Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 17:20   #391
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,029
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Rustic, if you think the two "stories" are from some game of telephone, that's your privilege. The gentlemen I knew didn't spin tales, he brought up the incident as part of a longer conversation. Whether your "Christian" family "pistol" story in Nassau was invented by someone borrowing his encounter, I have no idea. But in case you missed some part of an education, you should know that there are a few very good and effective cons and they are repeated daily all over the world. Consider how many home breakins and burglaries start with someone answering their doorbell, in the middle of the night on a country road, to hear "My car broke down, can I borrow your phone?"

Yup. Couple thousand of THOSE get documented every year or two, and the funny thing is? They're all true, according to the police reports.

Sam story all the time, and the innocents amongst up fall for the same con, every time.
__________________

__________________
hellosailor is offline  
Old 09-10-2014, 17:37   #392
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Rustic, if you think the two "stories" are from some game of telephone, that's your privilege. The gentlemen I knew didn't spin tales, he brought up the incident as part of a longer conversation. Whether your "Christian" family "pistol" story in Nassau was invented by someone borrowing his encounter, I have no idea. But in case you missed some part of an education, you should know that there are a few very good and effective cons and they are repeated daily all over the world. Consider how many home breakins and burglaries start with someone answering their doorbell, in the middle of the night on a country road, to hear "My car broke down, can I borrow your phone?"

Yup. Couple thousand of THOSE get documented every year or two, and the funny thing is? They're all true, according to the police reports.

Sam story all the time, and the innocents amongst up fall for the same con, every time.
I don't know what a 'game of telephone' is. All I did was post the story. And it's not 'MY" story, it's this guy's Neil, link supplied. All I'm pointing out is it's a very similar coincidence and could possibly be the same incident. Story's do get changed bit by bit when they are handed down third hand and you are repeating something that is hearsay.
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 09-10-2014, 18:39   #393
Registered User
 
crazyoldboatguy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Chicago
Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'
Posts: 857
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Or perhaps folks use a similar ruse to get on board because it sounds plausible. Folks use the broke down car gambit to get into folks homes. Traveling scam artists come to folks homes and tell them, "hey, I was working on a home down the street and have some leftover (fill in the blank) material - I could fix up your (fill in the blank) with some and come back tomorrow".

Scams sound familiar because they work in a similar situation. To infer obliquely that the story is probably some internet meme, also uses familiar situations to suggest a common source. Thereby insinuating the story may be false.

But I'm sure you wouldn't be doing that now, right?

Now, back to the original reason for the stream. Rustic Charm, any suggestions to folks about how to properly enter a country while possessing firearms so as not to violate local laws and customs?
__________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
crazyoldboatguy is offline  
Old 09-10-2014, 18:46   #394
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,593
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Also getting back to the original question. Does anyone have any pictures of bolted built in safes that foreign countries have approved as a proper locker and put a seal on instead of making you secure them on shore. It seems that if you have a proper safe it may make the process easier.
__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline  
Old 09-10-2014, 18:46   #395
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Or perhaps folks use a similar ruse to get on board because it sounds plausible. Folks use the broke down car gambit to get into folks homes. Traveling scam artists come to folks homes and tell them, "hey, I was working on a home down the street and have some leftover (fill in the blank) material - I could fix up your (fill in the blank) with some and come back tomorrow".

Scams sound familiar because they work in a similar situation. To infer obliquely that the story is probably some internet meme, also uses familiar situations to suggest a common source. Thereby insinuating the story may be false.

But I'm sure you wouldn't be doing that now, right?

Now, back to the original reason for the stream. Rustic Charm, any suggestions to folks about how to properly enter a country while possessing firearms so as not to violate local laws and customs?
The same advice that most are giving, always declare them on arrival. Do your research prior to going to another country just to make sure you don't have to give notice in advance. BUT, always declare them.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 09-10-2014, 18:51   #396
Registered User
 
crazyoldboatguy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Chicago
Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'
Posts: 857
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Good, consistent responses are what is most helpful. Now, I'd like to hear more about the way locals would approve you keeping the firearms on the vessel in some sort of locked safe with a proper seal on it.

