Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-12-2009, 20:01   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
You park on the T-heads. We are on "D" pier - in front of Joe's. Just call: 210.663.8079 when you are in the neighborhood. When you see the boat, you'll see why there is no need to BYOB. We have an electric bar...

Not sure what time I'm leaving here - hopefully by mid afternoon. Much will depend upon the snow we are expecting!

Old 04-12-2009, 02:10   #32

Boat: 1977 Marine Trader 40' Trawler
Send a message via Yahoo to Pappy Chris
It doesn't snow here in TX... right? It's the reason why we are moving here. We were told yesterday that there's been now snow hee since 2004 and then it ws only a dusting.
Will call you when we get over that way this evening. Wife has 2 job interviews today and we have more houses to look at. Tired of being shown houses we don't like..... it was a long day (for me). Men always have the last word..........."yes dear".
Chris

Old 04-12-2009, 06:59   #33

Which T head is it on?. I think I saw the club was on the middle one.
Should we bring our ice skates this evening? We sold our in a garage sale
a couple of weeks ago. LoL :-)
Old 04-12-2009, 20:27   #34

Boat: 45 Hunter Passage - On-On
We had planned on heading to Corpus this afternoon but with the weather it seemed smart to stay close to home. Cant wait to get there tomorrow, find the heater and watch our neighbors hang lights. :-) fun, fun, fun!!!

Jen
mholubec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:31   #35

Bill, I don't know if you got my text message yesterday but Jan and I would like to thank you and everyone else at the yacht club for their hospitality and friendship that was extended to us. We look forward to future times with the group. We met a lot of great people there (it will take me while to remember names).
We found a couple of houses in south side Corpus and one on Padre that are high up on the list but selling our house here is first priority. We came home to cold and snow with more forecast tomorrow and hi temps on Wed & Thur only in the teens. Long way from what's forecast there this week.
Next visit I'll bring some Mt Gay for the bar. ;-)
Your boat looked great. They all looked great. Jan says we will have one there next year... she has spoken. Of course men always have the last word.... "yes dear". Whole Heartedly on that one!.
Cheers-- Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
You park on the T-heads. We are on "D" pier - in front of Joe's. Just call: 210.663.8079 when you are in the neighborhood. When you see the boat, you'll see why there is no need to BYOB. We have an electric bar...

Not sure what time I'm leaving here - hopefully by mid afternoon. Much will depend upon the snow we are expecting!
Old 07-12-2009, 07:55   #36

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Pappy look in the Delmar area between Spohn hospital and Louisiana Ave if your going to put your boat in the marina. Short distance and a nice neighborhood. Be aware that TAXES here are very high, as is home insurance. Wind storm protection is of course a MUST have, and its hard to get without being in the state pool.
The south side of town is a mess IMO with all the building, but they didn't expand the roads much so traffic is a PITA. But Corpus is a good town, you will like it here.
I personally would not live out on the island, but some like it there. To me the place to live is near downtown, the marina, Ocean drive etc. Lots of homes for sale with good prices, but as I said, factor in the cost of home taxes and insurance. it will more than double your payment here over P&I.

The snow of course was a non event. But in 2004 was quite nice. Having grown up in Pennsylvania, the thought of snow is not welcome, but my kids were excited about it. Houston got 4 inches I heard...

Bob
Old 07-12-2009, 08:22   #37

Bob
It appears that my wife will be at CS south location. We've been thru most of the neighborhoods and settled on the area south of Staples and west of SPID. 2 houses we found there were well within budget and we really liked the neighborhoods. Our kids are all grown so schools aren't a consideration. The last house we looked at on the island was great but the other things you've cited may put it out of of sight ultimately. Its nice to dream though.
As far as traffic.... for what we are used to, its a non issue for us. When my wife finished with her interview on Friday at 5 we drove in "rush hour" traffic over to north shore where we were staying and well,,,,, hahaha there isn't one (as we know it). We also drove from Padre to north shore on Saturday afternoon and took only 30 minutes.

So where in PA are you from? I lived in NE PA for over 25 years (Reading Posttsville [ I was a coal cracker] Lebanon areas). Moved back to the midwest in 2001 with every intention to move to TX shortly after. Looking like 2010 will be it!

