Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2014, 17:35   #706

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
Rustic Charm, that is true overall but consider Edward Teach, Blackbeard. It is widely accepted that he killed an average of 9,000 people per year during his reign. Hardly an insignificant number. And he was not even close to being the worst of the pirates.
This is where history become distorted.
There is very little historical records suggesting Edward Teach or Theach killed ANYONE, yet alone a laughable 9000 a year. it's a 'myth'. that's all. In fact it was fairly rare that anyone died from pirates on the Eastern Seaboard at all.

But, if you want to maintain the myth, you keep telling that story.
Old 26-10-2014, 18:40   #707

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I honestly don't think it's as common on as it looks on a forum like this. I might be wrong though. I doubt even as many yanks carry as the impression is received on here. Might be another thing for US costal cruisers, but then with 11000 deaths by guns in the US in 2013, it's a dangerous place to live, even to go to school. And the basis of a US argument for guns is the only thing that will stop a bad ass with a gun is a good ass with a bigger gun. And their lay the main thinking of the American setting out to cruise around the world. A very few actually think its the solution in he rest of the world.
"The USA is a dangerous place to live". SMH. Sir, I live in Chicago and feel comfortable walking down any street during the day. I visited London with my family and we got off one train stop during the day and immediately got back on after we got a good look at the people in that neighborhood. I believe there are some street in Kingston, Jamaica, that are dodgy during the day. You lift a statistic from someplace and paint the whole country with it. Sheesh.
Old 26-10-2014, 18:53   #708

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
"The USA is a dangerous place to live". SMH. Sir, I live in Chicago and feel comfortable walking down any street during the day. I visited London with my family and we got off one train stop during the day and immediately got back on after we got a good look at the people in that neighborhood. I believe there are some street in Kingston, Jamaica, that are dodgy during the day. You lift a statistic from someplace and paint the whole country with it. Sheesh.
I concede your point.

I was being somewhat ironic in what I was suggesting. It was more about the (erroneous) reason's why so many yanks feel they must carry a gun, and then carry this to an argument justifying carrying a gun on a cruising boat. The statistic of 350 people killed by a gun in the US is accurate though. But, it's also true to say the US is a big place and there are many places where there is not any deaths by guns.
Old 26-10-2014, 19:46   #709

The gun deaths are committed by bad guys. There are a number (smaller than you may think) of law abiding citizens who own firearms and have the proper permit to carry them in public. The rate of crime committed by those folks lawfully carrying a concealed firearm is vanishingly small. This group of people, in the aggregate, commit very few crimes and are typically more law abiding than the general public. You have VERY little to fear from an American carrying a weapon on board their boat. Shouldn't the fact that many here were so keen on finding out what the regs are show that they WANT to obey the laws? The view that some here have of out of control Americans running around shooting their guns off into the air leaves me with the impression that some folks here spend too much time watching Hollywood movies and believe it is some form of the evening news.
Old 26-10-2014, 20:13   #710
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Crazy-
"There are a number...of law abiding citizens who own firearms and have the proper permit to carry them in public. "
Really now, concealed carry licenses in Chicago? So, it is all a libelous news conspiracy that says Chicago is one of the leading cities in the US at banning licensed guns, while it also enjoys the reputation of havin gone of the highest gun crime & murder rates in the US?
Is it still something like 500 deaths by criminals with guns, per year?

Or perhaps you consider your streets safe to walk, because most of that is from gangbangers in the South Side and other areas that tourists are told to avoid, even in broad daylight?

I can't see that any part of London has quite the same hazards. And London, city limits to city limits, has about 5x the population of Chicago. So, they'd need 2500 gun deaths per year just to match Chicago.

Which is not to diss Chicago. It may be too damned flat, but there are some really nice parts of town.
Old 26-10-2014, 20:20   #711

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
The gun deaths are committed by bad guys. There are a number (smaller than you may think) of law abiding citizens who own firearms and have the proper permit to carry them in public. The rate of crime committed by those folks lawfully carrying a concealed firearm is vanishingly small. This group of people, in the aggregate, commit very few crimes and are typically more law abiding than the general public. You have VERY little to fear from an American carrying a weapon on board their boat. Shouldn't the fact that many here were so keen on finding out what the regs are show that they WANT to obey the laws? The view that some here have of out of control Americans running around shooting their guns off into the air leaves me with the impression that some folks here spend too much time watching Hollywood movies and believe it is some form of the evening news.
mmm, 'gun deaths are committed by bad guys'. I guess that will depend then on whom you call a 'bad guy'. Does it include unjustifiable police shootings such as the shooting of a man sitting on a subway with his hands handcuffed behind his back? or the shooting of a black man by an armed neighbourhood watch guy because he was in a white neighbourhood? But I'm being cynical. I'm presuming you have done some research to substantiate this?

Let's have a look at what I've found in a few minutes on good old google.

Since 1982 to 2012 there have been 61 mass killings carried out across 30 states in the good old USofA, with in most cases the killers being found to have obtained their weapons legally. I guess that means they are authorised and card carrying.

11 of the worst massacres in the US have occurred since 2007.

On the international seen, the US is statistically the most dangerous of OECD countries with the least change to reducing the incidents.

The South is the most dangerous area of all.

But some good news, gun ownership and the culture of one gun ownership has waned a little. That's in the right direction at least.

More guns mean more homicides. Wow! really.

States with stricter gun laws have far fewer gun crimes.. Really!

And how's this for a closing thought. More deaths by guns doesn't impact on the common belief about gun control.. what a surprise.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure your a person in the know it's just that it seems pretty obvious to me that there is one hell of a lot of 'gun' related problems in your home town, which you want to export to other friendly beaches on the worry that you might come across what, a modern day pirate.

now peace people. lets be mature about this. Tis only a discussion. Don't go shooting me now.
Old 26-10-2014, 20:54   #712

Wow, you'll are having fun, aren't you? If you actually read the post you would understand what I said and meant. Understanding is clearly not your intent.

Take care. I will stop feeding the……..
Old 26-10-2014, 22:06   #713
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Well it's had a good run. but now it's going round and round in ever decreasing circles over the same old ground again. Thank you and goodnight. It's closed.

Coops.

Tags
Guns, guns