Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2017, 12:57   #1

GREETINGS & anyone going....?!

Lifelong dream being fulfilled with purchase of Sport Fisherman. Anyone I can trail at least part way from where I'm buying (Long Island, NY) south?!

I am a boater/fisherman for almost 60 yrs now and very excited transitioning from center console open fish boats to a Sports fisherman. Lots of experience in FL waters and lots of fishing off NC coast. Consequently, have the utmost respect transitioning NC waters with its often changeable weather and seas.

I am hoping to find an experienced motor boater heading south that I can trail at least part of the trip. I expect to be both inshore & offshore weather dependent. I am heading to my home port of Amelia Island/Fernandina Bch, FL from Freeport, Long Island. My dates are anytime between Sept 15th & Oct 1st. And I'd like to get to FL sooner rather than later so no extended stops in my float plan. I have no north of FL ICW experience so the NJ to Charleston areas are my biggest challenges. From Charleston south, I will undoubtedly be going outside and direct.

My new boat is a 45 Rampage. Best cruising is between 22-28 kts. I have 700 gallon fuel capacity so no need to run in until day's end. My crew is experienced and we won't require any babysitting or infringing on anyone's privacy. Would just appreciate being able to follow someone who's done this and knows their way around preferred routes, best stops, etc.

I understand anyone not wanting to broadcast their plans so please reach out via PM or email should you be willing to let us hook up with you. Thanks & best.....

Elliot
Elsboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 13:09   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: GREETINGS & anyone going....?!

You really don't need any help, it's pretty straightforward. Active Captain is your friend along the way for local knowledge and recent conditions. I have a feeling if you buddy up you're going to spend time waiting or stopping at places you don't want/need to stop. If you're on a schedule it might be aggravating.

If you're trying to make time then I'd take offshore hops all the way to Norfolk, then the ICW to Beaufort NC, then outside hops from there. While the ICW from there on down is pretty straightforward there will be a lot of traffic that time of year and you'll be slowing to not throw a wake so often it will drive you crazy.

I'd go Beaufort --> Wrightsville Beach, inside to Southport (to avoid all the way around Frying Pan shoals, although there is a slue you can cut through), Southport to Winyah Bay/Georgetown, or just straight on to Charleston weather and fuel permitting.

What's your range at cruise with that tankage?
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 13:23   #3

Please clarify; "ACTIVE CAPTAIN". A book/chart or website? Thanks!

I've had 2 captain friends tell me the exact same when it comes to following someone. Doubtful speeds will match and it will be a pain.

I have the same concerns you mention with respect to ICW. And the "slue" you mention is exactly why I was hoping to trail someone. Perhaps a piece of it anyhow.

Anticipated range is going to be at least 250 miles offshore. Fuel burn between 40-50 gph and with a 700 gallon capacity and figuring 90% usable, I can run near 12 hrs before refueling. I've done Fernandina Bch to Savannah many times in my 32' open fish so don't have hesitation doing Charleston direct weather permitting. Thanks...........

Elsboss
Elsboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 22:31   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard here Elliot!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 06:25   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Elliot.

https://cse.google.com/cse?siteurl=w...AIN&gsc.page=1

https://activecaptain.com/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote