Greetings from Naples (Italy). My name is Sarah Beth. I'm an active duty Sailor in the U.S. Navy
stationed out here in Europe
with my (also active duty) husband, Luis. I've been enlisted for eight years and he for ten. We're getting ready to move back to the United States after a four year absence. I'm sure we'll have some culture shock, but it will be nice to see family
. It's been a long time; thank goodness for Skype! Anyway, we joined the forum because we are considering becoming liveaboards at our next duty station. We're just so sick of paying rent all the time and having nothing to show for it. We don't stay in a duty station long enough to buy a house, and the 12 stations our specialization allows us to work at are all in close proximity to water
, so we could potentially buy a boat and live on it for the remainder of our time in the Navy
. So, that means lots of research
We have agreed on six items so far:
1. We want a sailboat (of course we do, we're Sailors)
2. The size should somewhere between 33' and 44' (preferably in the middle of those numbers)
3. We both need to be able to stand up in it (not a problem for me, but he's 6'1")
4. We want to install a Nature's Head
toilet instead of dealing with a tank/pump
5. We unfortunately like boats way out of our price
range, so we need to not let our imaginations run wild with our pocketbook.
6. We don't want to have to replace the boat (or upgrade to a bigger one) for at least 10 years.
Well, I'll be poking around on the forums
and probably asking a slew of questions in the appropriate sections.