Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2012, 07:23   #1

Boat: 1974 Catalina 27
Greetings: New sailboat owner in hawaii

Well never spent five minutes on a sail boat but I came across a good deal and decided to purchase a 1974 Catalina 27. Just seeing if anyone on this forum are located in Oahu? Would like to find some others in the area. Thanks
Fkuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 15:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Greetings: New sailboat owner in hawaii

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Fkuras.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 15:50   #3

Boat: Pearson 26

Congrats! But I'm about as far from Oahu as you can get and still be in the U.S. (Nantucket). Good luck with the boat and have fun with it.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:01   #4

Boat: Corsair 31UC

Fkuras,
I'm currently in Key West, but I'm considering a transfer to Oahu...just wondering if you have your boat in a slip? Mast up storage? Any difficulties in finding a spot to keep the boat?
Thanks, Dan
dskeywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:33   #5

Yes I have it in a slip as of right now. I was fortunate enough to work it out with the seller to put me on as a co owner of the slip until I could move it. I'm currently on a waiting list at another marina that is mainly military. That's about as much as I know about slips in Hawaii. Very new to the sailing community.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:10   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and congratulations!
There are a few Oahu owners that are ocassional contributors here on the forum. One owns a 26 foot Folkboat and might be in your marina but I can't guarantee that.
I'm here on the Big Island so can't help you even though I'd consider it a pleasure to give you sailing lessons.
I used to teach sailing on Catalina 27s out of Coronado in the 70s and taught the Red Cross sailing courses in Pearl Harbor in the 80s. I lived aboard a ketch in Pearl Harbor for several years in the 80s. Is that where you have your name for a slip? If so, I hope you get there soon. You might try Iroquois Lagoon for a slip and if you live on the Ewa plain somewhere it would be easy access. I think its by far the nicest little marina on the island.
kind regards,
Old 03-08-2012, 11:12   #7

Oh, I do recommend that you start sailing lessons at Pearl Harbor or wherever else the military MWR might offer them as soon as possible just to get you started off on the right foot.
kind regards,
Old 03-08-2012, 19:55   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome to the forum. I too lived on the Big Isalnd
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:26   #9

Boat: OEM, proportional

G'day Fkuras, welcome!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:02   #10

If you post in the destinations thread under the title forums on the bar above. Have to click on forums and get rid of the pop up and scroll down a bit then start a new thread with a title like "New Sailor in Honolulu" you might get more bites from those who have boats there.
kind regards,
Old 04-08-2012, 11:08   #11

Boat: Cal 2-30

Welcome to CF. I am currently in Oahu and will be hauling out in Keehi soon.
crashkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:39   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

We used to have our boat in the Ala Wai many moons ago. Before that, had my boat at LaMariana Marina in Keehi lagoon when I was in the Navy. Things have changed since then but the State Harbor in Keehi Lagoon probably has slips available or a very short waiting list. I was offered a slip less than a year after going on the wait list. Decided to stay in Kona. Keehi isn't the greatest place but hear they are trying to clear out the druggies and low lifes. Hope the colorful characters manage to stay around. Thanks to the Japan earthquake, the piers at the Keehi Harbor are being/have been replaced which is a huge improvement.

I bought a Columbia 26 when I was stationed at Barbers Point in the '70s. Had some lake sailing experience as a kid on a Sunfish. Basically atarting devouring sailing magazines and just went out and learned on my own. Hawaii is a great place for that as other than close in reefs and the big rocks, there is not much to hurt you and the weather is almost guaranteed to be grand sailing off Waikiki. Sailed that boat to all but the Big Island and had many great adventures. Of course since all my money went into the boat, couldn't afford to do anything but go sailing. Sometimes you just have to suffer the consequences of rash actions. A few boats and cruising most of the East and West Coast, a trip to French Polynesia, and a solo sail to Kona, here we are in Kona.

If you get this way, drop me a pm on this site and would be glad to help in anyway I can.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:19   #13

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

I bought my Cat as a sailing novice, widely read but only three hours on dinghys. My experience is that hey look after you if you don't push too hard. Catalina's are not too fast, make sure your motor runs well and reliably on days when the wind is good for sailing home. Check out the fuel consumption too. Hawaii is a long way from anywhere else.
And advertise here for crew, two handing is much easier if the crew can keep it pointed by the compass. That way you'll learn how everything works. First hand.
Good luck, fair winds.
Old 08-08-2012, 21:07   #14

Thank you for the replies, I'm sending this a second time because it doesn't look like it took the first time. I do plan on doing the mwr sailing courses but I know they don't always show you all the ropes. I also like to build a good network of good people to share information and if travels ever cross good people to mingle with. If anyone wants to and me on facebook it's frank.kuras@facebook.com thanks again everyone and smooth sailing.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:48   #15

Boat: Tartan T4400

Fkuras Put you name on the list at the Ala Wai the have been going through it and getting it cleaned up. Also Waikiki Yacht has slips and a few smaller ones have been available lately. WYC also has adult sailing clesses. Guy is a very good instructor. I know Iroquois went private when a contractor took over the housing and lagoon not sure of its status. Hawaii Yacht Club has a pretty active cruising group.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote