Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 06:20   #1

pirate Greetings from Milwaukee!

I'm a 28 year old Software Architect from Milwaukee. I'm not a sailboat owner, but I'm planning on taking the plunge in about 3 years after I wrap up a few projects around the house I just took ownership of.

I spent some time sailing when I was younger, but mostly on a Laser on smaller lakes. My buddies and I had a lot of fun turtling the boat and screwing around in the water.

In the next few years I will be looking to gain some more serious experience on a cruiser. I'm a pretty analytical guy, so I'll be taking my time with my research. I'm looking for a boat that can handle Lake Michigan. I don't need it to handle much more than a weekend trip, but with it just being the wife and I we'll need a boat that we can sail solo most of the time but will require two of us when things get hairy. I've been initially looking at a Catalina 30, but I'm definitely reserving judgement until the two of us have spent some time on a number of boats on day-trips on the Great Lakes.

My good friend's dad is a Commodore at a yacht club on the lake and an avid sailor. He and his son race their boat all season long, and I'm in contact with them to get some real hands-on experience over the next few years. Luckily they're always looking for crew members for their weekly races, and I'm willing to learn.

Anyway, I'll be lurking on these forums because it will take a while before I have anything of substance to add!

Cheers
skatastrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 15:44   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Skat,
Welcome aboard! Catalina 30 is a good choice and looking around at others too is a great idea. Lurk away.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 05:53   #3

Hey Skat,
I'm also from Milwaukee, and work as a software engineer. I've met a lot of I/T folks that sail in Milwaukee. Must be something about our nature that draws us to it. I've been sailing out of the sailing center in Milwaukee for a few years now and have also had the chance to participate in a couple distance races on a Hunter 27 and Merit 25. Great experiences. I was out one night so far on a Catalina 30, and it's a great boat. Spacious cockpit and it's a real beamy boat so everything looks and feels more spacious below decks as well.

I'm going out tonight with a couple guys from - Milwaukee Sailing Forum on a hunter 34. It will be the biggest boat I've been out on. Drop in there and say hello if you like. It is a good way to meet locals.
mkeChris is offline   Reply With Quote