Freezing -Chris
Old 07-12-2009, 15:21   #38

Bob-- I forgot to mention that housing is 40% less in CC than comparable where we are. We pay personal property tax (on everything) plus real estate tax here also. Insurance is moderate but it is tornado alley here. The add on is flood insurance.
My wife got her job today and starts in January. PLUS relocation expense. One more huge step in the process!! *** Happy Chris
Old 07-12-2009, 16:00   #39

Hey Pappy, glad to hear your wife got her job. Job market here is not bad.
Yeah I understand what you mean about there not being a rush hour here. Having grown up in Philadelphia, lived on both coasts of Florida, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Seattle, and Houston, Corpus was a refreshing change. But after 8 years here, I am now spoiled.
Of course, if you move to Texas you have to get used to the idea of being a Texan. No where else that I have been is there such a stong feeling about being a Texan, both good and bad. State pride here is strong.
And yes, housing here is cheap compared to many places. Its just the tax and insurance that gets you. But with no state income tax they have to get you somehow.
Also a 8.25% sales tax, but then I buy most things on the 'net, where you don't get that.

Bob
Old 10-12-2009, 05:56   #40

Bob- Familiar with Texas pride. Always been sort of an intrigue with me. I have been to TX many times and have spent half my life wanting to move there. Now I'm excited that I finally get to live out a dream and get to sail too! Pinch me!
We've pencil whipt the economics of TX compared to where we are here in KS and it comes up all positives in almost every respect except out health insurance. But now I hear on CNN that I might get Medicare next year at 55 (for what that's worth) so Admiral says that will help bring that into line to. It's been incredible to us how everything has lined up for this move to happen. Jan is moving into an apartment there in 3 weeks and starts on Jan 4th. Somehow we got on a fast track to do this because we were looking more at springtime for it to happen.
We loved everything about Corpus. We've been living in rural areas most of our lives and its a city thats not to big and not to small and seems to suit our tastes. Now if we could get an IKEA closer than 4 hours drive. Wife loves IKEA. I love the Super H E Bs. I'll go anywhere but Walmart and it looks like the place to do it.
Anyhow, after adding up all the pluses and minuses we come out way ahead overall vs here in Kansas.
The only other big sticker is slip rents for our boat are more than double.
We might be spoiled though. I've not researched into this subject to much yet. While sailing and weather are the prime reasons for our move the slip rent is kind of peripheral in the overall for now. I'm just hoping I can get rid of 6 of my project sailboat fleet before I have to move them with me. We have 13 acres here. I don't think I will have that luxury there..... yet.
Cheers
Chris (low here this morning here is 5 degrees)

===
Old 10-12-2009, 08:51   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Slip rentals in CC are EXTREMELY reasonable. Especially for the 1st year, where if you pay for 8 months in advance, you get the whole year. $5.25 a foot is a pretty good rate.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:59   #42

We must have been the victim of misinformation. I was hearing $2400 a year based on 30' .
I like your number a whole lot better. We paid $1450 a year up here which included water, electric and dry storage during winter months Nov-Mar. No other amenities though.
Thx.!!

Old 10-12-2009, 19:42   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are some additional fees - like liveaboard and electricity.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:09   #44

Yeah, as bill said, slip rates here in Corpus are pretty resonable comparatively speaking.
I have a 50 ft slip with 50 amp power. I think I paid 3100 for the year, plus electric.
In Florida I would have paid 1000 or more per month. So I figure this is good. And its a nice marina, well protected, and of course the sailing here is very good. Average wind speeds over 10 knots. Often 1.5 to 2x that.

Bob
Old 11-12-2009, 08:06   #45

The boat I propose to float is a TMI 27 (unless my Luger 30 ketch doesn't sell before). The TMI is on a trailer but its a spade keel with 5' draft and a keel stepped mast so its not really a trailer sailer even though I can drag it anywhere. The other would be a Kenner Privateer 26 (LOD) but with its sprit its 32 LOA. Its a full keel with 4' draft. I suppose I could back it into a 30' slip. I assume they rent by slip length rather than the actual boat's LOA?? I watch the wind in Corpus everyday and I can't wait to sail there. Tired of lake sailing where a leisurely sail is constant work. No such thing as set it and sail it like bigger waters.

Chris

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: