Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2004, 13:43   #1

Greetings

New to this forum and just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. My wife and I are about 4 years into a 5 year plan improve our sailing skills, buy a boat, sell the house and take off. During the past four years, we've taken all of the ASA courses and done a lot of charters on the Chesapeake and in the BVIs.

For the past two years, we've been looking for a monohull that we would feel comfortable living aboard and sailing wherever the winds took us. Last Summer, we decided to try sailing a catamaran. With three other non-sailing couples we chartered a 47 foot catamaran out of Tortola. Had a fantastic time. We continued to look at monohulls and almost bought one (learned the value of a good surveyer). We are now the proud and happy owners of a Manta 40.

This Summer, we're getting to know our boat and exploring the Chesapeake (out of Kent Island). Next Spring we're retiring, selling the house and taking off some time during the Summer.

One more cold winter, then we're off to warmer climates.

Fair Winds

Bruce & Lin
S/V Alize
BruceO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 19:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Is the boat shadowfax? If it is not Shadowfax, the Manta looks lake a great boat! Good luck in your new life! I will be the boat that you will be passing!
irwinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 20:32   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
It just goes to show ya!

There's just something about a Cat that makes it hard to stick with a monohull.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:25   #4

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Welcome

Hi Bruce,
Welcome to the board and congratulations on your Manta. We just moved aboard our Manta about 2 months ago, so we understand about learning curves.

We plan to be in the Chesapeake in early fall and would love to meet up and compare notes. Keep us posted on your where and when.

Fair winds,

Harriet
s/v Perseverance
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:57   #5

Thanks for the replies

Hi

To answer a couple of questions, our Manta is hull 35 and when we purchased her, we liked the name, Alize, and kept it. I believe that Shadowfax is hull 47.

We are in Castle Harbor Marina, just above Kent Narrows (across from Annapolis) on the Chesapeake. We'd enjoy getting together with other Manta owners who are in the area. If there are other Manta owners who will be at the SSCA get together in Annapolis in October, it might be a great chance to meet.

Bruce
Old 05-06-2004, 05:55   #6

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
We'll definitely see you there.

Might you also be going to the Southbound Cruisers Reunion in Baltimore in September?

Harriet
s/v Perseverance
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 18:46   #7

Tell me about Southbound Cruisers Reunion

Harriet

I'm afraid that I'm not familar with the Southbound Cruisers Reunion, but it sounds interesting. We won't be heading south until the fall of 2005. I would like to learn more about the Southbound Cruisers Reunion. Please let me know more about this and if it is something that we would be welcome to attend.

Thanks

Bruce
Old 04-10-2005, 15:55   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posted at SSCA Discussion Board : Oct 4, 2005 09:31:22 ~ by Dick Giddings
http://www.ssca.org/sscabb/index.php?

Latest update...Southbound Cruisers Reunion....

Halloween Weekend, Oct. 28, 29, 30 ~ at New Bern, N.C.*, Sheraton Grand Hotel and Marina.

Friday: Registration at the Sheraton Quarterdeck (pool) starting at noon. (Sign up for transportation...)

1700 Happy Hour on the Quarterdeck with cash bar and heavy hors d’oeuvres menu. Drawing.

1800 Free time to sample the 18 restaurants in town, or to socialize, meet and greet other cruisers.

Saturday: Propane pickup and delivery at 0900 in the parking lot behind the Sheraton Marina office. Cylinders will be returned in approximately 1 hour.

0900 Registration continuing throughout the day at "Salty Paws", on F/G Dock

Til 1430 Free time to shop, do laundry, visit....transportation from Marina parking lot.

1430 Seminar -Coastal Carolina Cruising---(Claiborne Young)

1500 Seminar - continued.....

1530 Seminar -Bahamas Weather (Chris)

1600 Seminar - CSS Neuse (Guy Smith)

1630 Seminar - First Aid & Medications Aboard (Dr. Bentley)

1700 Happy Hour------Setup for "North Carolina Dinner"

1800 "North Carolina Dinner" (Costumes optional)

1900 Speakers and drawings

2000 Musical "jam session" bring your horns, and join in, or just listen....

Sunday: Free time until 1200...transportation in Marina parking lot

1200 Seminar - "pink" Roundtable; Things the Admiral needs to know....

1300 Seminar - Neuse River Keeper - Larry Baldwin

1330 Seminar - continued.....

1400 Seminar - Communications - (Chris)

1430 Seminar -Marine Electricity (Bob)

1500 Seminar -Knotical Knowledge (Bentley) (bring 6' pieces of small line and dock line...)

1600 Seminar - Severe weather anchoring system (Bob)

1630 Seminar - "blue" Roundtable: Or....."Tech Net" issues for the Captains

1700 Happy Hour-----Setup for Cruisers Pot Luck Dinner

1800 Cruisers’ Pot Luck Dinner, drawings, announce "second annual" and ask for questionaires to be returned, discussion...Farewell, Fair Winds, Following Seas.

2000+ Clean up the Farmers’ Market, and haul trash, store tables and chairs....

(Important: you may bring beer and/or wine to the Farmers’ Market, but NOT liquor!)

Dick Giddings
Dover, NC
252-523-7146
s/v St. Jude
rcgiddings@earthlink.net

* A.I.C.W. - MILE 185, NC - NEW BERN
This is a side trip up the Neuse River. It is located off the ICW by some 14 miles.

The marina's extensive floating, wooden-decked deepwater docks on the Trent's northern banks are between the low-level Trent River highway and railroad bridges. Minimum depths alongside are 8 feet, with 12-foot soundings typical. A 700-foot floating dock designed as a breakwater fronts the dockage complex, providing not only additional berth space but good shelter for the remaining slips. All docks have ultramodern power, water, and cable-television connections. Gasoline and diesel fuel can be purchased, and transients are free to make use of the hotel's swimming pool. Free waste pump-out service is offered, sponsored by the local Rotary Club. Clean showers, a laundromat, and a well-outfitted exercise room are available on the first floor of the adjacent convention center.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote