Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 00:51   #316
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Snipe View Post
Excellent questions! Most of us US citizens don't know either. I have a Virginia concealed carry permit, but there are states that do not reciprocate with Virginia. You can google the state to state reciprocal laws. It's kinda like playing "Frogger".

As far as US customs? I dunno.
as far as i can see customs regulations for non residents do allow for exemtions from the normal import rules.

Nonresidents may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner's arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirements.
Old 01-10-2014, 00:55   #317
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Guns on a boat, yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Or permission to enter form. Probably the same thing really.

Coops.
that would be a "visa waiver from an un-disclosed location form"
Old 01-10-2014, 00:59   #318
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
that would be a "visa waiver from an un-disclosed location form"
Ah yes. I just snatched at it, sorry.

Coops.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:07   #319
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
as far as i can see customs regulations for non residents do allow for exemtions from the normal import rules.

Nonresidents may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner's arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirements.
Not New York
Forget New York for weapons. Even Flare guns
Old 01-10-2014, 01:20   #320
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Not New York
Forget New York for weapons. Even Flare guns
as in other countries if the customs retain the firearms,or seal them onboard as is the common policy for foreign vessels,your point is moot.,

here is the form,firearms and restricted medications are declared under additional items

http://www.vicl.org/uploads/1/6/3/4/..._form_1300.pdf
Old 01-10-2014, 04:18   #321

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
a small,short Brazilian with no visa
Visado no problemo quando vivo en barco. Ella muy linda. Quidete.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:25   #322

Boat: Catalina 30

Should be the same practice as most other countries. Just be careful if entering Maryland, New Jersey, or New york they may surrender to you before you even make landfall. If you enter the carolinas they'll laugh at how little your gun is.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:04   #323
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A little thread drift, but meant to show how much has changed in the very recent past
I grew up in Georgia, and in my High School years many of us would go hunting before or after school, which of course meant we had out shotguns and high power rifles in our vehicles in the school parking lot, often in the gun rack in the back window of a pickup truck. I can remember taking my Remingtom 1148 28Ga shotgun out to show my Principal, it was a sort of rare gun and he wanted to see it.
There was never, ever any attempt at using any of the guns for anything other than hunting, no matter how badly you were insulted or beaten in a fight, you never thought I'll go get my gun.

What the hell has happened to the world?
Old 01-10-2014, 05:24   #324
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack OldMan View Post
Hello, I am new to this. I want to someday,hopefully soon, live aboard a boat and sail extensively. I want to have all safety equipment and procedures necessary to make sure everyone arrives safe every time. I have read some post about pirates and other scoundrels on the water. I have just started researching laws of different countries about gun laws and find it quite confusing. Also, I am a hunter so I would like the option of arranging some hunting trips in some of the countries I visit and want to use my own guns to do so. I would not be comfortable in a strange land without some kind of protection. My one goal of gun ownership is to never have to use it in self defense, but I want the option to do so to protect my friends and family if it came down to that. My question is, how do I find out what the rules are? Does the US government have anything on this? If I went into, say Mexico's waters and had a gun on board would I wind up like the US soldier that is still in prison because he had guns in his vehicle? I assume once you cross the imaginary line in the waters of a foreign land you are technically under their jurisdiction. Your thoughts please.
"I would not be comfortable in a strange land without some kind of protection."

Then don't go there.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:34   #325

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Same thing that happened to kids calling their teachers Mr. Mrs., Sir, Ma'am and people actually giving up their seat to the elderly or pregnant women.

We all got old (you too) and in the meantime the world went to hell in a handbasket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 01-10-2014, 06:51   #326

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Quote:
A little thread drift, but meant to show how much has changed in the very recent past
I grew up in Georgia, and in my High School years many of us would go hunting before or after school, which of course meant we had out shotguns and high power rifles in our vehicles in the school parking lot, often in the gun rack in the back window of a pickup truck. I can remember taking my Remingtom 1148 28Ga shotgun out to show my Principal, it was a sort of rare gun and he wanted to see it.
There was never, ever any attempt at using any of the guns for anything other than hunting, no matter how badly you were insulted or beaten in a fight, you never thought I'll go get my gun.

Same here in Aus, my brother used to carry his .22 on the school bus in 1980 at age of 15 for rifle class, I think the only requirement was it was to be kept in its bag and not loaded. No-one in town felt the need to arm themselves because a kid had a gun.

1 loony in 199x? and voila we have serious gun laws.

That being said if you are going to cruise australia you won't likely need a gun, the **** here that will kill you is either too small and squishy to hit (irukandji, blue rings, stonefish, red backs, funnel webs), too fast (any of our numerous snakes, shotty isn't too bad but generally hip fire cause they move at jogging pace and you never see them until they are 10" away, bring a shovel is better) or too large to care before they eat you (great whites, salty crocs) !

Better off just not taking any taxi's in a large city, now that is dangerous but a worldwide problem that can't be solved with weapons.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:53   #327
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

well here in the UK the sadistic beatings/canings by teachers have stopped as people realised it was a form of abuse!

most of the peadofiles are now on the sex register,and all male teachers are suspect these days..............

happy days!,and no more emotionally scarred for life children!
(,though a few are heading for Syria as jihadis!)
Old 01-10-2014, 12:09   #328
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"What the hell has happened to the world"
Well, it got smaller. There's no place left for people to "escape" to. Although some places still come closer than others.
And then again, there's the shut-down and purge of the psychiatric hospitals in the 60's and 70's, the schizophrenics and other folks who need help, no longer receive it. Voluntary or otherwise. So they're out there on the streets. That one's been documented.
And something has happened, at least in the US, culturally. Lygin, cheating, stealing, con jobs, all are rewarded, and the victims then feel more pressure and less forgiving about life in general. When's the last time you got a surprise on your cable bill? Phone bill? Oh, gee, that was a special offer but now you have to pay double that rate, or a cancellation fee as well?
Hey, that was a fine job you did for the company last week, but this week? Clean out your desk, we're hiring some temps instead.
The relief valves have been closed, the everyday pressure turned up, no wonder the kettle is bursting.
Old 01-10-2014, 16:02   #329
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Population has risen to plague proportions...
No ones fault (except all of us)

Animal studies show that when any species overpopulate and overcrowd, bad social stuff happens.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 01-10-2014, 16:11   #330
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

Animal studies show that when any species overpopulate and overcrowd, bad social stuff happens.

I've read that too, and believe it
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, guns