Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2014, 06:24   #541
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Make sure you know the consequences if you plan on going to some countries that not only frown on firearms, but would likely put you away in some third world jail.

You have more of a chance of ending up in that jail than you do of needing a firearm. But, to each his own. My guns are staying at home.

BTW, before you leave, make sure you know the rules of wearing camo clothing in the country you want to go to. It too can mean a jail sentence. I've listed a number elsewhere just in the Caribbean.

The rules you are used to in Texas don't even apply in New York, and much less, in another country. Their sandbox, their rules.

They already know about this and don't care. They see the risk of almost non-existent piracy to be the bigger concern than getting thrown in the slammer in a foreign country.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-10-2014, 06:31   #542
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm starting to wonder why we don't just treat these gun threads like we do the "I don't know how to sail, but want to cross the Pacific" threads. So for now on when then is a question like "I want to have guns on my boat" why don't we just respond "just do it"?
Old 14-10-2014, 07:08   #543

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

You can call 100lb bags of shot, "ballast". Or make shot filled canvas socks for monkey fist substitutes at the end of heaving lines. You can disguise powder as "black pepper". A flintlock pistol that breaks down into unidentifiable components shouldn't be hard to design and build. A piezoelectric gas grill lighter would make a good ignition source. A 50cal barrel fits nicely inside a boom... just need a breech block and a way to load, or muzzle load. How about a radio controlled model rocket with video feed and explosive warhead, launched through the mast? I know... propane tank torpedoes. FIRE ONE! PSHEWWWWWWW! Ka-BOOOOMMMMMM! For low tech, how bout a crossbow rigged from the boom and a carbon fiber whisker pole? Disguise the arrows as boathooks. Or an ROV that can attach limped mines to hostile vessels, or take a turn with a line, cable, or chain, around the prop? Electrify your lifelines with an electric fence charger? A 10kw audio amplifier booming out an endless loop of "Loving You" by Minnie Ripperton? <shudders>

I like Joshua Slocum's trick with the carpet tacks on deck, actually.
Old 14-10-2014, 07:21   #544

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
"Military Intelligence", isn't that like an example of an 'oxymoron'

ummm, now what movie was that from?
perhaps George Carlin
Old 14-10-2014, 08:55   #545

Well, I don't think I've weighed in on this thread after all this time... because there are no answers really. Those of you who have traveled the third world know that laws or rules are often interpreted however the enforcer wishes.
The other dilemma is how much time and trouble the guns cost you vs the actual risk.. that one cant really be answered except by you for yourself. Our friends were heavily armed. In Samana DR they had to transport their AR15's etc to the police station, and leave them locked up there while they were in the country.
It seems to me the odds of being attacked are either off your boat or at anchor in a country. Either way you will not have your weapons available anyway as they will be locked up ashore or locked up on your boat.
If the world wasnt that way a lot... I would carry.
BTW: Our friends sold their weapons to various police personnel before departing!

Old 14-10-2014, 10:51   #546

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

My hero, Charlton Heston, once said: "Guns don't kill people. People kill people with their guns." (or something profound to that effect).

As much as I appreciate learning about the impact of guns on foreign travel, turtles, dress codes and real-estate, I think we're starting to run out of steam here. How's about we start a nice, new thread, like: "If my dog goes ashore and bites somebody in Liberia, what are the odds he'll come down with Ebola?"

Jacques
Old 14-10-2014, 11:34   #547
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Yeah. coops. Right thread. I was responding to the post about going cruising "IF WE COULD EVER SELL THIS HOUSE".

Threads, like rifles, don't always have sub-MOA clusters on target.

Speaking of which and oxymorons...and not at all of anyone in this forum...

...If OxyClean gets the stains out, shouldn't Oxymoron get the morons out? Of any organization?
Old 14-10-2014, 12:37   #548
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Yeah. coops. Right thread. I was responding to the post about going cruising "IF WE COULD EVER SELL THIS HOUSE".

Threads, like rifles, don't always have sub-MOA clusters on target.

Speaking of which and oxymorons...and not at all of anyone in this forum...

...If OxyClean gets the stains out, shouldn't Oxymoron get the morons out? Of any organization?
My apologies then. I was not going back to read this stuff for a second time, bad enough the first, so it seemed to be out of context.

I would love some of that stuff if it did.

Coops.
Old 14-10-2014, 14:06   #549

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
My hero, Charlton Heston, once said: "Guns don't kill people. People kill people with their guns." (or something profound to that effect).

