Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2014, 09:40   #691
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Athens, Georgia, USA
Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber
Posts: 100
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

If you have a vessel big enough to carry guns, then, by all means, I would. I'd go for the 16"/45cal Mark 6 if you have enough ship, best choice out there. You can really reach out and put a hurtin' on pirates or anything you like, really.
__________________

__________________
Dr. Strangelove is offline  
Old 26-10-2014, 10:28   #692
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: 24 35'N 81 49'W
Boat: Cape Dory 25
Posts: 9
Images: 1
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

So....
You people see lots of pirates huh?
Maybe they are attracted to guns or something, that could explain things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	90376  
__________________

__________________
AntarcticAstrid is offline  
Old 26-10-2014, 12:27   #693
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,039
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

I'd have to ask the chef, but AFAIK turtles make good soup, while tortoises simply aren't stocked in the larder, much less seen on the menu. I wonder why?
__________________
hellosailor is offline  
Old 26-10-2014, 13:01   #694
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Africa
Boat: catalac 10m
Posts: 351
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

what about crossbows, amazing power and quiet, take apart quick and most law enforcers wont recognize them parts or the bolts when they are integrated in our yacht storage


Sent from East Africa via Cruisers Sailing Forum app
__________________
Goosebumps is offline  
Old 26-10-2014, 13:04   #695
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Africa
Boat: catalac 10m
Posts: 351
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

I would like to get a reaction to the serious question of American yachts considered to be armed around the world by local coastal people! Doesnt that make American yachts more liable to criminal attack by those wanting guns?


Sent from East Africa via Cruisers Sailing Forum app
__________________
Goosebumps is offline  
Old 26-10-2014, 14:36   #696
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
I would like to get a reaction to the serious question of American yachts considered to be armed around the world by local coastal people! Doesnt that make American yachts more liable to criminal attack by those wanting guns?Sent from East Africa via Cruisers Sailing Forum app
I honestly don't think it's as common on as it looks on a forum like this. I might be wrong though. I doubt even as many yanks carry as the impression is received on here. Might be another thing for US costal cruisers, but then with 11000 deaths by guns in the US in 2013, it's a dangerous place to live, even to go to school. And the basis of a US argument for guns is the only thing that will stop a bad ass with a gun is a good ass with a bigger gun. And their lay the main thinking of the American setting out to cruise around the world. A very few actually think its the solution in he rest of the world.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 26-10-2014, 14:40   #697
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Saint Lucie county FLa
Boat: 35' Pearson sloop
Posts: 383
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

For Antarctic Astrid
I'm not sure where you sail but the Caribbean has more pirates now than during the hey day of piracy. They don't fly the jolly roger but they do try to rob anyone they think is easy prey. Pirates were cut throats and thieves, today they are mainly thieves, they will board you if they can and they have been known to be violent, but that is rare.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
lesterbutch is offline  
Old 26-10-2014, 14:46   #698
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
For Antarctic Astrid
I'm not sure where you sail but the Caribbean has more pirates now than during the hey day of piracy. They don't fly the jolly roger but they do try to rob anyone they think is easy prey. Pirates were cut throats and thieves, today they are mainly thieves, they will board you if they can and they have been known to be violent, but that is rare.
Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Historically 'Pirates' weren't commonly 'cut throats', that was a later occasional trait.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 26-10-2014, 15:33   #699
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Saint Lucie county FLa
Boat: 35' Pearson sloop
Posts: 383
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Rustic Charm, that is true overall but consider Edward Teach, Blackbeard. It is widely accepted that he killed an average of 9,000 people per year during his reign. Hardly an insignificant number. And he was not even close to being the worst of the pirates.
__________________
lesterbutch is offline  
Old 26-10-2014, 15:49   #700
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
Rustic Charm, that is true overall but consider Edward Teach, Blackbeard. It is widely accepted that he killed an average of 9,000 people per year during his reign. Hardly an insignificant number. And he was not even close to being the worst of the pirates.
I always wonder how they arrive at these figures. Did he write them down in the log under daily kills? Was somebody designated official recorder? It all seems so much like plucking figures out of the air at random all these historical "facts' to me. Not just pirates but all battles as well.

I am just a natural doubter about so called "facts" I guess.

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline  
Old 26-10-2014, 16:17   #701
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,331
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

I doubt it.
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now  
Old 26-10-2014, 16:32   #702
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Saint Lucie county FLa
Boat: 35' Pearson sloop
Posts: 383
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Actually there were very good records both from those shore installations he raided and from log books on his own and those ships he plundered. While 9,000 is a best estimate it is backed up with facts. I doubt it is more than +\- 10% of error.



Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
lesterbutch is offline  
Old 26-10-2014, 16:38   #703
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
Actually there were very good records both from those shore installations he raided and from log books on his own and those ships he plundered. While 9,000 is a best estimate it is backed up with facts. I doubt it is more than +\- 10% of error.



Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Records kept in those days would be liable to gross distortions from both sides I would have thought, but, anyway, he was not a nice fellow whatever his score.

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline  
Old 26-10-2014, 16:39   #704
Registered User
 
Group9's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,599
Images: 7
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I always wonder how they arrive at these figures. Did he write them down in the log under daily kills? Was somebody designated official recorder? It all seems so much like plucking figures out of the air at random all these historical "facts' to me. Not just pirates but all battles as well.

I am just a natural doubter about so called "facts" I guess.

Coops.
There is a tendency to think that people a couple of hundred years ago, were a lot different than we are now. That's not really true, and believe it or not, people knew how to write, and people kept records. The Spanish, in particular, were meticulous record keepers of events that occurred in the new world. That's why people can still find their shipwrecks. They wrote down where they occurred and what they were carrying when lost.
__________________
Cruising again!
Group9 is offline  
Old 26-10-2014, 16:45   #705
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

I think I understand that people could write then. My doubt lies in how they got the numbers that they wrote. It is a debate that cannot be concluded by either of us, a bit like the guns on boats thing. Some believe, some doubt. We cannot go back in time and see it for ourselves.

Coops.
__________________

__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, guns

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good to name of a boat before owning a boat? (yes/no) vveerrgg General Sailing Forum 29 04-11-2014 05:30
Flare-guns and other alternatives (excluding guns) as weapons BlueSovereign Health, Safety & Related Gear 5 26-03-2009 08:01



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:15.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.