Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2010, 00:40   #1

Boat: Westerly Centaur
Greetings from West Virginny

Hi all,
I've been enjoying the forum for some weeks so thought it only polite to join.
I'm an Englishman stuck in the mountains of West Virginia with my American Girlfriend.
I've seen enough mountains now thanks and my plan is to move down to Florida near my uncle and buy a liveaboard. From there i hope to sail to the Caribbean on a long term basis.
Still trying to convince "She that must be obeyed" that its a wonderful plan and a wonderful way to live, but shes still tentative. Said I can't get a boat for a least three months dammit.
I've promised her wifi and a shower, what else could she possibly want?
The boat will have to be cheap and I mean cheap. We survive on my war pension and i'll be looking at the $5k mark. I'm happy to put the graft in to get it seaworthy but it'll be no floating condo. The 500 bucks a month thread is my target.
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 02:08   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Hi Hill Billy, and welcome to CF. Sounds like you have some challenges ahead, especially looking for a $5k boat. They are out there but most are pretty spartan, and it sounds like your partner is looking for some creature comforts. A decent shower means at least about 35'. WiFi come with a lot of marinas now but if you are looking at the $500/month lifestyle you won't be staying in marinas. Not sure what you mean by "put in the graft" to get her seaworthy, but it will take some $$ for upgrades and equipment not just labor.

Hopefully, you can get "her" on board 100% because it will take a team effort to make this work. Don't know your ages but I'm guessing you aren't kids that don't mind living the minimalist lifestyle. Anyway, good luck and let us know how we can help.
Old 19-08-2010, 02:24   #3

Thanks for the warm welcome Doodles.
I'm 49 and the boss is 33. Yes, I expect a lot of hard work to get one at that price up to standard. It will mean a tight belt and doing it over time. Fortunately my uncle is a seasoned sailor down in St Augustine, so I'll be grilling him at every opportunity. The shower will probably be a stirrup pump on a garden hose. I pamper that women too much sometimes.
As far as living the minimalist goes, it doesn't get more minimalist than these mountains. I would be closer to a store bang in the middle of the Caribbean than we are now.
Old 19-08-2010, 02:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillylad View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome Doodles.
I'm 49 and the boss is 33. Yes, I expect a lot of hard work to get one at that price up to standard. It will mean a tight belt and doing it over time. Fortunately my uncle is a seasoned sailor down in St Augustine, so I'll be grilling him at every opportunity. The shower will probably be a stirrup pump on a garden hose. I pamper that women too much sometimes.
As far as living the minimalist goes, it doesn't get more minimalist than these mountains. I would be closer to a store bang in the middle of the Caribbean than we are now.
Those mountains are beautiful though. I have in-laws in Fellowsville, near Grafton. Where are you?
Old 19-08-2010, 02:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Those mountains are beautiful though. I have in-laws in Fellowsville, near Grafton. Where are you?
Were in the southernmost part in McDowell county. Much as I love the mountains and the isolation, it has been destroyed by the mining and timber companies. When you see the mess they make strip mining a mountain top you'll know what I mean. One of the reasons I want out. The mountain we live on, which we own and will be compulsory purchased by the mining group, is full of ginseng. That stuff sells for around $300 a pound. Coal sells for $100 a ton. Makes total sense to blow it up right? LOL
Old 19-08-2010, 03:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillylad View Post
Were in the southernmost part in McDowell county. Much as I love the mountains and the isolation, it has been destroyed by the mining and timber companies. When you see the mess they make strip mining a mountain top you'll know what I mean. One of the reasons I want out. The mountain we live on, which we own and will be compulsory purchased by the mining group, is full of ginseng. That stuff sells for around $300 a pound. Coal sells for $100 a ton. Makes total sense to blow it up right? LOL
All part of our addiction to fossil fuels. Very sad.

Same thing is happening right next to our house here in Thailand. There are beautiful limestone karsts (mountain size outcroppings) that are being blown up and hauled away for the limestone and other minerals used mostly to make concrete. The building and progress must go on you know.
Old 28-08-2010, 12:33   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Its good to have you here and I know you'll find the right boat. It is a buyer's market.
kind regards,
Old 28-08-2010, 12:45   #8

Thanks for the welcome John.
Still hunting at the moment but have found a Tartan 30 in Florida I'm seriously thinking about. Seems to cover all my needs apart from having an Atomic engine. Beggars can't be choosers I guess and still a decent enough engine to get me afloat.