Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2010, 15:42   #1

Boat: Cibert, Titán 25
Greetings from Buenos Aires

Hi there! I joined the forum after my loved woman told me about it.
Well, she already wrote about our plans/dreams, so I'm trying to get all the needed skills, step by step.
Best wishes
kumgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 16:30   #2

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Hiya all ,

I am Adax , the lucky woman who found this amazing guy. It was Kumgang who had the dream first and got me interested and then fascinated .Thanks honey

As K. said I already explained our plans and dreams in my first post, but it does not hurt to dream just a little bit more. So here goes :

The plan of our dream:

Sell houses
Buy a wooden classic sailboat 25-30 ft
Buy house with mooring
Kumgang is doing his helmsman´s course already
Then he will teach me.
After that:
A lot of practicing on the Rio de La Plata , the Parána river , trips to Uruguay ,maybe Brazil

And then ......

Tristan da Cunha

And then?

----------------- ( we will fill in that blank later, won't be hard I am sure )
Adax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 17:29   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
How are the classes going? What kind of boat are you thinking about?
Adax, are you going to take the course too? I took a captains course a few years ago and I loved it, I learned so much.
Cheers and welcome to the forum!
Erika
Old 15-05-2010, 18:46   #4

Erika , our likely route will be that I learn from K once he has got his certification and then just present myself for the exam when I feel good and ready .

K. is better placed to answer your other questions . He has been looking at boats a lot longer and will have the final say in terms of assessment of safety etc ,which is not to say that he does not listen to my view. He simply has the experience/knowledge to do it.

I do look at boats though ( yes the bug is taking hold nicely ) and as chance would have it I was looking at a Cape Dory for sale today ,not for us ,just to nose around really . Beautiful boat . You must be thrilled to have her . Must have a look at your blog to see what you got up to with her so far.

Cheers and good weekend .
Old 15-05-2010, 20:00   #5

Hi Erika: I'm looking for an old, classic wooden boat. The reason? First my love for old things, even wooden things (I am a classical guitar player), last but not least, my budget. Here you can find some old wooden boats in good condition for less than $20.000. If I find a good wooden boat 25 to 30 feet, seaworthy, that will be my choice.

About the classes, well I used to sail a little so now I'm re learning some stuff and just practicing some other stuff. The boat is a 28', fiberglass, very seaworthy, and the lessons are really good, just a few students so we can practice a lot.

cheers
Old 18-05-2010, 05:32   #6
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Hi Kumgang and Adax and welcome to the forum! I understand your appreciation for wooden boats, although I dare say there will be maintenance issues that just don't arise with a vintage guitar. You may want to consider a 'classic plastic' with a wooden interior and teak trim - less (albiet still a great deal) of maintenance, but at least it will leave you with much more time for sailing. Certainly, there should be a number available in the 30 foot range for under $20K, even if you have to sail her home from some popular cruising destination.

Anyway, cheers and good luck with your plans!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 06:50   #7

Hi Southern Star: thanks for your reply. But there are no "classic plastic" here, unfortunately. Only those plastic boats with a modern design (I mean I really like those ancient long keels). And about to buy a boat and then sail her home, again unfortunately, it's not possible due to some local laws. You can buy a boat outside, yes, but then they not allow you to stay here for more than a few months, and if you stay you have to pay a lot of money so it's not a good choice.
I'll keep thinking in wood...and then I'll tell you.

best wishes
Old 18-05-2010, 07:08   #8

Hiya Southern Star ,

to add to what Kumgang siad , basically our belief is also that we can fix ourselves or find someone to fix virtually anything on a wooden boat ,maybe even anywhere .
Personally speaking, it feels as if you have more control over the destiny of your boat .
Old 18-05-2010, 07:42   #9
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I hear you with respect to duties, although I think you would find that repairs to fiberglass (particularly if the hull is not cored) can be made just about anywhere and, indeed, by just about anyone. You list Mexico as one of your home locations - surely there are some boats available from yachters who have given up the dream mid-voyage and are selling off at a reasonable price. You may find that even with the import duties/taxes, you would be ahead of the game.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 08:48   #10

Hiya again,

you know I have heard this a lot on this forum that there are boats literally abandoned but I must admit I have not been up there to look . Where do they advertise them if they do ? I look at the most known listings sites in the US too.
I am landlocked in central Mexico currently. I do look in the classifieds here and among Mexicans it seems a rare pastime . Motorboats galore but maybe 4 sailboats for sale.
But in the end importing is not really possible for secondhand boats . I read myself through all the official gumph and they won't let you stay with your boat for more than 12 months if it is a foreign flagged vessel and you cannot reflag it . I suppose you could moor in Uruguay but this becomes a big expense over time . Our budget won't allow it really .
However, thanks for your ideas. It is good to have an outsider look at things to see if we have missed another avenue in our enthusiasm.
Old 18-05-2010, 10:21   #11

First boat

Hi guys.

Allow me to disagree in the cost of a wooden boat. Even though the can be found cheap, they are very expensive to maintain: "calafateo", barnish often, etc. And then there are the teredo worms (not in the Rio de laPlata, but common in Brazil). They are very nice to look at, but a toothache for the owner.

A good starter, and a solid boat could be a Bries 28, a Van de Stadt design from the 80's (plastic). They can be found for around $20-30K in Buenos Aires, and they can take you anywhere.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 10:39   #12

Hi Dpons.! Are you in Montevideo as a local one or travelling? Yes you're right but...you know. I met many wooden boats owners and all of them can stand those toothaches for the reward of the smell and the sound on a wooden boat. Besides, $20-30K is much more than I can afford. I could spend around 15 to 18K

best wishes
Old 18-05-2010, 11:10   #13

I spend part of the year here in Montevideo.

What can I say...the love for wooden boats can only be cured by owning one

Good luck with your search

Diego
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:30   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
The boat is a beauty and the relationship sounds good. Lucky you two.
regards,