Any suggestions Rustic Charm?
__________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
crazyoldboatguy is offline  
Old 09-10-2014, 18:53   #397
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post

Now, back to the original reason for the stream. Rustic Charm, any suggestions to folks about how to properly enter a country while possessing firearms so as not to violate local laws and customs?
Without the specificity of which country this thread is just a collection of opinion and banter...
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline  
Old 09-10-2014, 18:56   #398
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Good, consistent responses are what is most helpful. Now, I'd like to hear more about the way locals would approve you keeping the firearms on the vessel in some sort of locked safe with a proper seal on it.

Any suggestions Rustic Charm?
No offence Crazyoldboatguy, but there are 27 pages to this thread and a great many have researched and made suggestions based on what they have found with visiting different countries. You just need to read through the thread and you will get quite a few. Though with some of them I'd still be checking with the authorities.

Here in Australia I took a stroll down to the local Customs office and asked. On entry to Australia you need to declare and that's it. To avoid Customs from taking them whilst your on your visit, you will need secure storage on the vessel, which would have to meet local requirements. I didn't ask, but I can tell you it means a strong box that cant be removed. Customs will then seal this locker/strong box until you leave Australia again. But that's just Australia.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 09-10-2014, 19:00   #399
Registered User
 
crazyoldboatguy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Chicago
Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'
Posts: 857
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Perfectly capable of reading the stream. I have been monitoring it because I am interested, Just hoping to keep the opining about how nutty we Merkins are about keeping any kind of firearm to a minimum. There are many posts here that do that and I hoped to limit the wading I was doing.

Since most of the useful info does appear on previous pages, maybe this stream has run its course.
__________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
crazyoldboatguy is offline  
Old 09-10-2014, 21:51   #400
Registered User
 
jeanathon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WNC mountains U.S.
Boat: 1968 Hinterhoel Redwing
Posts: 513
And what would be the best protectant for a blue steeled gun on a boat?
__________________
Let's ban together to ban sillycone....
jeanathon is offline  
Old 09-10-2014, 22:08   #401
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,310
Images: 75
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
And what would be the best protectant for a blue steeled gun on a boat?
have always used a light coating of 3in one oil,or sewing machine oil to keep the rust off, better than wd40 that dries out fairly quickly.

i have sprayed wd 40 on the inside of the cotton rifle rifle bag in the past and find this also prevents rust once it gets nice and saturated
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline  
Old 09-10-2014, 22:19   #402
Registered User
 
crazyoldboatguy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Chicago
Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'
Posts: 857
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

I'll stick with my S&W stainless steel 6" barrel .357 magnum revolver or my Ruger P90 stainless steel .45 acp pistol. No rust - no worries.

Not sure a handgun is best for self defense. 20 ga coach gun loaded with double ought shot probably best. Can't get that in SS so the light weight oil a64pilot recommends is best.
__________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
crazyoldboatguy is offline  
Old 10-10-2014, 04:16   #403
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,308
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post

Not sure a handgun is best for self defense.
Makes me wonder why have them them.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is online now  
Old 10-10-2014, 04:30   #404
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Makes me wonder why have them them.
Makes me wonder why no one has ever asked about accidentally blowing a hole in the boat below the waterline...

Of course no one ever misses
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline  
Old 10-10-2014, 05:29   #405
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,593
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Makes me wonder why have them them.
The purpose of a hand gun is to fight your way to a long gun. So on a boat where you can keep long guns hand guns arent as needed. They work great but not at distance
__________________

__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, guns

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good to name of a boat before owning a boat? (yes/no) vveerrgg General Sailing Forum 29 04-11-2014 05:30
Flare-guns and other alternatives (excluding guns) as weapons BlueSovereign Health, Safety & Related Gear 5 26-03-2009 08:01



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:21.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.