Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 07:20   #31
Registered User
 
nitpik's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada, North Channel of Lake Huron
Boat: 41' Colvin Gaff-rigged Schooner
Posts: 222
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik
Re: Greeting from Georgian Bay

Andrew, if you make it to Tobermory, then Wingfield Basin is a great place to stop the previous evening. You can sail straight in under the most horrific conditions, with ample room to then round up and drop sail inside. Very peaceful place to wait out bad weather. (and cheaper than Tobermory!)
__________________

__________________
Some days you step in it ............... some days you don't.
nitpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:51   #32
Registered User
 
ADMPRTR's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Boat: CS36 Traditional
Posts: 551
Re: Greeting from Georgian Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb View Post
Andrew, Baie Fine is at the top of Georgian Bay, just north of Killarney. It is the long narrow Bay ( Baie ) running E-W into the Western edge and the "P" of Killarney Provincial Park. The 2 red arrows are Bustard Islands ( NE) and Franklin Island just N of Parry Sound. We've made Killarney last year in 3 easy days, stopping at Franklin Isl. and Beaverstone Bay and 2 years ago in 2 long days.

More pictures of the trip last year Summer 2010
A few years ago we went to Franklin and hope to include it for this year.

It was one of my most memerable sailing days when we got lost out in outer harbour (we didn't have a GPS chartplotter) and had to stop dead in the water while I got my bearings (don't want tob sailing blind in that area). Then we entered in the southern gap to the small craft route behind the island with waves crashing on rocks on either side of the channel. If I had misjudged our trajectory we would have been on the lee rocks with 1M waves pounding down on us. My heart was pumping hard that day (we now have chart plotter).

Sounds Baie Fine like a good potental target for 2011. I guess it is about 150nM from Penetang? How is the depth?

Great pix by the way. I love the gniess rocks that twist their way along the Canadian Shield shoreline.

For 2011 I want to do the south shore so we could work our way out the Tobermory and then head north to Baie Fine and then circle round east along the North shore, time permitting.

Andrew
__________________

__________________
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:54   #33
Registered User
 
ADMPRTR's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Boat: CS36 Traditional
Posts: 551
Re: Greeting from Georgian Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitpik View Post
Andrew, if you make it to Tobermory, then Wingfield Basin is a great place to stop the previous evening. You can sail straight in under the most horrific conditions, with ample room to then round up and drop sail inside. Very peaceful place to wait out bad weather. (and cheaper than Tobermory!)
Yes, I have seen pictures. Looks idealic. We tried for that two years ago but had mechanical problems and had to return by prematurely. We only got as far as Cape Croker.

Thanks,
Andrew
__________________
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 13:34   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Parry Sound Ontario
Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"
Posts: 169
Re: Greeting from Georgian Bay

SHH-SHH Don't tell everyone how great it is here I mean, no I know home ports since 1979 Owen sound Vadersted&mcguer 82 Penetang Dutchman cove ,85. King bay , and now that I am older Parry sound and I can always find an anchorage that is private and quiet .It is the greatest fresh water cruising in the world.
Welcome Andrew
__________________
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 13:50   #35
Registered User
 
ADMPRTR's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Boat: CS36 Traditional
Posts: 551
Re: Greeting from Georgian Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by olepedersen View Post
SHH-SHH Don't tell everyone how great it is here I mean, no I know home ports since 1979 Owen sound Vadersted&mcguer 82 Penetang Dutchman cove ,85. King bay , and now that I am older Parry sound and I can always find an anchorage that is private and quiet .It is the greatest fresh water cruising in the world.
Welcome Andrew
I have heard that before: "Greatest Fresh Water Cruising in the World" and I wonder how true that statement is?

I mean, I believe it, but then again, I have only cruised a small portion of the Great Lakes so I can not compare it to other locales based on my limited experience. