Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2005, 15:45   #1

Boat: ketch, 51'
Greetings and Salutations from the Gulf Coast

Greetings to all,
Permission to come aboard...
I am new to this forum also to the incredible world of sailing, and eager to learn and read all I can. Looking forward to hear words of wisdom from 'Old Salts'
We purchased a 1987 Hunter sloop 34ft this past summer and have enjoyed it immensely. We have spent as much time as weather permits and navigate the MS Sound and Gulf of Mexico mostly looking foolish as we play with the sails and gain valuable experience. Back at the marina, I'm sure we were the entertainment for the day as they watch us maneuver into our slip. Overall, we now feel quite comfortable, but there remains a lot of respect and we acknowledge our lack of experience on a sailboat.
We are planning our first long voyage here soon; this will be from MS to Dry Tortugas, FL. What the heck worst comes to worst we will swim to shore, rent a car go home and call the insurance company...
We survived the wrath of Katrina, though not many others had the same fortune. This was only our second time seeking safe harbor and securing for the storm. :viking:
Old 31-12-2005, 16:31   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Mario

Glad to see you pulled thru the storm!

Have you considered taking sailing lessons (if you haven't already)? There’s a lot of valuable technology with aerodynamics. Some of that includes getting underway and docking without the use of a motor. As well, the teaching of terminologies and the parts of a vessel. What you learn in a short time may take years on your own or by mistake.

Anyway, welcome aboard! Tell us how you escaped the wrath of Katrina…………._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 19:33   #3

We have taken lessons and are up to date with the terminology and parts/ functions of our vessel. No problem grasping the principles of the aerodynamics as they pertain to sailing and have experience in navigation. What we have been working on is the hands on part and getting the feel for the vessel, for example ,we know it is better or advisable to reef prior to leaving the dock, but we want to see what it is to do it in a less than ideal situation once underway. Have worked on MOB maneuvers, techniques, anchoring etc.
Now as far as getting underway and docking without the use of a motor… well that is going to be a challenge where we are, I am sure it is not impossible but I have to walk before I can run.

For Katrina we sailed to a back bay then onto the Bayous, there we enter the canals witch have 6ft depth, though we rubbed several times with our 41/2 ft draft - these are uncharted waters. Once there you find several young trees (about 1ft diameter) that have some flex and wrapped chains to the bases where we tied. We doubled lines (double braided ¾” nylon) and secured the vessel across the canal with 100 ft of line fore and aft. What ever could be removed was secured below deck, and tied the heck out of everything else that moved or thought of moving, the main sail remained on but very tightly wrapped and secured, others removed. We gave her our last blessings and hoped for the best.
She survived the 45 ft tidal surge 15 ft waves and 160 + mph winds … Long Beach, our home port is gone, as are Bay St Louis, Waveland, Pass Christian… Total devastation, pictures and videos do not come close to telling the story, having survived and suffered the greatest force mother nature dealt us, it is still difficult to comprehend the magnitude of the destruction (we are still finding bodies in the rubble). A sign erected in Pass Christian puts it very eloquent “Move over Camille, the Bitch Katrina is here and she is Pissed”
Here are some views of Katrina’s aftermath …

Katrina photos
Old 01-01-2006, 21:11   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
It sounds that your doing good so far. It seem I under estimated you skills from reading your previous post.

If I were 20 years younger (with good joints) I'd be heading down that a way to find me a bigger fixer. But I've already got one here that I'm into too far to drop now.

Fair winds............................_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 23:30   #5

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
If you can manage to

If you can manage to save sail boat with as much forethought as you displayed, seems to me you're going to be all right. I'm not sure I would have done as well as you.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:20   #6

Smile Welcome Aboard

Welcome aborad mario f.

You should consider yourself very lucky to have survived "Hurricane Katrina."

Like you have mentioned. Alot of people did not survive the storm. And unfortunately, alot of people lost their homes and jobs. Their livelihoods, their way of life. Gone. Probably lost forever.

Here in Phoenix Arizona. We have some of the survivors here in our city. And many other cities have welcomed the homeless from New Orleans. But what the media failed to mention is the other towns and other places that were affected by Katrina. Other people suffered as well.

And alot of us on this forum knows very well. That some people who buys direlect sailboats. Well, be down there around the Gulf Coast. Buying up lots of project boats down that way. I say, "good luck to them."

Well, welcome aboard. And if you have questions that need answers. You'' probably find them here if this forum.

Good Luck.
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:38   #7

Boat: Pearson 365- Trident
Welcome

Mario, Certainly happy to hear you made it through Katrina. I was in Gulfport the day after it hit. You are correct in saying that the news accounts don't come close to describing it. I went to Pas Christian and Bay St. Louis as well. Simply incredible. The people of that area were tremendously wonderful people considering what they went through. Best of luck to you. Welcome again!

SailWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 15:20   #8

We are very grateful to have survived Katrina and God bless all of you that came to our area and volunteered. We love you!!!:kissy:
We have been the recipients of many, many wonderful gifts, volunteers, and help from around the world and are very grateful.
We remain tied in the canal, at pos N30 20.62 W089 15.204 (for those curious to see where we are- notice it is in the direct path of the storm) the channels have been cleared, but much debris remains in the MS Sound – roofs, cars, trees etc. We hope to set sail soon and venture east since we have no harbor to return to.
The Man above, I am sure was keeping guard over us, and has given us the strength to continue in our recovery process. Things have changed and we have changed with them. Some positive, some negative, and many will never recover from the experience.
Thank you all for the warm reception. Looking forward to learning and sharing experiences.

These two are about 100’ from the canal where we are…

Tags
gulf coast