Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2010, 17:03   #1

Greetings from a New Old Guy !

My name is Rick and I'm 57 and single. I've worked my life away and am now contemplating my future after I walk away from work. I'm no mariner by any stretch, but I have been comfortable in, on and around water all my life. I've run power boats and had a small day sailor which I enjoyed on the Hudson River as well as many other water bodies. I won't have much in the way of retirement funds, and have been looking at sail boats for sale, and I see that I can buy a medium small boat with a cabin and a galley for little money. I can pay cash to purchase. I am seriously considering divesting myself of the accumulated stuff of my life and simply sailing away. No mortgage, following the warm weather up and down the east coast with sail instead of motor power equaling little fuel costs for motion or heating, humble meals including a lot of fish, and anchoring up for sleep in protected spots, seems like a way of life. Am I crazy?

My sign up on this forum is the first of my efforts to learn about the cruising life style. I'll need charts and the knowledge to use them. I am in learning mode. Anyone with experience is welcome to offer advice and insight is welcome to and I sure would appreciate it. Thank you.
azzir325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 17:36   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
welcome to the forum -- do you own a house - are you going to sell it - if you do sell and why not sell then use the funds to fund the boat -
we were never on a sail boat until we were in our late 50s and took lessons - bought our first boat a jeanneau ds40 new in at age 58 and took off a few years later - we have been out 3+ years and did almost 6 months in the bahamas last year and with GOD's grace will go to mexico and points south this year -

anything we can do to help let us know -

chuck patty and svsoulmates
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 17:43   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
You are not crazy. Lots of us have been down that road.

On the other hand, maybe all of us are crazy, and you are still sane.

In that case, welcome to Crazyland where sailing dreams come true.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 09:48   #4

I very much appreciate your words of support, and I envy you for being a team. When my 20 year marriage went south, big surprise I DIDN'T get the house and I didn't get the kids, just the bills. I bought a mobile home which won't amount to much when I sell it. Plus, if the story of my life continues as I expect it will, I will be alone when I sail away as well as 60 plus years of age, so I would want a smaller boat that I can manage on my own. I see myself living a nomadic lifestyle. Not planning long ocean voyages and probably dropping a hook every night. I imagine I will spend a good amount of time in the intracostal. I'll stay in touch with the kids with my laptop, see them when I can. I would hope a I can meet my needs for electricity with a couple of deep cycle batteries with solar or wind chargers-don't know about a fridge... For now, just a dream. Something like this is what I had in mind:
Catalina 25 sailboat
Rick
Old 25-10-2010, 09:51   #5

Thanks, Dave! I've said it before and I'll say it again- Of all the things I've lost over the years, I miss my mind the most.
Old 25-10-2010, 09:59   #6

Rick this is doable, but it takes some time. You've got a huge support / reference mechanism online and in this forum. I started with nothing and it took me 5 years with a new 36 boat to get it and me ready to sail to the tropics.

I'd be willing to detail my own experience over the phone as it's easier than writing... if you are interested.

But there are many paths to this goal and mine is only one. YMMV. PM and we can exchange email. I am in the NYC area.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 12:05   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Your idea is a good one. Many people have done what you propose and it worked for them.
I'd recommend you look at the couple links after my signature and also the book recommendation. The Catalina 25 is a good boat but I'd recommend a Pearson Ariel or Triton for more liveaboard comfort. Ariel is 26 and Triton is 28. There are a few other boats that have a more liveaboard friendly layout than the Catalina 25. Its best to go look at a few and imagine spending lots of time on them.
Good luck on your boat choice and let us know what you are looking at so owners or former owners can comment on them.
kind regards,
Old 25-10-2010, 12:07   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Oh, I forgot to mention that I did an interisland jaunt on a Columbia 28 that surprised me with its liveability and sturdiness.
kind regards,
Old 25-10-2010, 14:29   #9

Thanks again...

...to everyone who took the time to reply, and it is good to know my pipe dreams actually have come true for other people. I want to reiterate in case I wasn't clear, this is not happening for a few at least or more years from now, that I want to find a boat I can purchase outright and that one of the primary goals is a low expense lifestyle so that my meager savings can last me a long time. Neither is going to foreign lands a priority. I am not planning to disappear from the world. I kind of think I would be east coast US to around Florida into the Gulf and west to Texas in winter. Summertimes might find me anywhere from the St Lawrence seaway to the Great Lakes to the Hudson and the Chesapeake. For now, and for the foreseeable future, I find myself sitting in my NY home as winter approaches and wishing I could simply sail to the warmth.
Rick
Old 25-10-2010, 15:11   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Ok... so you've 3yrs b4 the bell tolls....
Time to start preparing... get to a sailing school that does National Quals and get at least the Coastal Skipper or the US equivalent... I nearly said Day but figure the extra Nav tuition's worth going for...
Read up all you can and go on the net and check out boats from 25ft to 30ft in your area and the 'era' your searching in... don't matter about the price being 2 or 10K... get on board, look at everything... take pictures... act like a buyer and you'll gain knowledge about you want and also pick up some handy tips/ideas from your visits that may prove useful in your future boat....

Right... that's the first 18mths.... 18 more to go.....
Now the search begins in earnest... in the first 12mths you need to find and buy the 'Floating Phoenix' that will be you.... also I reckon by now, after all that clambering on and off boats in various marinas and harbours you should have made a few acquaintances and possibly a couple of friends with sailboats...
Go sailing with them... if they offer... if they don't... give them a subtle hint like "What I need is to go out with someone who really 'knows what they're doing..." in the middle of a sailing tale of his.... he'll bite your hand off to get you on board.
If your on schedule there's 6 to 9mths now for you to play and tinker with your boat to get you/it comfortable... but don't feel it has to be totally perfect... just good enough to go on with...
Getting the interior just right is an evolving thing and should not be rushed... one cushion/shelf at a time.. easier to live with... and to tear down if it don't work...lol.
Come the final day she should be sitting at the dock, provisioned and ready to go... grab the gold watch... do the speech... then sneak out grab a cab and head for 'HOME'

As for the meagre savings... don't touch them if you can avoid it... there's always temporary work to be founds in B/yards the length of the ICW... work for your spares, new sails etc... and watch and learn while your at it...
Phil
Attached Images

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 15:23   #11

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Welcome Aboard

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 15:35   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Oh ****... I forgot...
Welcome.......

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote