Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2014, 09:20   #91

Boat: Sovereign 24
Re: Guns on a boat, yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
Can anyone suggest a waterproof container for me to store my assault rifle in as the one I have will not fit into the locker with my 10lb fortress anchor.
Old 23-09-2014, 09:35   #92

Boat: csy 37
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe pistols too, although I flew all over the NWT and back with a 12Ga Mossburg with folding stock underneath the back seat. The Canadian officials though it a very sensible thing and even encouraged it. Seems they weren't so much anti gun as anti military style and pistol.
I was a bit surprised to read that game wardens up in bear country often carry shotguns for protection. Would have thought they would have some large caliber rifle.
Old 23-09-2014, 09:50   #93

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Shotgun is actually quite a good multipurpose weapon to carry when going through or flying over the wilderness. Birdshot for wild fowl, buck shot for small game, and rifled slug for big game (at 100m or less). Rifled slug or ball will probably deal with almost any bear if you hit him in the right place. Even birdshot aimed at the head will take out a good deal of his senses and make your escape in a tight situation more likely.
Old 23-09-2014, 10:01   #94

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Re: Guns on a boat, yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Guns and Anchors. As usual yòu come up with the best one liners.

Sent from my SCH-I200PP using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Maybe we need a debate on which gun makes the best anchor...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-09-2014, 10:05   #95

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
I was objective.prised to read that game wardens up in bear country often carry shotguns for protection. Would have thought they would have some large caliber rifle.
As a noisemaker, a 12ga is probably better than most rifles. No sense actually shooting a bear if scaring him will achieve the desired outcome, i.e. not becoming a bear snack. Also an ill placed panic shot from a shotgun will probably impress a bear more than a minor rifle wound. Killing the bear shouldn't be the objective. It should be merely one possible and somewhat regrettable outcome of an anti bear defense.

I wonder what size shot they are carrying? I would think 00 or 0.anything lighter might give poor effect against such a heavily furred critter.
Old 23-09-2014, 10:13   #96

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
As a noisemaker, a 12ga is probably better than most rifles. No sense actually shooting a bear if scaring him will achieve the desired outcome, i.e. not becoming a bear snack. Also an ill placed panic shot from a shotgun will probably impress a bear more than a minor rifle wound. Killing the bear shouldn't be the objective. It should be merely one possible and somewhat regrettable outcome of an anti bear defense.

I wonder what size shot they are carrying? I would think 00 or 0.anything lighter might give poor effect against such a heavily furred critter.
By your statement I am going to assume you haven't spent much time deep in the Back country. I would go into further detail but as this thread has traveled from asking about carrying a gun on board to how to best kill bears I will refrain from here.

On a side note I wonder if the mods will allow a permanent gun only thread, kind of like the joke thread but you can discuss anything gun related? May help with some of these drifts and answer gun questions for people that are generally curious about guns.
Old 23-09-2014, 10:28   #97

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Thinking more about it, the article was on the internet some time ago, was written by some department of the state of Alaska, and reviewed various calibers suitable for protection from bears. Needless to say, the larger calibers were more highly recommended. They said that wardens carried 12 guage pump guns with rifled slugs.

It might be possible to google up that article.
Old 23-09-2014, 10:52   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
On a side note I wonder if the mods will allow a permanent gun only thread, kind of like the joke thread but you can discuss anything gun related? May help with some of these drifts and answer gun questions for people that are generally curious about guns.
This is specifically about guns for cruisers, so a perfectly legitimate topic.

It would be good to resist the urge to drift over into specifically gun topics not related to cruising -- there are gun forums for that.

But the main issue in these threads is when people go crazy and start flaming each other, which frequently happens. So far this thread has been fine in that regard . As a practical matter, the "Be Nice Rule" is the one really inflexible rule on here, so as long as the discussion remains civilized and respectful, we don't usually get too bothered.
Old 23-09-2014, 10:59   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Um. Try bring an assault rifle into Canada and soon you won't have an assault rifle anymore. They don't give them back...
military style weapons,or fully automatic rifles are generally not owned by the general public,so would probably cause the officials to confiscate them though,never heard of a hand gun being confiscated.

it would just be put in bond untill you leave
(even if illegal in australia or canada)
,as even if it is illegal in the host country,it is not illegal on the high seas,and since it is not technically being brought into the country all they can do is put it in bond as you have not broken any laws by declaring it on entry.
Old 23-09-2014, 11:04   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:

It wouldnt matter. Most people start their own threads. We have lots of threads on guns here..... a quick check shows minimal reference to them.
Old 23-09-2014, 11:30   #101

Boat: Simpson 12m catamaran

Hi,
Seems strange hearing you Americans talking of guns. I have been cruising world wide for 16 years and have visited most islands and countries except the USA. I'm too nervous about your country due to the violent reports I hear!
So here's the view of an Englishman whom apart from military service finds the thought of a gun alien. Firstly why go cruising if you want to shoot up the place.
99% of the people are nice! The poorer they are the more friendly as a rule?
We have circumnavigated without shooting anybody but I would probably choose UK politicians as my first target if I had a choice (not to keen on Bush).
If your boat is UK registered you cannot carry a firearm without specific permission from the Home office in the UK. Anything else regardless of your nationality would be illegal. Even if you have a gun license.
Be sure that you are a good shot in a boat rocking at sea and when the odd pirate or more is slamming you with an AK 47. Has your wife ever seen a gun fired for real!! Be absolutely sure to kill all attackers then clear out of that country immediately as for sure you have just killed the Police chiefs brother and they (he) wont like you for it! Customs generally hate people with guns...you create paperwork and as someone else said it will be bonded for the duration. If you carry anything other than a two barrel shotgun in Europe beware? Hand guns are a big no no as are military weapons!!
Failing that talk nicely to people and smile, be polite, your in their patch so treat them as if they are important. Remember that once you leave the Caribbean you are not in the majority. It is very rare for a European, Aus' or Kiwi vessel to be armed and we seem to manage Ok without and visit some really strange out of the way places!
If you cruise there are areas of risk Just be aware and street wise! I have written three articles on basic security for the big boys. Anybody wants a copy let me know.
Enjoy and relax the reef will get you before a pirate!!
Old 23-09-2014, 11:35   #102
cruiser

Quote:
We need to start our own gun owners social group, or rather cruising with guns. sort of like the "Nude sailing" Social group, where one needs to be invited and required to behave.

Oh jeez... I just noticed that weavis has been promoted to moderator. What next?

Ken
Old 23-09-2014, 11:36   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We need to start our own gun owners group, or rather cruising with guns. sort of like the "Nude sailing" group, where one needs to be invited and required to behave.

Ken
You mean...Nude sailing with guns?

We need to talk Ken
Old 23-09-2014, 11:43   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
You mean...Nude sailing with guns?

We need to talk Ken
"Is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?"

"OMG! That is NOT a pistol!"

Mae West voice of course.
Old 23-09-2014, 11:59   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
I alternated OO buck and slugs, I did not have a rifled slug barrel, such things exist and rifled slugs aren't really near as good as a rifled barrel.
Anyway I carried a box of I believe #4 bird shot as well as a hunting round and fishing gear and lots of MRE's etc.

My understand is that for a brown bear, even OO buck is a weak round, you want slugs, but if he's moving he is hard to hit.

I believe a shotgun was OK, but bear spray was illegal, you Canadians am I right about that or maybe misinformed?
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, guns