you do need one, you will probably need it really bad.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:36   #462

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I lived in Asia for a decade and met many cruisers there. None to my knowledge felt the need to be armed. In fact they made jokes about the yanks and their guns.

When I carry or travel with guns I don't advertise it, just like most people that are familiar with firearms and carry them. They keep their mouths shut. They don't want people to know they have them. Why would you think that some stranger you met cruising and have only known for hours, days, or even weeks would divulge to you that they had firearms on board. If I were in that spot I would make fun of people that carry guns too so you wouldn't suspect anything. You never know who you are talking to no matter how friendly they are when anchored beside you.

Gun possession by law abiding people that just want it for protection as a last resort don't tend to tell people outside of close friends and family (and customs officers) that they even have them.

I don't care who you are if I am out in the world and carrying you would be the last to know. Unless all Americans are automatically assumed to be carrying then I gues you "would know"
Old 11-10-2014, 09:36   #463

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
A gun is like a parachute, a life raft, or a trauma center. You will probably go through your whole life without ever needing any of them. But, if you do need one, you will probably need it really bad.
Amen
Old 11-10-2014, 09:36   #464
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
I don't see the point in carrying tools (now, there's a euphamism) that I am not prepared to use. I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance which should preclude the use of the "final solution"

Absolutely. If you are going to a place where you wouldn't feel comfortable without a gun, maybe that's a place to avoid. If you're uncomfortable everywhere without a gun, maybe you should stay home in your little fortress of solitude.

Old 11-10-2014, 13:21   #465
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Gun possession by law abiding people that just want it for protection as a last resort don't tend to tell people outside of close friends and family (and customs officers) that they even have them.
I would have thought the non law abiding gun toters would have been the ones to keep quiet as they are doing something to be ashamed off. I would expect law abiding gun toters to use the deterrent value of knowing they are armed to preclude the need to actually kill someone. A sort on mini M.A.D.
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, guns