Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2016, 21:34   #1

Boat: Outremer 55L
Greetings from New Zealand - we've taken the first step to getting offshore

Hi all,

After several years of wondering and hoping and planning, our 50th birthdays were (still are) looming, so my partner and I got serious with our search and finally found the yacht we really wanted in the configuration we preferred. We have just bought a 2003 Outremer 55 Light catamaran with the owner's version layout and will take delivery next March 2017!! Can't hardly wait, but the long closing is because we have to wait to realise the equity we need to complete the purchase. 20% deposit paid and now the long wait, sigh.

We'll be heading offshore in about 4 years time, once our kids have graduated high school and no longer need their parents (and their bedrooms) to be local. We've absolutely loved cruising and visiting French Polynesia in the past, so we're thinking of starting with a westerlies run east from Auckland as far as Easter Island, then back into the trade wind belt to the Marquesas, then spending the rest of our lives heading west.

As we've never owned a cruising multihull before (though we have decades of monohull racing and cruising and Hobie 16 sailing, as well as a couple of years in Australia racing a Crowther 40 catamaran) we're going to use the next few years once we have our yacht to learn about larger multihulls generally and our catamaran in particular. We want to learn how to sail her in most conditions, figure out the modifications and enhancements while we still have decent incomes to pay for them, and use shorter return passages to New Caledonia and Fiji to confirm that we've made the right choice of yacht before we totally cut our ties to land.

It's so exciting and a bit scarey too, thinking about quitting our jobs and land lives to go cruising full time, especially now that we've taken the first step (or is it half-step, as we don't yet have our yacht?). We really enjoy this forum and are looking forward to continued learning and hopefully making contributions of our own. And to meet others who are on this journey as well - please reach out to us, especially if you're in this area!

Cheers, Tom and Deb
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 00:49   #2

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Greetings from New Zealand - we've taken the first step to getting offshore

Well done

And welcome to CF
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 01:06   #3

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Hi all,

After several years of wondering and hoping and planning, our 50th birthdays were (still are) looming, so my partner and I got serious with our search and finally found the yacht we really wanted in the configuration we preferred. We have just bought a 2003 Outremer 55 Light catamaran with the owner's version layout and will take delivery next March 2017!! Can't hardly wait, but the long closing is because we have to wait to realise the equity we need to complete the purchase. 20% deposit paid and now the long wait, sigh.

We'll be heading offshore in about 4 years time, once our kids have graduated high school and no longer need their parents (and their bedrooms) to be local. We've absolutely loved cruising and visiting French Polynesia in the past, so we're thinking of starting with a westerlies run east from Auckland as far as Easter Island, then back into the trade wind belt to the Marquesas, then spending the rest of our lives heading west.

As we've never owned a cruising multihull before (though we have decades of monohull racing and cruising and Hobie 16 sailing, as well as a couple of years in Australia racing a Crowther 40 catamaran) we're going to use the next few years once we have our yacht to learn about larger multihulls generally and our catamaran in particular. We want to learn how to sail her in most conditions, figure out the modifications and enhancements while we still have decent incomes to pay for them, and use shorter return passages to New Caledonia and Fiji to confirm that we've made the right choice of yacht before we totally cut our ties to land.

It's so exciting and a bit scarey too, thinking about quitting our jobs and land lives to go cruising full time, especially now that we've taken the first step (or is it half-step, as we don't yet have our yacht?). We really enjoy this forum and are looking forward to continued learning and hopefully making contributions of our own. And to meet others who are on this journey as well - please reach out to us, especially if you're in this area!

Cheers, Tom and Deb

Try www.crew.org.nz if you want to talk with Kiwi Sailors and cruisers. This site is mostly USA based. Some of us are on both...

Cheers, Matt (Island Time on crew.org.nz)

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-06-2016, 07:32   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

It is a great boat and you will love it up in the islands and also doing the coastal thing in NZ and or AUS.

Where do you pick her up btw?

Be extra careful on the stretch from NZ to the islands and back. It can be very very rough there at times. Plan well and deliver with grace!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 19:05   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard, guys.

I hope it all goes smoothly, and you can get out on the water after you close.

Fair winds,

Ann
Old 27-06-2016, 02:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Well done

And welcome to CF
Hi there I'm a kiwi as well, done a bit off offshore stuff in my Cav 45 which I sold a year ago. Now gone to the dark side & bought a trawler style launch! Suggest you join up with ICA they are excellent, all the best Jeff
Jaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 00:20   #7

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaba View Post
Hi there I'm a kiwi as well, done a bit off offshore stuff in my Cav 45 which I sold a year ago. Now gone to the dark side & bought a trawler style launch! Suggest you join up with ICA they are excellent, all the best Jeff
Hey Jeff, enjoy the Mainship. Yup, joined ICA and can't wait to hoist the burgee on our boat and join in their local cruises. We'll take a look at their seminars.
Cheers,
Tom and Deb
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
New Zealand, offshore