Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2008, 07:01   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 44 - Safari Tu
Gulfstar cruising family getting ready

Hi all,

The boat is out of the water, the project list is long, and we're trying to save our pennies... we're getting ready for a year of cruising!

We'll be on Safari Tu, a Gulfstar 44 headed from Newport, RI to the caribbean in the fall of 2009. Our kids will be 12 and 9 when we depart.

These forums have been hugely helpful as we get ready to go - thanks to all the frequent posters for sharing your experience and advice.

Right now my project list is 3 pages long - and it seems to never get any shorter...

Scott
Safari Tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 07:27   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Do the major projects first. The boat will never be ready. Like the Golden Gate bridge. Once they finish painting it. It's time to start all over. Besides we need a few small projects along the way. We don't want to have too much fun!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 09:49   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Welcome to the Forum, Scott! You and your family are bound to enjoy a year in the Caribbean!
Old 16-12-2008, 12:18   #4

Welcome Scott, I'm a newcomer. We bought a 45' Morgan and spent twenty years building out the interior with the thoughts of ocean sailing. Needless, to say we never made it out of the Chesepeake on that boat. Long story. I wish you luck and please post your adventures. Diane
Janddhager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 13:24   #5

Welcome Scott,

As one who has been down this road getting your boat ready for a great trip I have a few suggestions. One is to plan on a good shakedown cruise! You live in one of the best areas in the world for boat work, parts and excellent resources - don't waste that opportunity! We worked on our boat for 4 years and when we launched we thought that we were all set. We stayed around Narragansett Bay for 2 seasons (we are still here) and I have found several things that I want to work on, change, alter etc. Several of the items required the boat to be hauled so I could work on underwater issues. Do not overlook this possibility! By finding the problem early you can haul your boat if neccessary, repair it here with people you know and trust. Being in Newport you could probably find any part you want, repair your boat and be on your way in a matter of days. Once you leave you will find this as not so easy or cheap to do. Plan at least a full week of sailing around your home waters and sail all day every day in all conditions to check everything out. Once you are happy, then leave for warmer waters and enjoy yourself.

Scott
S/V Invitation
Cheoy Lee 41

P.S. You have a great cruising boat there! My brother has a Peterson 44 which is very similar - it's an awesome boat!
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 15:51   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
I have the same boat! Our GS is a 1982, and looks just like your girl. We're in Florida and hope to be leaving for some cruising next year. Probably just Bahamas first year. Do you have the Perkins 4-154?
Old 16-12-2008, 16:52   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
Welcome Safari Tu:

I also have two kids currently 12 and 10. We were supposed to do the Baja Ha Ha this year. We got the boat to San Diego (from SF Bay) but decided that it wasn't going to work so now we have our sights set on next year. It seems that you can never get a boat fixed and completely ready to go. I think that the list never gets shorter but hopefully the expense and complexity of completing the list dminishes. We've had a couple of years of shake down and the boat is just starting to be completely ready. Good luck I hope everything works out for you.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 20:47   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Scott,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here. Most questions will get answers. The best of luck on your cruising plans.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 21:14   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here.

The others are right. The list is never done. I looked at a boat this year and the owner brought out his 3 page list of things to do and he only came from Indonesia!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 06:39   #10

Gulfstar - Perkins 4-154

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish62 View Post
I have the same boat! Our GS is a 1982, and looks just like your girl. We're in Florida and hope to be leaving for some cruising next year. Probably just Bahamas first year. Do you have the Perkins 4-154?
Hi Starfish,

Yes indeed, we have the same blue monster in our spacious engine room. Do you have the shop manual? All I have is the short operator's manual, which isn't much help when I need to figure stuff out like how to change the impeller, what kind of air filter I need, etc. Happy to compare notes with you on how the engine/boat are set up...

Best rgds
Safari Tu
Old 18-12-2008, 14:43   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tu View Post
Hi Starfish,

Yes indeed, we have the same blue monster in our spacious engine room. Do you have the shop manual? All I have is the short operator's manual, which isn't much help when I need to figure stuff out like how to change the impeller, what kind of air filter I need, etc. Happy to compare notes with you on how the engine/boat are set up...

Best rgds
Safari Tu
Not only do I have the shop manual, but I have. . . wait for it. . . the wiring diagram for the whole boat!!!!!! Send me a pm with your mailing address and I'll make copies for you next week when I get back to the office. There is no air filter, by the way. In all honesty, the shop manual is plain jane (pretty simple old engine, really) but the wiring diagram is VERY nice to have if your boat is like mine, which is to say that ALL of the wiring harness is red. I have a Fawcett lift pump and the 60 gph Racor with a Baldwin primary fuel filter that I'll be trading out for a Racor after I get through the rest of the wish list!
Old 18-12-2008, 15:31   #12

Boat: Tashiba 40
Don't be too afraid too take off before everything is perfect or you'll never do it. If you take your trip to the Caribbean in short hops (which is most of the fun) you'll find yards and parts as needed along the way. There are great historical places for the kids to visit down the East Coast and you can get in some offshore cruising and overnighters along the way. Once you leave the Mother Land working on your boat does get more expensive. The Bahamas used to be reasonable but now they have imposed a 45% duty on all parts where they used to allow parts for propulsion to be imported for free. So bring plenty of spares. Just don't sit at dock to long.
Old 18-12-2008, 19:37   #13

thanks for the welcome

wow, this is a friendly forum!

I feel like we have a whole army of people cheering us on - I hope we can give back a little as we gain more experience

thanks again for all the tips and words of encouragement, and thanks to the administrators who keep everything working smoothly

-Safari Tu

Tags
cruising, family, gulfstar