Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2014, 14:29   #121

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

As an addendum to Atoll's post, you also have to be aware of clip/magazine size when importing firearms into Canada: Maximum Permitted Magazine Capacity - Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

I assume this might also apply to other countries...
Old 23-09-2014, 14:44   #122

Boat: csy 37

The good. We may have educated the non gun owning posters that when a gun owner says "automatic" he is not referring to a machine gun, but to a gun that automatically moves a cartridge from its magazine to its firing chamber after removing the previously fired cartridge case from the firing chamber, if their is one.

The bad. I think we may have dissuaded the original poster from any thoughts of ever going cruising. He hasn't posted here in awhile.
Old 23-09-2014, 14:50   #123
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
As an addendum to Atoll's post, you also have to be aware of clip/magazine size when importing firearms into Canada: Maximum Permitted Magazine Capacity - Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

I assume this might also apply to other countries...
seems like some people are having problems interpreting the law!

and confusing import restrictions on weapons in their countries as opposed to storing weapons "IN BOND" where they are NOT imported,even temporarily,which applies to visiting yachts passing through.
Old 23-09-2014, 15:06   #124

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

and confusing import restrictions on weapons in their countries as opposed to storing weapons "IN BOND" where they are NOT imported,even temporarily,which applies to visiting yachts passing through.
Hey, I'm not trying to argue here, but it is a fact that if an American transiting to Alaska passes through Canadian waters, then he is subject to Canadian laws. If they have a handgun, restricted weapon or over capacity magazine without the proper documentation then those weapons will be seized.

Now, I've learned that 'seized' in custom terms often means we are keeping it until you pay up, but I am pretty sure that something that is outright illegal (e.g. an over-capacity clip, assault rifle or 5 grams of coke) will not be returned. Sure, declare your legal 12 gauge and bring it on in; just remember we have enough regulations firearms-wise surrounding what is and isn't legal that even us Canadians sometimes have a hard time keeping it straight. My Dad had 12 gauge that was illegal because if held too many shells and he would have lost it if he's ever been checked.

Illegal is illegal, Canadian citizen or no...
Old 23-09-2014, 15:07   #125

Boat: Beneteau 473

The problem with going to the archives for a lot of issues such as guns on boats is laws change fast and its best to know what is current right now...not what was current last year or 6 years ago..
I have definite views on this subject.. If you are trained and use good common sense when handling a weapon and you follow all the laws for all the places you visit then why not have a weapon on board.
One problem is this lifestyle allows us to easily cross many borders and in the case of the Caribbean, the islands are governed by many different countries...In some cases one island may fly two flags..St Marten as an example. Dutch and French. Blurred borders and different laws. You will never get the answers you seek here and even if you did I would not trust my freedom and vessel to the opinions found in the Forum.
I have asked the same thing and in the end the only way to be sure is to find the official word for every place you will sail...Don't forget that means States as well. Having a weapon on your boat in Virginia might not be an issue..having the weapon onboard in NJ will be a serious problem.
As to the general question of having a weapon onboard. Why not? If you are aware of the risks and willing to accept the risks then what others think is of no consequence..
Old 23-09-2014, 15:34   #126

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

If all the posters talking about confiscation and/or imprisonment realised the difference between "declaring on arrival" and "illegal possession once in the country", this thread would have died a long time ago.

Bottom line:

If you declare your firearms on arrival in the vast majority of countries* you will not be fined/imprisoned/lose your firearms.

In the vast majority of countries*, you will not be able to retain the firearm in your possession while in the country, which makes the whole question of using it for protection other than on the high seas moot.

*It is always incumbent on the traveller to determine the current specific rules for the country they intend to enter.
Old 23-09-2014, 16:19   #127
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

People have been arrested here for bringing in semi auto weapons that they declared. It's simple, posting that sort of mis-information does nobody any favours and is irresponsible. 10 years ago they didn't bust people here for clearing in at a non gazetted port but they are now. But what would I know, it's not like I'm a fairly active player in the yachting industry in Vanuatu?
Old 23-09-2014, 16:34   #128
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I think those that wish to travel to Australia with cats, dogs and gun should seriously do their homework because most what I hear on here is BS. Email Customs in your next destination and check.

Go into Australia with an American type gun that the 9 year old used to kill the instructor and you will have that gun taken away.

TFFT.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 23-09-2014, 16:35   #129

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

If you have guns on the boat, keep them away from the deep fat fryer. Guns and boiling fat can be an issue.
Old 23-09-2014, 16:37   #130
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
People have been arrested here for bringing in semi auto weapons that they declared. It's simple, posting that sort of mis-information does nobody any favours and is irresponsible. 10 years ago they didn't bust people here for clearing in at a non gazetted port but they are now. But what would I know, it's not like I'm a fairly active player in the yachting industry in Vanuatu?
must be lots of arrests then can you post some links
Old 23-09-2014, 16:46   #131
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I think those that wish to travel to Australia with cats, dogs and gun should seriously do their homework because most what I hear on here is BS. Email Customs in your next destination and check.

Go into Australia with an American type gun that the 9 year old used to kill the instructor and you will have that gun taken away.

TFFT.

Mark
Australia — Noonsite

Firearms must be declared on entry. All military-type firearms (greater than .22), machine guns, pistols, revolvers, ammunition, as well as flick knives and knuckledusters are prohibited imports, and will be sealed on board or taken into custody at the first port of entry. Arrangements can be made to transport them to the port of departure if sufficient notice is given of that port and the date of departure. Sporting rifles and shotguns may be kept on board if a permit is obtained from the police and there is a suitable storage facility. This last condition also applies if prohibited imports are to be sealed on board.
Old 23-09-2014, 16:57   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
If you have guns on the boat, keep them away from the deep fat fryer. Guns and boiling fat can be an issue.

That isn't going to bode well for us Southern Rednecks, they will deep fat fry
anything down here
Old 23-09-2014, 17:15   #133
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"when a gun owner says "automatic" he is not referring to a machine gun, but to a gun that automatically moves a cartridge from its magazine to its firing chamber after removing the previously fired cartridge case from the firing chamber, if their is one."

Uh, no. An automatic weapon is one that continues to fire as long as the trigger is depressed. What you are talking about is a semiautomatic weapon, which diverts a portion of the fired charge to cycle the bolt and feed the next round into the chamber.

That's almost as wrong as the term "assault rifle". Neither the US Department of Defense nor NATO has any definition of what an "assault rifle" might be. The term was coined by anti-gun advocates in the US and has been adopted in some legislation, but among militaries and firearm manufacturers, it is still an undefined buzzword meaning something like "evil guns that will leap out of the closet and slaughter whole cities all by themselves".

Boogeymen.
Old 23-09-2014, 17:21   #134

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

TFFT.

Mark
That was a full auto Uzi. Even in the U.S. which apparently to most of the world is the wild west they are next to impossible to legally own or illegally obtain for that matter.
Old 23-09-2014, 17:26   #135

Boat: Traditional 30

Yes, have a gun on your boat if you so wish. That is, until you leave the USA (where I assume you live).

While I dont want to start a separate argument, I appears your desire to go hunting means you want to visit a foreign country and kill its local fauna. I doubt any customs official in Asia for instance, is going to like that idea. In the last three years, I have spent considerable time in 9 Asian countries. Not one has a sports shooting policy that I am aware of. Rather they have long jail terms instead. I cant speak for South America, if that is the boundary of your cruising plans however.
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, guns