As much as I appreciate learning about the impact of guns on foreign travel, turtles, dress codes and real-estate, I think we're starting to run out of steam here. How's about we start a nice, new thread, like: "If my dog goes ashore and bites somebody in Liberia, what are the odds he'll come down with Ebola?"

Jacques
Now that's just a ridiculous comment who uses steam to sail their boats now days? (and when did Charlton Heston ever say any thing profound).
Old 14-10-2014, 14:19   #550
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Now that's just a ridiculous comment who uses steam to sail their boats now days? (and when did Charlton Heston ever say any thing profound).

you are dead right

time to get the thread back !

FYI it is not illegal sail with fire arms on board,but it is illegal NOT to declare them when arriving in a foreign port.

certain types of weapons like fully automatic machine guns and assult rifles are illegal,but generally revolvers,automatic pistols,hunting rifles,and semi automatic rifles as well as pump action shotguns are fine in most parts of the world.....as long as you declare them to customs on arrival in a new country.
Old 14-10-2014, 14:28   #551
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Bringing weapons into Australia

Atol is right, I'm wrong (again)

After a chat with Customs about visiting vessels (all visiting vessels are registered elsewhere), which are carrying any designated weapon, prohibited weapons or restricted, all you have to do is declare them as being on board when you contact the port of arrival, being at least 96 hours prior.

Upon the usual inspection, if your weapon and ammo is appropriately stored and can be safeguarded such as in an onboard gun safe, Customs will then 'seal' the locked locker with a seal which is tamper proof. If it is tampered with upon final inspection at your port of leaving you will be prosecuted.

If you are carrying weapons of a particular nature, e.g prohibited weapons, which usually included automatic weapons, they 'May' be seized and as Atol says returned to you at your expense at your port of leaving. This is discretionary on the officers at the time. It all depends on whether they believe they are safe enough to be left on the vessel.

Always declare and you will always NOT be prosecuted. He must have a bit of a sense of humour because he then stipulated that if you declare a kilo of coke, then you will still be prosecuted.

The four weeks notice relates only to the purchase by Australians of restricted items such as weapons for the importing into Australia.

And of course, none of this applies to Australian registered vessels of which the usual state or territory, and federal laws apply even if you are coming from over seas. Though 'declare' and you will avoid prosecution (unless it's a kilo of coke).
if you are interested rustic charm actually went into the customs in Australia and clarified for the members on cf who would like to carry guns on their vessels when entering Australia,if you look back to page 11 forward we had a very interesting discussion .

you will also find that the laws regarding firearms onboard are pretty much the same the world over
Old 14-10-2014, 16:02   #552

Quote:
New thread: "Steam or Diesel...?" It'll be almost as good as "Gas or Diesel?" or the ever popular: "Shall I remove the inboard diesel to allow room for my guns and get an outboard?"

Old 14-10-2014, 17:36   #553

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you are dead right

time to get the thread back !

FYI it is not illegal sail with fire arms on board,but it is illegal NOT to declare them when arriving in a foreign port.

certain types of weapons like fully automatic machine guns and assult rifles are illegal,but generally revolvers,automatic pistols,hunting rifles,and semi automatic rifles as well as pump action shotguns are fine in most parts of the world.....as long as you declare them to customs on arrival in a new country.
I know you meant to say "semi-automatic pistols" (Uzzis and Mack-10s are frowned upon in most places), but for the rest, and unless you want to spend most of your stay sitting on a hard wooden bench in the local Gendarmerie, don't even try to enter French waters (Martinique, Guadeloupe and New Caledonia included) with anything that goes "bang!" unless you have a formal invitation to do so.

Jacques
Old 14-10-2014, 17:48   #554
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
I know you meant to say "semi-automatic pistols" (Uzzis and Mack-10s are frowned upon in most places), but for the rest, and unless you want to spend most of your stay sitting on a hard wooden bench in the local Gendarmerie, don't even try to enter French waters (Martinique, Guadeloupe and New Caledonia included) with anything that goes "bang!" unless you have a formal invitation to do so.

Jacques
why would you confuse an uzzi or a mack ten with a pistol?

I have declared my weapons without any problems in many more French terretories than you mention with out any problem
Old 14-10-2014, 18:04   #555
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"who uses steam to sail their boats now days? "
Ergh....most or all of the capital ships of the USN are steam powered these days.
That's right, STEAM. The nuclear reactor only is there to boil the water that drives these STEAMSHIPS. Ain't a better way to drive ships been found yet.
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, guns