Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2009, 03:15   #1

Greetings from Nashville...GA not TN!

Having grown up near the water (my Dad was a USCG bosun's mate) I have always had a love for the sea. I am fortunate to have found a mate who shares that love and we have decided to dust off a dream we've had for nearly 20 years and pursue it. That dream, of course, is to live on a boat and (re)visit some of the places that we've been to or have wanted to go.
We don't have a boat yet, probably won't for a couple of years while we make the necessary arrangements to slip from our landlocked life. We plan to spend the next couple of years taking some courses, getting some practical experience and making sure this is how we want to live before taking the big step of buying our next home.
As such, I won't have much to contribute, but will tapping everyone here for all the information they wish to provide to help us pursue this dream. I look forward to "meeting" everyone in the next few years!

Bill & Kat
katnfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 03:56   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Bill and Kat,
G'day. Lots here would not even know where GA and TN are - but hope it does not stop you getting a warm welcome. No question is too silly to ask. Good luck in filling the dream and keep us all posted.
JOHN
Old 16-12-2009, 05:17   #3

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Hello Bill & Kat,

I know where Nashville Ga is .... I grew up in Blackshear (the town not the lake) Ga. I went to school at ABAC in Tifton many years ago where I had a roommate from Nashville Ga. That said, I know Nashville is not a hotbed of sailing activity.

I suggest you get yourself a small trailerable sailboat (lots of them around now at very reasonable prices - search web sites like eBay Store - Boat Angel: Boats, Cars, Sailboat) A sailboat large enough to spend a weekend or so on but small enough to trailer would allow you to spend some time sailing on the gulf or atlantic coast (as you know there are some great sailing destinations only a couple of hours away from Nashville). It would be fun and you would learn a lot.

At any rate, I'm sure you will be able to glean a lot of information from this site.

Good Luck with your dream,
Bill A. S/V Mobetah

www.mobetah.blogspot.com
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 05:26   #4

Boat: seawind II Patience
Welcome aboard.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 14:21   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard,
Good to have you here and posting. I'd recommend a couple books before you buy a boat. The prices of boats won't be shooting up too quickly anytime soon. If you want to sail, here's a good book, "Start Sailing Right!" If it is possible for your to take at least a basic sailing course then I'd recommend that too.
regards,
Old 31-12-2009, 14:04   #6

Thumbs up Thanks to All

Thanks to all who have responded with advice and well wishes. We are currently researching options for basic keelboating and follow-on courses that we want to take in April/May timeframe (probably in S. Fl). I have seen a few that offer 3 or more days of liveaboard cruising in conjunction with learning some basics of boat handling, navigation, etc. that I think would be a great "next step". Hadn't considered picking up a small trailerable boat, but seems like a good idea for honing skills before making the big leap.
Thanks again to everyone. Look forward to reading more on the forum.
katnfrog is offline   Reply With Quote