Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2013, 18:47   #1

Greetings from Cajun Country!

Hey there! I finally broke down and made my own account so I wouldn't keep stealing hubby's phone to read the forums. Hubby is AirMedMech, and we picked up a Catalina 27 (1973) last October, about a week before Hurricane Isaac came to town. Now that it's starting to warm up again, we're looking forward to getting her down to the lake and seeing what this sailing thing is all about! While we're doing that, we're making long-term plans to relocate to St. Croix for our "retirement plan." :-D "We're gonna need a bigger boat."
It's pretty well come down to Mech as Captain and mechanic, with me as first mate and electrician. :-) Since he's the helicopter mechanic and I'm the avionics technician, it works out well that way!
So I thought I'd drop in here and say hi! We're looking forward to a weekend on the water come Friday, so if you don't hear from us next week, either send the coasties to Lake Maurepas, or look for us headed South!
Ldylightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 04:39   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Greetings from Cajun Country!

Welcome aboard! Enjoy the weekend, and don't get lost in the lake (or the big lake...or the really big lake). Happy cruising!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 08:42   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome to the forum...fair winds
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 08:55   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Welcome! Sounds like you both are a well qualified team for taking on the lifestyle!
Shouted from N. MS....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:23   #5

We're digging it so far! Get hooked a little deeper every time we get out there messing with the boat...LOL
We're both tinkerers...can't help it...
AirMedMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:21   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. If either of your jobs have anything to do with the military then thanks for your service.
kind regards,
Old 06-05-2013, 04:19   #7

We are both prior USAF. Thats how we met, actually. We were both assigned to Dover AFB, working the C-5 Galaxy.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:46   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Greetings from Cajun Country!

Hey... Welcome to CF..
There's nothing quite like it...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 18:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hey... Welcome to CF..
There's nothing quite like it...
Thanks, Boatman! Lots of friendly folk around here!
Old 06-05-2013, 18:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. If either of your jobs have anything to do with the military then thanks for your service.
kind regards,
Thank you, Skipper. We are both veterans, though no longer serving. Hubby works on medevac helicopters, and I'm in a private maintenance shop now. We both love turning a wrench for a living, and now for a hobby, too!
Old 06-05-2013, 18:40   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 37 - Perseverence

Where do you folks dock your boat? I have had a sailboat for many years in the New Orleans area - but sailing in Lake Maurepas? Lots of stumps out there in that shallow lake..

Good luck going forward, the thing you probably already figured out is that sailing and boats in general are addictive...in a good way.
jlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 18:50   #12

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Welcome yall !! From down the Bayou ! Sounds like ya got the work split up pretty well LOL. We split em a little different, chores that is. We both navigate, we both cook, I sling the wrenchs and do the Electrics and the electronics, she bakes and we both do maintaince, ya know cleaning, painting, ect. It won't be long and yall will be looking for a little bigger boat !! Have fun ! We still are, nothing like sailing, either day sailing, or cruiseing!
Old 06-05-2013, 20:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlogan View Post
Where do you folks dock your boat? I have had a sailboat for many years in the New Orleans area - but sailing in Lake Maurepas? Lots of stumps out there in that shallow lake..

Good luck going forward, the thing you probably already figured out is that sailing and boats in general are addictive...in a good way.
We're up the Tickfaw a little ways. The goal is to use Maurepas to access Ponchartrain, but we haven't had time yet for heading that way. This past weekend there were WAAY too many speedboats out zipping through Manchac for us to bother with it (Tickfaw 200 poker run last weekend), and very little (and contrary) wind, so we motored about a lot. So we kept an eye on our charts and tried to stay to the deeper parts if Maurepas and out of the little zippers' way. If you're still in N. O., maybe we can meet up some time on the water!!
Old 06-05-2013, 20:38   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlogan View Post

Our little Catalina 27 only has a four foot draft. In heavy swell she might be in danger of hitting the bottom, but most of the northern and eastern part of the lake is good for our self-training cruises.

Also, we've got another friend from the forum that sails a Hunter 31 out of Slidell. We've gone out on Ponchartrain with him and are planning to sail our boat into Ponchartrain sometime this season to meet him out in the lake east of the causeway.
We'll fit under the bridges, but the Hunter will not.
Once we firm up a date, we can holler at you if you'd be interested in joining our little sail adventure from out of NOLA
Old 06-05-2013, 20:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Welcome yall !! From down the Bayou ! Sounds like ya got the work split up pretty well LOL. We split em a little different, chores that is. We both navigate, we both cook, I sling the wrenchs and do the Electrics and the electronics, she bakes and we both do maintaince, ya know cleaning, painting, ect. It won't be long and yall will be looking for a little bigger boat !! Have fun ! We still are, nothing like sailing, either day sailing, or cruiseing!
Thanks! I'm pretty happy leaving the steering to him. I love playing with the lines and sails. Even changed out our jib for the genoa last weekend!
We're not looking to upgrade any time soon (only got her in October!), but we're making plans for the long haul down to the USVI in the future. And yes, we'll need a bigger Forever Boat. Hubby's 6'3" tall!!