Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2011, 21:12   #1

Location: Northern Oklahoma - No sailable water for 1000 miles
Boat: Don't currently have one :-(
Send a message via Yahoo to set_sail Send a message via Skype™ to set_sail
Greetings from Oklahoma!

I know, a let down. Oklahoma sure is. Anyways, hello! I'm glad to have found this forum and I'm sure everyone will be of great help! My name is Victor (can we give our names?), I'm 22 years old, and live smack dab in the middle of not-sailing-anywhere-ville. I'm making plans to move closer to the coast (3 hours away instead of 10), and once settled in there, making some money, etc, I'm going to buy a boat, and start sailing. My dad was in the navy, so sailing is probably in my blood. And when I was 18, I went down to Port Aransas, Texas, where we chartered a sunset cruise, and The Captain let me play Captain! My profile picture is from that day, and I'm the kid behind the wheel! Ever since then I have been hooked, and I've known what I wanted to do for a long time. I don't know that I can make a career out of anything, but psht, who needs a career when you have a boat? I'm a college kid, and a free-spirit. Oh, I'm going back to Texas. I don't know that it's prime sailing like other places, but when I lived in Corpus Christi (another story for another time), sailing Corpus Christi Bay was a huge thing for alot of the presumably wealthy Corpus Christians(lol). That's probably where my sailboat will go. Well either Corpus Christi or Port Aransas. I dunno. Anyway, enough about me!
set_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 03:02   #2

You are always welcome. Enjoy the best party in town
Old 17-01-2011, 06:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Victor.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 06:39   #4

Boat: PSC 37 Crealock #149 (RIP)
I began sailing on Grand Lake in a J24 in 1980. Google the yacht clubs there and see if you can't volunteer to crew in their regattas. Quick way to get your sailing fix. Lake sailing can be difficult because the wind shifts so dramatically. You'll learn a lot quickly racing.
JDGreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 06:55   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Welcome..... the post above makes good sense...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 07:15   #6

Thanks everyone! I'm glad I make sense, sometimes I wonder about myself
Old 17-01-2011, 07:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGreenlee View Post
I began sailing on Grand Lake in a J24 in 1980. Google the yacht clubs there and see if you can't volunteer to crew in their regattas. Quick way to get your sailing fix. Lake sailing can be difficult because the wind shifts so dramatically. You'll learn a lot quickly racing.
A fellow Texan/Okie? Woohoo! I'll certainly give it a look, but I'm awfully far from the beauty of Northeastern Oklahoma right now...
Old 17-01-2011, 07:17   #8

Boat: 1967 Falmouth Gypsy 24'
Ahoy Victor, Welcome to C.F. As a NSU Tahlequah alumni it's nice to see an Okie on the board. What's Oklahoma beer and sex in a boat got in common? You're F**kin close to water.

You're not as far from sailing as you think, someone already mentioned Grand Lake, there is a sailing school there that a friend of mine attended, it's not cheap, ($800 for a weekend I think) but you'll learn fancy knots. If you want to drive to Arkansas a friend of mine is always looking for someone to sail with on one of his little boats, either Beaver Lake or Grand Lake

You also have the Arkansas River - McClelland Kerr navigation system, "Gateway to the World", it can get you from Tulsa to New Orleans in about 21 days (people have done it in canoes) and there are 15 lakes of different sizes along the way.

get a boat, get wet, get a career later.
Hillbillyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 07:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillyfunk View Post
Ahoy Victor, Welcome to C.F. As a NSU Tahlequah alumni it's nice to see an Okie on the board. What's Oklahoma beer and sex in a boat got in common? You're F**kin close to water.

You're not as far from sailing as you think, someone already mentioned Grand Lake, there is a sailing school there that a friend of mine attended, it's not cheap, ($800 for a weekend I think) but you'll learn fancy knots. If you want to drive to Arkansas a friend of mine is always looking for someone to sail with on one of his little boats, either Beaver Lake or Grand Lake

You also have the Arkansas River - McClelland Kerr navigation system, "Gateway to the World", it can get you from Tulsa to New Orleans in about 21 days (people have done it in canoes) and there are 15 lakes of different sizes along the way.

get a boat, get wet, get a career later.

I couldn't agree more. Ain't nothin in the world as terrible as Oklahoma beer. I had honestly never thought of river sailing before. If I get stuck here too much longer I may have to give it a try. The plan is to get to Texas by January 2012 - although that still won't put me ON the coast for reasons totally unimportant right now, I'll be 3 hours or so away! Which I find perfectly okay. I was delighted to see a "Making money while cruising" topic,because i had long wondered about that. As a friend who is joining the Air Force told me "I like this direction of yours, it's all about freedom". Which is exactly correct, a career never suited me, I've been too much of a free spirit throughout my life.
Old 17-01-2011, 07:49   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by set_sail View Post
Thanks everyone! I'm glad I make sense, sometimes I wonder about myself
What makes you think I was talking about you....LOL

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 07:55   #11

LOL - guess my suspicions were correct, I spent 3/4 of the time babbling like an incoherent moron I see now what you were talking about, had I not be on ME mode! Working to break that habit, given that I'll be in a small boat someday with other people hopefully.
Old 17-01-2011, 08:19   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 44cc
Hey, we do LOTS of sailing on Lake Eufaula. In fact there's a really fun regatta the "Lake Eufaula Sailboat Bucket Run" every year the weekend before Memorial Day. Several dozen boats around are fairly regularly on the water.
but yeah.... NE is the pits for sailing Lol........ and the whole Oklahoma Beer Conspiracy is just nasty. Good luck on the plan for a boat!
NCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 20:21   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and hope you can find a career sailing. I got to see a lot of the world thanks to Uncle Sam's Navy. I did sailboat sailing as recreation and a place to live while I wasn't at the job site.
kind regards,