Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2010, 17:43   #1

Greetings from SW Florida

Hello all,
I'm really looking forward to digging around this forum searching for how to get started in sailing and ask for some advice
My wife and I are from PA but moved down here to sunny SW Florida 10 years ago and I'm really looking forward to finally getting into sailing.
Take care
cmcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 18:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Welcome from NE Florida

Hello cmcowboy,

Go get you a small sailboat and start sailing around SW Florida. In that area the water is often very shallow so small will be easier to learn on and you can go more places before you run aground (and you will).

Oh, and ask questions on the forum. Plenty of advise available free, and worth every penny.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 03:28   #3

Thank you Skip,

I'm going to start going out to a few Marinas right here and start to chat with a fee people as well. And see if anyone would be interested in giving me some good starter lessons Are you up near Jax?
Old 27-04-2010, 05:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Hello,

Living in Gainesville. Boat was in Green Cove Springs on the St John's River until last month when I had it trucked to Gainesville. Now parked in the woods just outside of town where it's 15 mins drive from home. Plan to spend the next year doing a bottom job, new rigging, new plumbing and a few other items and then take off. Otherwise I would invite you up for a sail. For now the best I could offer would be to sit in the cockpit and look at trees.

Walking the docks is a good idea. Visiting boatyards also. These days you sometimes find some serious deals on boats abandoned at the yard for non-payment. Maybe a way to find a starter/learner boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 06:36   #5

Skip,
Thanks but I think I will pass on sitting in the cockpit and looking at the trees
I'm up in Gainesville or going through once in a while, I transport horses up that way to Ocala, and also to the Equine university for emergency's in Gainesville, and up the east coast as well.

I'm trying right now to contact anyone here in Sarasota/Bradenton area that may offer to take me out for some lesson's, but not having much luck the past week or so, but I'm going to keep on trying.
Have a great Day everyone
Old 27-04-2010, 16:21   #6

Boat: Beneteau 423
Hi, we're in South Florida but took our lessons in Fort Meyers, may be too far for you. Check some of the ASA schools in your area. I found mine on the internet and made sure they were certified (as long as you want to start that way). We felt more confidants by learning the ropes with an instructor and then you have got to get yourself a boat to practice on. I've heard it's a good idea to check with the local sailing club. Sailors are very nice people always willing to help out ! Good luck.
LunaSeaFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 18:16   #7

Luna,
Thank you for the info, I have been checking on ASA schools from here down to Fort Myers. Seems to be a big difference in prices, so now I have to look into what they include and number of hours being schooled. I would really like to go to the USVI for certification, cost of the courses down there is comparable, but not with plane flight added in.
Thanks again
Old 29-04-2010, 14:15   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I recommend just a basic course and find the cheapest you can. You'll know right away if sailing is your cup of tea. You'll get experience on a small boat and then you can go pick up a used Sunfish or Laser for less than $1000 and cartop or small trailer it wherever you'd like and have a great time learning. Once you're ready to move up you can keep the Sunfish or sell if for the same price you bought it and find something larger.
kind regards,

Tags
florida