Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 00:13   #1

Greetings from the PNW

Hey all.

I've been lurking for a few days and it seems a great forum. I live in Vancouver BC. They say I learned to sail before I could walk.... but that was a long time ago. My dad is a boat nut though he doesn't actually like sailing duty. So, I got plenty of experience when I was young. I sailed through college. Paid part of college working at a sailing school... so many years ago. Eventually, I traded the seas for the mountains. Spent a decade and half climbing and guiding 'till the diapers came.

Now, I'm ready to head back to the sea. My little one is getting into ski racing and we'll need to move to Whistler in the next couple of years. My partner is stuck living in the city. The idea is to pick up a Catalina 27 in the next year to get my sea legs back, reacquaint myself with boat maintenance, and introduce my family to sailing. When my little one is old enough for K1 racing the plan is to get a place in Whistler and a live-aboard for the city. I look forward to getting to know the forum members, pick your collective minds on the challenges a head, and eventually meet some NW sailors to cruise with.
Cascadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 00:31   #2

Boat: looking
Re: Greetings from the PNW

Welcome to CF, Cascadian!
As you know, C27s are a dime a dozen in our neck of the woods, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one & it's an iron-clad guarantee that you'll "get to" reacquaint yourself with boat maintenance!
I'd suggest checking out the moorage situation first, though. Long wait for the civics. If you're moving up to Whistler, boats at Sewell's - Horseshoe Bay, as you'd know - only really take a beating in November. Squamish is no place to keep a boat in the winter though, imho. Don't know how long you've been boatless, but Popeye's is a mere shadow of it's former self & the Steveston Mariner's Exchange closed down earlier this year. In other words, you might want to make sure the fittings & equipment on your future cruiser are up to date & in good shape. Unless, of course, you're going for a new one...
Best of luck and, again, welcome!
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 00:41   #3

Thanks for the welcome bangkaboat. It's been 15 or so years since I've been in the boat game and then it was Seattle and SoCal.

I'm starting to research the moorage problem but haven't gotten very far. Eventually the moorage needs to be downtown for the live-aboard. I expect this to be the hardest part of the plan. I need to get down to Stamps landing and get on the waiting list for the civic and co-op marinas.

The dime a dozen aspects of the Cat27 is what makes it so perfect. I can mess up all I want before the big boat comes.
Old 01-09-2011, 00:51   #4

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
The dime a dozen aspects of the Cat27 is what makes it so perfect. I can mess up all I want before the big boat comes.
LOL That's what I figured. You know, there's a guy next to me at a marina in L.A. who is selling a Sun 27 for $5,500 that he bought for $1,000. When I bought my Cal 2-30 in Newport Beach, I looked at having it brought up to Vancouver by truck & the quotes were between $5k & $6k(US) to south of the border. You could probably get a lot more boat for your money in SoCal, even with the shipping & tax, & bring it the rest of the way yourself. Just a thought.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 00:57   #5

There's a couple of 27s in the Seattle area from 3 to 5 grand. Hard to justify shipping at that price. I'm looking at the Stevens 47 for the live-aboard. I'm sure I'll be travelling for that one. My dad is in Huntington Beach and loves boat shopping more than sailing. There's a good chance the live-aboard will come out of SoCal.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:52   #6

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum Cascadian
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:46   #7

Thanks Unicorn Dreams. Nice boat. I quite like ccs. How has yours been? How long have you had her?
Old 23-09-2011, 14:43   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. Catalina 27s are a great way to get reintroduced to sailing. I've got friends who have a 40+ something powerboat in Anacortes which would be a great liveaboard. Do you want me to get some specifics because I think its for sale?
kind regards,