Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 18:32   #1

Grounded in Colorado

Hello All, been away from the deep blue for too long and planning to make a change. I landed in Colorado after leaving Alaska 25 plus years ago after having run a 55 ft Stevens MY for several years and cruising from San Diego to Whittier Ak and several trips to/from Seattle.
Guess, even after years raising cattle and such, I never quite flushed the salt water out of my veins. So, I'm gonna sell the ranch, buy a boat, and see how long it takes to get tired of sailing the Caribbean or wherever looks/sounds good.
If things go as planned, I'll be looking for that boat this summer. Sure like the looks and reputation of the Hinckley B-40 but they are pricier, even with lots of years and miles on them. I'm single so the "chic magnet" potential is a plus as I'll also need a first mate.
I am a retired electronics tech and have always felt that if I fixed it, it was done right. A feeling you don't always get when someone else does it. So the boat I'll be looking for has to be basically sound but maybe in need of updated electronics and, or cosmetics.
While I don't plan to do much, I'd like for the boat to be legal to do a charter occasionally, and therefore US built(jones act) another plus for a Hinckley.
Soooo, after all that. Any suggestions, I know that's a wide open door, but I don't know it all and love to learn. Thanks
Jim Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 18:34   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Grounded in Colorado

Welome. Where in Colorado are you?

Hinckley's are absolutely gorgeous yachts, however the interior layout of the B-40 isn't the greatest, especially if you're considering the possibility of chartering and having a lot of people aboard. Best of luck in your search for a boat
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 20:12   #3

Out east of Colorado Springs.25 years ago the eastern prairie reminded me of the ocean with a few anchor lights here and there, but it's filled up now.
Old 06-03-2014, 20:26   #4

Boat: Vancouver 27

25 years is a good run. I just spent the winter out in Boulder, CO and felt that was perhaps a bit too long away from the boat

You might find some good reading here: Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
There is an excellent boat list towards the end.

Best of luck

Ryan
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 00:59   #5

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24

Welcome Jim,
I spent 10 years in Monument...built an Earthship up in the foothills. I'm in Costa Rica right now listening to the surf from the beach in the background. I will be heading to Florida next month to work on my boat .
Old 07-03-2014, 03:52   #6
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Lots of familiar pieces here. We have been spending more and more time in Colorado lately. Bought some property north of Ft. Collins, and have a new grandson in Denver/Boulder area to visit too. Just spent a month there over the holidays.

We're actually going the other way a little. I've always lived next to an ocean due to former career. now we're interested in the mountains for the change. Plan is to cruise on the boat 6-9 months a year, then put the boat on the hard for hurricane season and go spend it in the Rockies. As you know, it's real nice up in Fort Collins in the summer and early fall. Perfect time to NOT be in the hurricane belt.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:26   #7

Lived in Denver a long time myself (hence the screen-name). Have uncles and cousins in the general area of Calhan/Elbert/Elizabeth.

There are plenty of reservoirs around there where you can learn to sail, if you want to. Smaller boats than a 40-footer, obviously, but you will probably learn sail handling and trim, and the effects on the boat, better in a smaller boat anyway. I first learned to sail when I lived in Omaha, NE. Kind of a ways from you, but there is a very active sailing club on Cherry Creek Reservoir in Denver. Would be kind of surprised if the Springs doesn't have something similar.

Good luck to you.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:29   #8
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I think there's one up on Horsetooth Res, too.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:10   #9

Canibul,
My plan sounds similar, I,m planning to spend most of hurricane season in Alaska filling my kids freezer with halibut and salmon. I've considered trying to trade my place here in Co for a good boat but it sounds too complicated.
As far as sailing, I pulled a 22 ft sloop to Belize for a couple of months. What a great place for learning to sail. Sailing sucks in Colorado. Too much lightning, no wind or blowing a storm. Where is the best place to summer a boat? Jim
Old 18-03-2014, 18:04   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!

Chic magnets are the ones you see in luxury powerboat magazines with several staterooms with individual heads. Price: A gazillion or two. Of course that's just my opinion.

I think it takes a really special woman to want to sail a boat with just one head aboard and might bounce around a bit. They are out there and there are a few here on the forum and they are very special indeed.

Your plan sounds great. Somewhere I've seen your name before so I believe you to be no stranger to the sea. Good luck in your new pursuit.

kind regards,