Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2012, 10:40   #1

Greetings for Nelson, British Columbia

Hey everyone! Been lurking for a while now... lots of great information on CF and I've had the app on my phone for whenever there's a free minute to learn some sailing tidbit or read an interesting story. With the recent purchase of my first real boat I suppose it's time to jump in and say hello - I'll definitely be looking for some advice!

I grew up in Fiji and Hawaii. Living on the ocean most my life surfing, diving, fishing, and sailing - mostly traditional Hawaiian boats. I Moved to Canada a few years ago to a little town called Nelson - on the West Arm of Kootenay Lake. Sailed some smaller boats; skunks, lazers, sprites, racing cats, and some racing cruisers - nothing over 30' and no real heavy conditions or expeditions. I figure I am a beginner-intermediate sailor. I understand the basic operations of a variety of boats and am at home on the water, but this is the first time I have owned my own boat this size and gotten to really study and work things out on my own time with my own equipment

The boat market isn't exactly lively around here so most folks head down to Vancouver, Washington, or Idaho. I kept my eye on things for a few months though and found a 1979 Catalina 27 moored locally. I Paid $7000. She is in acceptable shape with only minor cosmetic issues and some slightly worrisome vintage rigging. I've sailed her perhaps a dozen times in various conditions, some over-nighters out the lake, had a few mechanical meltdowns with the outboard and cockpit controls, and major trial-by-fire navigating around the marina!

Happy to report that it's been relatively smooth sailing thus far. Over the summer I'm going to be making some repairs and modifications while working on the various skills. I look forward to participating in the CF community
shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 10:44   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Greetings for Nelson, British Columbia

Welcome...Being in Nelson and not near water must feel like being shipwrecked
I rode through there on one of my Harley's in 1978. Beautiful place.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 11:06   #3

Yeah Nelson isn't exactly my dream location for sailing, but aside from living on the Coast it is one of the biggest lakes in BC - the potential for some longer trips is definitely there. If I were to leave the West Arm and sail to Lardeau in the North End and back it would be close to 200k. Wrapping down towards Kuskanook on the South End on the return trip would add another 100k

I think, I'm just measuring some quick paths on Google Earth

(EDIT: Mind you, all this is no further than 3k from shore!)

I'm definitely here until Winter so I figured I might as well make the most of my time and get my own boat and some more sailing experience. I do love to tinker and wrench on things so its nice having a fixer-upper with dock power

My ideal plan would be to work on this boat, sell it for profit, and reinvest in something on Vancouver Island when I'm ready to commit to more serious endeavors
shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 21:30   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you posting here on the forum.
kind regards,
Old 28-07-2012, 22:12   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Welcome to the forum. I spent many years in the Nelson area. It's a beautiful spot. The winds are a little flukey though.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
british columbia, columbia

« Hi! | New member »