Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 10:22   #1

Greetins From Raleigh NC

Hello! I have been lurking on these forums for a year or more and decided to introduce myself. I am not currently a cruiser, but it is part of the “life plan” and marital agreement I required of my wife. I am 37 and live in NC with 2 kids.

I bought a San Juan 21 last year and have had a great time working and sailing her this past year. She is a 1976 and was foundationally in great shape when I bought her, though I have made several improvements. Last winter I refit all standing and running rigging, replaced bulkheads with large aluminum brackets, drilled and filled all through deck fittings to avoid any core rot, completely rebuilt the basic electrical system and made trailer repair. I keep her on a trailer with the mast up at a local marina and sail her often. She has never had bottom paint, which is great. This winter I will repaint her stem to stern, drop and refurbish the keel, maintenance on the rudder, and replace trailer bunks. This will leave me with just the need for sails the following year and maintenance from there on.

I grew up in Florida and learned to sail on a 13’ Capri. Then I rented/borrowed/begged my way onto boats through college. I served in the island nation of Kiribati in the Peace Corps for two years which introduced me to the cruising life. A handful of cruisers made it to my island of Butaritari, and being the only English speaker, I got to know these folks pretty well. This solidified my desire to cruise. I actually had my own local outrigger canoe there and was purportedly the first white guy to have one on that island. I-Kiribati are widely held as the masters of canoe building in the Pacific. I also crewed a passage from New Bern to St Augustine on a friend of a friend’s 48’ Fountaine Pajot a few years ago. Nice boat.

So, I will lurk mostly, but pitch in when I have 2 cents to share. I am largely active on the SJ21 forums. My plan in brief for cruising is to work till the kids go to college, then buy the best ready-to-sail boat I can afford, sail the Caribbean for 6-12 months, repair/refit as desire and need be, then head out for a couple years with hopes of returning to Kiribati even if they have abandoned the place due to global warming. My SJ 21 is all the boat I intend to own before then, but we plan to get bareboat certified next year and then start chartering until we make the big purchase to get experience and know what we like. I see the SJ as a keeper boat that I don’t ever intend to sell as it is inexpensive to maintain and store.

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences and knowledge!

Cheers,

Kuriti (Kiribati for Chris)
kuriti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:25   #2

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: Greetins From Raleigh NC

Welcome to CF Kuriti/Chris, it is a great forum to lurk in!

Glad to see another person who started on the small boys!
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:36   #3

Boat: Manta 42

Welcome aboard.

We also live in the Raleigh area. We "commute" to Little Washington on the Pamlico almost every weekend --a quick 2 hour drive (US64/264) -- to our boat there. There are a few marinas in that area, McCotters has a ramp to launch and from there to the middle of the river, and across from Blount's Bay is a few minutes sail.

If you want more information about the area, just shout.

S/V Galileo
perkie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:49   #4

Thanks Perkie! I got the family out to Shackleford island and then Cape Lookout via the inside route passed Harkers Island (swing keel ) this spring and wanted to do another weekend this year but life intervened. I will be getting to know both sounds and the Neuse over the next several years as my 9 yr old boy learns to sail. I will definitely hit you up for some skinny as time passes. Many SJ 21s were made in New Bern and still have a bit of a following down that way.
kuriti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:36   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard, Kuriti! That whole area is great for cruising...I love Cape Lookout.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 17:03   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and posting.
kind regards,