Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2014, 02:15   #1

Greetings From The Deep

Hi all, so im new here and very new to sailing. So new in fact that I don't know anything about sailing only that I really want to do it. I am 29yrs old and originally from South Africa. At the moment im nt sure where i live, basically wherever I set my suitcase down. I am a Saturation diver (deep sea construction, not looking at fishies) in the oil and gas industry. Working mainly in Asia and around India.

I work about 6 months of the year and the rest im on holiday, usually 2months work, 2 months holiday. I haven't bought a house yet since i have noooooo clue where i want to live, and since i love the water, love the Mediterranean i would by myself a nice yacht to live on and cruise round on my off time. Im looking at a motor yacht flybridge between 43 and 48ft, nice and spacious, i need my space. Everyone has been telling me to forget it and motor yachts are expensive to maintain, yes i get it, but im doing my homework and think its still the better option for me. I am alone and just think it will be safer taking it out on my own rather than a sailing yacht of that size.

Sooo, just want to say hi and ill snoop around the forums and do more homework and might drop a question here and there for some advice from the old seadogs.

Regards
Liquidencased
liquidencased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 02:42   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Greetings From The Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidencased View Post
Hi all, so im new here and very new to sailing. So new in fact that I don't know anything about sailing only that I really want to do it. I am 29yrs old and originally from South Africa. At the moment im nt sure where i live, basically wherever I set my suitcase down. I am a Saturation diver (deep sea construction, not looking at fishies) in the oil and gas industry. Working mainly in Asia and around India.

I work about 6 months of the year and the rest im on holiday, usually 2months work, 2 months holiday. I haven't bought a house yet since i have noooooo clue where i want to live, and since i love the water, love the Mediterranean i would by myself a nice yacht to live on and cruise round on my off time. Im looking at a motor yacht flybridge between 43 and 48ft, nice and spacious, i need my space. Everyone has been telling me to forget it and motor yachts are expensive to maintain, yes i get it, but im doing my homework and think its still the better option for me. I am alone and just think it will be safer taking it out on my own rather than a sailing yacht of that size.

Sooo, just want to say hi and ill snoop around the forums and do more homework and might drop a question here and there for some advice from the old seadogs.

Regards
Liquidencased
Welcome aboard.

Motoryachts may or may not be more expensive to maintain, but the cost of running one certianly is. Take a quick look at the fuel burn rate on those big boats, then think about how far you want to be able to sail (I'm assuming you do not have an unlimited budget).

Friend of mine (who owns a 45 foot sailboat) got a chance to borrow at 45 foot motoryacht in Italy last summer. They ended up not sailing very far simply due to the cost of filling the tanks.

Space is nice, but if you plan on being alone or only two most of the time, you'll probably find that you don't use that much of it. If you're in warmer climates, you'll spend most of you time in the cockpit or on deck.

we're two in a 40 sailboat - we have yet to feel cramped.

The wind is free, albeit slower than a big motoryacht.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 02:51   #3

Yeah i get what ur saying and i have had a look at the feul rate. Im nt planning on going at cruising speed all the time, once u bring it down to about 9kts it becomes almost reasonable. I dont have an unlimited budget unfortunately but indo well enough that feul wont bother me too much as long as i dont go full taps from the get go. The fact that i like about the flybridge is the openness of the living area out onto the deck. Like i said im still new and taking all concidirations still. Im at work at the moment living 80m under the sea so as soon as i get out i can go do a bit of dock walking and speaking to people and get a feel between a sailing and motor. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-11-2014, 03:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, liquidencased.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 05:42   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

You could take a look at a sailing catamaran around 30+ ft instead, that will give you the "openness of the living area out onto the deck", the ability to motor, motor/sail or sail as you wish. If I was 29 and single again, I'd be looking at something like a Seawind 1000.

And if you're working in Asia/India, you could look at basing the boat in SE Asia (Thailand/Malaysia).
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 06:06   #6

Boat: Pearson 365

We have a 43' Hatteras Motor Yacht with fly bridge. The room is impressive. You could have three separate parties on board. One in the salon, one on the fly bridge and another on the aft sundeck. Why does everybody automatically ask "How much fuel does it hold"? How much to fill it up? The fuel is the cheapest thing about cruising. If you want to pull into a nice town and get off the boat and tour the town, your going to pay through the nose for transient dockage fees. Slip fees, insurance, property taxes, general upkeep are all part of boating no matter what kinda boat you have. If you have a 43' sail boat you will pay the same as a MY. People who own sailboats think they are saving lots of money but they really arent. I always heard that the fuel is the cheapest thing you will pay for. How could that possibly be? Now I know. If space is what you need, get a MY. However, if you want to be safe on the ocean, get a sail boat. There's nothing more stable than a sail boat under sail. Our MY has a keel and really heavy hull. It doesnt matter. MY's roll in a beam sea. A following sea will ruin your day if your trying to dodge lobster traps you will not enjoy it what so ever. It really depends how you plan on using you new boat.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 06:20   #7

Thank you StuM and Magnawake. If i go for a sailing yacht it will definately be a cat, but then the problem is paying double for mooring, so that cancels the feul problem my main concern with sailing is i will be alone and im thinking worst case scinario i dnt know how im going ro manage alone in really rough seas and heavy winds. Working offshore for quite a few years i have seen what mother nature can bring when she is not happy. Magnawake you are one of the first that encourages me for one, thanks. Will probably be living moored in marinas and take her out on calm good weather days. Will spend about 2months at a place at a time so the long distance cruising will be minimal. I have thought of SE asia and have spent some time there but i really prefer the med, even if it is more expensive. The work flies me from where i am to where i need to be so my location doesnt matter. Im prepared to spend between $250k and $300k for a boat. Probably aroun yr 2000 to 2005 if im lucky. Magnawake i might press on ur button at a later stshe for more info on maintenance etc. Planning to buy the boat for my 30th bday so i still got time till Sept to do my homework. Thanks a mil!
Old 15-11-2014, 06:34   #8

Boat: Pearson 365

Not a problem. Ask all you want. I have lived on board for the most part of the last 4 yrs and have traveled up and down the East coast from NC to Key West. There are some draw backs on each path you choose. It sounds like to me giving your plan, a motor yacht will be fine. However, another person to help you navigate and help get the anchor in/out is a real help. I cant imagine me doing it without my wife. We have a routine and she knows what to expect. I also go down to my engine room every couple hours while we are running to look around and check Temps with a laser thermometer also Fuel DP gages. My wife takes control of the helm and at least gives me a head break. My wife also brings food and drinks to the bridge. Running a boat of any kind by yourself wouldnt be a good idea in my opinion.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 20:23   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Old 21-12-2014, 11:30   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard!

You have already gotten some good advice above. So I will just say that I think you have a great idea and sounds like a challenging and exciting job.

Have fun with whatever boat and harbor you pick!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote