Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2013, 08:11   #1

Greetings from Alaska

Good day to everyone.

Born and raised here and have spent some time on the water. My father owned a couple of fishing boats and one sailboat. Move 100 years layer. My daughter graduated and and the three of us want to see the world.
So Now I'm looking for a 40+ sailboat or catamaran. No intention of staying here, hence the boat lol.
Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and say hi and ask if anyone else on here is from Alaska or this side of the planet.
Currently we are getting rid of those life things we collected and won't fit our new "home".
Wow did we collect it and did I really need those shirts I found in a bag with receipt from 1999? New and retro at the same time.
So, not a huge selection of boats here but were going to Seward to look at a few. Might have to buy something a ways a way and sail it home to sail away. Hmmm..

Well anyway, thanks for listening to me ramble.
Dean
LOSTINALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 09:02   #2

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Greetings from Alaska

Welcome Aboard, Lost... you've joined and informative and somewhat ireverent forum full of great information worth exactly what you pay for it! Nevertheless, many have years of either commercial work aboard or cruising experience you can draw upon.
Personally, I'm familiar with your area and the PNW generally having spent many years commercial fishing in the Bering Sea, in and out of Dutch harbor back in the 60's and towed logs and barges north and south from the 50's through the 80's.
If you're looking for sail or power, a good place to start, particularly in the summer months, would be San Carlos or La Paz, Mexico as it is rather hot and inclimate that time of year and a number of vessels for sale on the hard or at the dock at reasonable prices with not that many folks looking to buy. Good luck in your search...Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 11:43   #3

Boat: Lord Nelson 41' Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailtexas
Welcome Lost! I spent a summer working with Alyeska in '71, what a beautiful state.

Best of luck with your boat search!

Dan
s/v Orion
Sailtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 21:50   #4

Welcome aboard Dean, and greetings from the east coast of the good old USA

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 19:34   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. Hope you can find what you're looking for. Yes, the prices in Mexico and Southern California are better but wow what a slog to get the boat to Alaska if that's what you want to do. May as well sail the boat to Hawaii and then up.
kind regards,
Old 26-06-2013, 22:37   #6

Thanks for the welcome and insight on where to look.

I was originally planning on leaving Alaska by boat as I hate to fly. However, there aren't many choices up here.
We plan on loading the family and belongings up and leaving and sailing around the pacific. Not sure if I will ever return here though. Looking for warmer waters and winters.
Thanks,
Dean
LOSTINALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 23:27   #7

Boat: Fortune 30

I'm currently residing in Juneau and own a lovely sailboat that I cruise the inside passage with comfortably in my spare time. I know that there's a few boats for sale in town, though you're right about the selection of sailboats being rather limited. My boat would be for sale at the right price, but I'm not exactly a motivated seller at this point

If you're in town, let me know and we could wander the docks together or share a pint of homebrew and talk boats.
Pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 17:15   #8

Hi Dean, I am in Anchorage since the first of this year. My family and I just made a big loop to see Alaska. Spent time at Valdez, Homer, Seward and Whittier. I could spend a full day at each walking the docks looking at boats.

Good hunting.
sb60481 is offline   Reply With Quote