Closed Thread

Old 16-10-2014, 17:40   #601

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Here ya go

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/Sof...rticle-pho.jpg

Old 16-10-2014, 17:53   #602

LOL. I'm going down to the sheriffs office tomorrow to find out what forms I need to fill out to get a CC for that model.

Old 18-10-2014, 09:00   #603

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Sigler View Post
LOL. I'm going down to the sheriffs office tomorrow to find out what forms I need to fill out to get a CC for that model.

That line is several miles long where I live. Good luck !

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Old 18-10-2014, 15:01   #604

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

I think I'd be a little disappointed by whatever's left behind those ammo cans, but hey, you reach a certain age, you get in line, right?

Jacques
Old 18-10-2014, 17:40   #605

Boat: boatless wonder

As a fellow LBOM it'll be a race between the boat and the nursing home, and I've had all the high adventure I need.

My advice is avoid any area where you need or having a gun is a problem.

As for me I'll have a jug of wine laced with sleeping potion on the table (then dive ob and swim like Ron Ely after hitting the hidden kill switch for the engine). then come back later when the bad boys have passed out.

The original question is for you to decide.
Old 20-10-2014, 14:06   #606

Boat: Wibo 1100 36 ft

Old 21-10-2014, 18:19   #607

What about stun guns and tasers?
Old 21-10-2014, 18:35   #608

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnone View Post
What about stun guns and tasers?
They are Illegal in most countries. Fun fact. I am a certified firearms instructor and an legally allowed to carry a concealed firearm. So I can own multitudes of different types of guns but in the lovely peoples republic of Massachusetts I would be arrested for possessing a stun gun. Makes you go hmmmmmm.
Old 21-10-2014, 20:23   #609

I'm so torn on the subject. It seems, from my limited knowledge, that as much as I would want to have a rifle and a 12ga pump shotgun, that it would be too much hassle.

I'm completely comfortable around firearms, both from growing up hunting and some time in the Navy.

I drive a lot of miles per year (30K-40K) and I don't carry with me now. I know many who tell me I should.

I'm looking for an adventure. I don't want to kill anyone, but honestly I would have no trouble killing someone if the situation demanded. Hopefully with some smart planning and being able to think on my feet, I won't regret my decision when I go cruising.
Old 21-10-2014, 20:58   #610

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
I don't want to kill anyone, but honestly I would have no trouble killing someone if the situation demanded. .
sad.
Old 22-10-2014, 00:12   #611
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
sad.
Have to say that I agree. You either think you can or you don't, but, it's one of those statements that makes you sound less of a person that I would like to meet, and is best kept to yourself.

Plus, imagine that something did happen and you have this on record for anyone to find by google. Would make things a bit more complicated I would imagine.

Coops.
Old 22-10-2014, 09:21   #612

Understand the reactions. I almost didn't type it but left it as it was real.

I was on a Trident Submarine, which can kill millions from 5000+ miles away. If the situation demanded, I was ready.

Same with a firearm. I don't carry, but if necessary, I would kill someone. Sorry but true. Hope it never happens.

It's like someone who isn't willing to kill an animal to eat, but thinks nothing of it when they buy it at the grocery store.
Old 22-10-2014, 09:57   #613

Boat: Sovereign 24

Don't feel bad for wanting to protect you and yours. some would rather live in a fantasy utopian world instead of the real one.
Old 22-10-2014, 14:27   #614

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
I don't carry, but if necessary, I would kill someone. Sorry but true. Hope it never happens.

It's like someone who isn't willing to kill an animal to eat, but thinks nothing of it when they buy it at the grocery store.
just get's sadder and sadder
Old 22-10-2014, 15:19   #615

Fro the research I've done, here's how I see it:

At anchor - alarm system to alert you to their presence and maybe scare them off, means to contact local authorities, secure cabin to keep them out until the authorities arrive. A firearm would be good to have, but you simply cannot legally have/use it in this situation - and I personally fear a third world prison much more than any criminal - so no gun.

At sea - playing "turtle" in this situation is much less likely to work, since your attackers are likely to be more determined to have followed you out to sea, and the authorities (or any other help) are much further away. If the attackers have firearms and you don't, you need to surrender - playing rambo with a boat hook is more likely to get you killed. If they don't have firearms (mind you, it may not be clear whether they do or not) then use your boat hook, your machete, your molotov cocktails, or whatever other jury rigged weapons you can legally carry. With a little forethought and practice, you should win - you have the advantage of knowing the boat and not having to climb up the side and over the lifelines to get at your opponent.

So, IMO, you'd be fine without a firearm at anchor, and at sea if your attackers are unarmed. You only need a firearm for when your attacked at sea by armed opponents. The best job for this task IMO would be a bolt action high powered rifle - rested on the cabin roof, you will win any engagement with AK-47 wielding gunmen on a bobbing skiff (in all likelihood, they'll just run away once you start firing in their general direction). I don't see the purpose of a shotgun or pistol - you don't want them to get that close. What about the legal issues? If you're in international waters, no problem. If you're far enough offshore in territorial waters, use of the weapon is going to be illegal, but you have a reasonable chance of getting away with your "crime." Near shore, where somebody might hear the shots and calls the big pirates with badges, that's a roll of the dice.

So, much as I loathe the idea of having to wade through bureaucracy to carry my rifle aboard, I'd probably do it.

Feel free to take my thoughts with a grain of salt since I (like virtually everyone posting here) have no actual experience with these situations.

-- Seneca
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, guns

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: