Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2014, 11:30   #241
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Please no. We've gone this far without starting a bar fight. Lets not get into the why. That's where it just goes to hell in a hand basket. It's like arguing why beer is better then whiskey or steak is better then chicken. There is no end to the war and millions will perish in the process

I know I know, I was feelingly a little devilish there

This is a completely moral free thread , absolutely, yes sir

dave
Old 25-09-2014, 12:00   #242
cruiser

Mrs. Kenomac is pictured demonstrating proper technique on her Vepr 12 semi automatic 12ga shotgun, the perfect choice for cruising couples along the US coast when complimented by it's little brother the Vepr 7.62x39 for longer range targets. Shown here with a five round hunting magazine so as not to frighten any of the more timid CF members, but more fun to shoot with a 10 or 12 round magazine and howitzer style muzzle brake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vepr12_aimpoint_8972web.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	88778  
Old 25-09-2014, 12:08   #243
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Mrs. Kenomac is pictured demonstrating proper technique on her Vepr 12 semi automatic 12ga shotgun, the perfect choice for cruising couples along the US coast when complimented by it's little brother the Vepr 7.62x39 for longer range targets. Shown here with a five round hunting magazine so as not to frighten any of the more timid CF members, but more fun to shoot with a 10 or 12 round magazine and howitzer style muzzle brake.

I suspect Id be "drummed out" if I went pheasant shooting with that. Obviously in the US, your average shooter needs to fire a lot of cartridges to kill a duck or two it seems ( or perhaps they are harder to kill )

dave
Old 25-09-2014, 12:19   #244

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I suspect Id be "drummed out" if I went pheasant shooting with that.

dave

Hey be respectful I am sure she has a name and doesn't like to be called that, she is a person you know. But yes I would like to take her hunting too
Old 25-09-2014, 12:27   #245
Nearly an old salt

Red face Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Quote:
Hey be respectful I am sure she has a name and doesn't like to be called that, she is a person you know. But yes I would like to take her hunting too
It would make a welcome change from a bunch of hairy assed country boys in wellingtons , thats for sure.

dave
Old 25-09-2014, 13:07   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I suspect Id be "drummed out" if I went pheasant shooting with that. Obviously in the US, your average shooter needs to fire a lot of cartridges to kill a duck or two it seems ( or perhaps they are harder to kill )

dave
I think you misspelled "gang members."

Most people I know, like myself, own guns for defensive purposes. Sure they're fun to shoot and all of them have appreciated in value, but the primary purpose is self defense, specifically while in the home.

I don't understand why people keep looking at the hunting scenario. Sure people hunt with hunting rifles or shotguns, but home defense requires a different sort of weapon, capable of rapid fire and multiple rounds.

I should have equal or better firepower than intruders, in addition to better training, in order to ensure survival. That's the goal, it is not to be another statistic on the 6 o'clock newscast.

For those who travel the world and feel that they don't need to protect themselves, that's a personal decision that they should make only for themselves and no one else. There are cruisers getting killed all over the world, for a multitude of reasons. If you want to be the victim of a predator, so be it. Yes, the odds are slim, but they do exist.

It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. That's the entire point of safety and rescue gear and the ditch bag onboard, right?
Old 25-09-2014, 13:15   #247
Nearly an old salt

:you did notice the

dave

PS: Ive promised not to descend into the "why guns" debate, merely to add to you point that , safety equipment has limitations, often isn't usable, can lead to over confidence ( well I don't believe that ), etc etc, just like guns

dave
Old 25-09-2014, 14:15   #248

There aren't too many people who would argue against safety equipment onboard. They might claim varying levels of success using various items, but generally speaking people encourage each other to carry safety gear, hoping that they never have to use it.

I'm certainly going to carry flares, EPIRBs, strobes, DSC enabled VHF and HF radios, emergency rations, etc. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

You're not telling people that safety gear is useless, are you?
Old 25-09-2014, 15:01   #249
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

statistically anti lock brakes have had no effect on the number of accidents, one theory that I do not ascribe to is that drivers know they have anti lock brakes and drive faster, don't start stopping as early etc.

It sort of the placebo effect in reverse. I am sure that some idiots will go places when they are carrying that they won't if they aren't. I'm one of those idiots, I wouldn't venture into the Alaskan outback with a bell and bear spray.

Anyway it's possible that possession of safety devices will have you take more risks than you would if you didn't have them etc.

I digress, but do you know how you tell the difference between a black and brown bears scat?
Old 25-09-2014, 15:05   #250

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Now it's a forum on the engineering of guns.
Old 25-09-2014, 15:08   #251
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Gotta be careful with statistics, especially automobile ones anyway.
I was going to Germany, and I wanted a car for the Autobahn, I knew my VW Diesel Golf wasn't it and in 93 Chevy had come out with the new Z28, and it was the quickest and fastest Z28 that had ever been built, so guess what I bought.
Anyway when the NTHSB, and the insurance crash tests came out, it was also the safest American car of it's size available, two years or so later when the accident stats came out, you were more likely to be in a fatal accident in it than any other American car of it's size. Reason is because of the type of person that bought the Camaro and how they drove it, as opposed say to a Volvo station wagon.
Old 25-09-2014, 15:09   #252

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: Guns on a boat, yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
marines can't read?
I don't doubt that they can. I read quite well but in driving, as in life, I have occasionally made wrong turns and found myself in a place where it was difficult to get turned back around again.
Old 25-09-2014, 16:33   #253
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
No. Pistols and rifles that are magazine fed and that require the trigger to be pulled for each round fired are termed semi-automatic weapons.
Quote:
A more correct term would be auto-loader. Most people and the news media just see the word "auto" and pee themselves that it is a full automatic machine gun and don't take the time do a little research.
Sticking to pistols...

So why do they call it a .45 automatic?

I get there is misused terminology but I have seen that stamped on the side of the gun?

Quote:
It's like arguing why beer is better then whiskey or steak is better then chicken.
You mean you don't know?

Well let me enlighten you...
Old 25-09-2014, 16:41   #254
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Gotta be careful with statistics, especially automobile ones anyway.
I was going to Germany, and I wanted a car for the Autobahn, I knew my VW Diesel Golf wasn't it and in 93 Chevy had come out with the new Z28, and it was the quickest and fastest Z28 that had ever been built, so guess what I bought.
Anyway when the NTHSB, and the insurance crash tests came out, it was also the safest American car of it's size available, two years or so later when the accident stats came out, you were more likely to be in a fatal accident in it than any other American car of it's size. Reason is because of the type of person that bought the Camaro and how they drove it, as opposed say to a Volvo station wagon.
The problem with statistics is terminology and definitions.

Safety? Safest? To what definition. I don't have the stats but perhaps the data counfounded "frequency" of accident with "survivability" or "injury severity"

We can infer that Camaro drivers fit a "profile" that might increase frequency. We also have heard that Volvo's have high "survivability."

I don't dispute that the above is probably true but when comparing safety stats (or any stats) the definitions are important.

I also like the statement, "...safest car of its size."

The Smart car may be the safest car of "its" size but I sure as hell won't drive one on a freeway or autobahn...

Semi Trailer 100, Smart Car 0 - F (still) = MA
Old 25-09-2014, 16:47   #255
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
The problem with statistics is terminology and definitions.
I have to agree.
Like "Nine out of ten people like Chili Crab"

There is no information on the poor sucker who doesnt like Chili Crab. But he has forever been stigmatised by this statement.

I can only hope the Nine never find out where he lives.......
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, guns