Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2015, 21:45   #1

Boat: Truant 33 Pilothouse
Greetings and Thanks from Haines , AK

Howdy!

It's always nerve-wracking to post a first post to a new group of folks - but I'll start off by saying "Thank You!" for all the help and information so far. Your posts have been invaluable.

My name is Gene, my partner's name is Michele, and we hail from Haines, Alaska.

I'm afraid (but not apologetic) that we've gone and done something a bit rash. It won't be the first time, but that's not to say it doesn't present one of the biggest challenges I've ever faced.

Yes, with no sailing experience other than mild crewing on a friend's motor barge, and our own small (16') Devlin Dipper, we've gone and bought a 33' Truant pilothouse sloop. (Similar if not identical to the Saturna 33)

And she's over 1000 miles away so guess what I get to do this August? Yep ... the Inside Passage. Don't worry (overmuch) I'm pretty sure I've got professional help. I'll MAKE SURE I have professional help - at least experienced, preferably with Inside Passage knowledge, but at any rate, I plan to take it pretty slow and cautious, PLANNING to wait out the weather and time travel according to favorable tides, and lots of study before each leg.

As I see it, one of the biggest challenges is being able to break it all down into understandable sections, and proceed with specific knowledge. Figuring out HOW to do this is a pretty big task to undertake. Lots of charts and books and web reading, and .. oh my!

And the list of preparations is getting longer. Provisioning plans based on "What if?" and getting ideas on how to live and travel comfortably and safely.

So I'm glad to have such an informative and fun resource such as this forum ... and look forward to the day when, as an old salt, I am offering my own advice to some rash greenhorn who got themselves a boat ....

Cheers,

Gene
Mizamook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 21:51   #2

Re: Greetings and Thanks from Haines , AK

You have the right attitude so I think you will do just fine. Make sure to report on how everything goes. Oh by the way, welcome!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 22:56   #3

Will do, and thank you! In fact, you touched on the fear I have - and I appreciate the combined admonition (maintain the right attitude/take it seriously) as well as the reassurance ("you'll do fine")

I need both.

Fear is healthy - cowardice is death. Or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
You have the right attitude so I think you will do just fine. Make sure to report on how everything goes. Oh by the way, welcome!
Old 20-06-2015, 03:33   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gene.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 04:53   #5

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

If you have the time you can certainly make a safe passage. Just take the necessary delays for weather. A bigger concern will be the condition of the new to you boat. It is true that cruising is really fixing your boat in out of the way places. Your contemplating a long trip in a recreational vessel...I would put her on a barge and get her home and then sort her out....You need to know what you have in great detail or you will likely suffer great expense, to say nothing of inconvenience.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 05:12   #6

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum Gene. As you are probably aware, any repairs or refitting you may need to do will be far cheaper, easier, and faster, done down south rather than in Haines. Hopefully she won't need too much help.
Old 20-06-2015, 11:59   #7

Thanks for the comments, replies, and welcomes.

Indeed, I will be ascertaining what the vessel needs before I get there, and have an ever-growing list of spares and supplies - some of which will be ordered online and shipped there, and the rest purchased locally as available. Costs of repairs and modifications here in Haines might be allayed by local friends, but certainly can't count on that ... anything heavy needs shipping here it costs a bundle!

According to the information I have, the vessel is in excellent condition.

Shipping her up by barge would cost over $14,000 US. That's not including cradle, de-rigging and re-rigging, etc. Not gonna happen.

I keep running into accounts of unseasoned folks with much lesser boats making it alone ... I "should" be able to successfully navigate the Inside Passage with help and without too many horrible stories to tell.

But I'll be approaching it with caution and a hungry mind.
Old 20-06-2015, 18:03   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Gene and Welcome Aboard the Forum!

Haines Alaska?

Consider yourself lucky! At least you don't have to deliver your boat to Attu! Whew! That would be a trip!

But, I think it would be exciting and fun and a great experience for you to do the Inside Passage on your own boat.

Others here have experience on that water, I just flew over it and kayaked a bit not far from you.

I wish you the best of luck and smooth sailing!

Steady
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 20:47   #9

Boat: Skookum 53'

In your shoes, I wouldn't even think of shipping her, your/her maiden voyage through the inside passage will be one for the memory books. Watch out for Dry Bay, my Dad, ran our Skookum 47 aground there on the trip up and true to it's name he had photos of her laying on her side with sand all around. One of the keys is watching your tides and planning your movements accordingly.
Old 20-06-2015, 21:15   #10

Boat: Various

I'm all for deliveries on a boats own bottom and not shipping even if it's more expensive. You get the experience of the boat but also the places on the way. We made it to Haines last summer. Incredible trip there.

Also, while you obviously need spares and equipment as well as tools when it comes to basic provisions such as food you need enough to sustain through unexpected delays but not extraordinary amounts as there's plenty of available shopping along the way. We'd never been to a Safeway before the west coast, but they're everywhere along your path it seems.

Just enjoy and one warning. Do not let a calendar rule. Especially in a new to you boat, err on the side of precaution. If in doubt whether to proceed on a given day, don't.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 11:43   #11

Oh, yes, yes, I DO consider myself quite lucky - to be living in Haines, (by choice) and to be able to buy a sailboat, and to have the time (especially the time to dally when the forecasts indicate I should) to sail her here. Yes, Attu would be a pretty extreme extension of that ... and for sure - when I got the quote for the barge, I was relieved ... took the option out of my hands, thus eliminating the (ahem) "not-so-adventurous" means of getting her here.

I do appreciate the encouraging words, and the points of caution. Thank you. Should I set up a new thread in which to discuss plans and timing and details like navigation and all the fun things that can add up to make for a delightful voyage ... or should I just do it here?
Old 22-06-2015, 12:04   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizamook View Post
Oh, yes, yes, I DO consider myself quite lucky - to be living in Haines, (by choice) and to be able to buy a sailboat, and to have the time (especially the time to dally when the forecasts indicate I should) to sail her here. Yes, Attu would be a pretty extreme extension of that ... and for sure - when I got the quote for the barge, I was relieved ... took the option out of my hands, thus eliminating the (ahem) "not-so-adventurous" means of getting her here.

I do appreciate the encouraging words, and the points of caution. Thank you. Should I set up a new thread in which to discuss plans and timing and details like navigation and all the fun things that can add up to make for a delightful voyage ... or should I just do it here?
Hi.

I think it is best to start new threads in the other forums that more closely match the intent/subject of the thread.

This particular forum/area is really about introductions and "hellos."

Good luck.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 12:06   #13

Thanks - that's kinda what I thought.

Thanks again for the welcomes, and seeya all in the threads!

Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Hi.

I think it is best to start new threads in the other forums that more closely match the intent/subject of the thread.

This particular forum/area is really about introductions and "hellos."

Good luck.