Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2005, 15:34   #1

Greetings from new member

Hello everybody!
I’m new in this forum (I used to participate in Sailnet’s message board discussions when the company was active), so let me introduce myself. I’m Greek, in my mid-fifties, and work as a translator in the European Union public service since 1985, based in Brussels. I started (learned) sailing when I was sixteen years old (on a wooden teak Fireball, if you can imagine!). I own –and sail- a Laser 16 open dinghy in Greece for more than 15 years now, but due to weather conditions in the Greek seas my sailing opportunities with her in Greece are rather reduced. That’s why a couple of years ago I thought better to move to cruising in sailing yachts. I first made the tour of the Grenadines, down from Martinique through Saint Lucia (two weeks – Dufour 49), then Gran Canaria to Tenerife in the Canary islands (one week training course with SUNSAIL – SO 45.2), last year a two week cruise in the Ionian (SO 32.1) and this year another two week cruise of the Dodecanese (Bavaria 41). On the last two occasions I acted as the skipper. I plan further sailing cruises in the Northern Sporades in Greece (maybe next year), the southern coast of Turkey, the Dalmatian coast in Croatia, the Leewards from Guadeloupe north to Antigua and St. Martin, the BVI’s, the Saronic and Argolis bays in Greece and the Cyclades in the Aegean. My ideal daily program is about 5-6 hours sailing and then sightseeing and relax for the rest of the day. I think that the optimum duration is two weeks, an itinerary of no more than 300 miles and a total of around ten places to visit. If anybody (or any group) thinks he can enjoy sailing about the same way and is interested to join in the future so that we can split the tasks and burden, pls. contact me and we can even arrange two sailing parties (two boats). I’m also ready to provide a very detailed information for those seeking such about the Greek islands, most of which I have visited and for which I have gathered valuable data over many years. I should make it clear that I have no financial interest or connection with the tourist and charter industry and I sail just for pure fun.
I wish fair winds to everybody and look forward to exchanging ideas and plans
chrondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 18:02   #2

Welcome to this board. I'm on the other side of the globe so your offer to sail in the Greek Islands although sounds fantastic does not at this time help me out. I hope you enjoy this site, there are many good people here.
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 22:19   #3

Boat: currently "on the beach"
welcome. so which boat did you like the best for cruising - Dufour 49, SO or Bavaria ? capt. lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 15:31   #4

Well, which of these boats was really the best?
The Dufour 49 had excellent sailing performance but although it was big, we felt somehow crowded for a party of eight.
I particularly appreciated the Bavaria's Volvo Penta motor (silent) and complete equipment, but when at anchor offshore she swung too much to my liking.
The Jeanneau SO 45 was a perfect compromise for a party of six people. A third head would be much appreciated though!
Next time I will try a Beneteau around 40 ft. LOA, since I think she is more spacious.
chrondi is offline   Reply With Quote