Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2011, 10:42   #16

Re: Greetings from Montana... brrr!

SkiprJohn-

Thanks for the response. I guess my thoughts were since I am already interested in the night sky these might go hand in hand. I bet hitting the on button is easier!! I have a profound appriciation for learning skills that can be rewarding. Sailing is one of them... flying is one id like to pick up in the future. This is something I feel that if you were able to get an adequate understanding and ability to calculate it would just be something to have under the belt, or a notch on the belt. I find learning how do use the physical world around me to my advantage is... well ... fulfilling!
Being prepared is a great thing to work for. (no i don't have food stored up or an arsenal of automatic weapons) But knowledge is power... or so I think.

I'll take a browse for that book and see if i can throw it on my e-reader. Thanks!
Daoism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 11:00   #17

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Welcome aboard. Were located in SE WA state on the Columbia river. If you want to learn boating skills start with learning about small disel motors, there in most all off shore sailboats and a job is not too hard to find if you have the training. I met a guy at Hood River on the Columbia river that has a 40 foot tri-maran and he sails all over the Pacific North west and I think he always does the round Vancouver Island race yearly.
Old 21-12-2011, 11:11   #18

Hi, fellow Montanan. We are currently on board our Gemini in New Bern N.C. My thoughts are- just do it. There are a lot of inexpensive 30ft or less boats that could be a good start. Head south to Florida and there are anchorages or cheaper monthly rates at marinas. If you have sales experience, a job at a nearby West Marine could provide not only income , but discounts on parts to upgrade your boat. Good Luck
toni goggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 10:46   #19

Toni Goggs-

Howdy! It has been refreshing this past week recieving encouragement from so many people not only here on CF but locally as well. "Just do it" seems to be many people's advice as they give it from hindsight. Other people's hindsight is my foresight the way i figure. And I was thinking of doing just what you are suggesting. There are a few other things I have looked into as well. There are some private companies that pay their deckhands and stewards quite well to be a crew member. A few months with one of these organizations and I could double my boatroll (as in bankroll). With very little overhead that would open more opportunities as well as give me something to do that I am also passionate about! Dive certifications are also within reach to give another avenue for not only adventure but something else to do.
I guess my bottom line is finding some new adventures in my life.

Cheers!
Daoism is offline   Reply With Quote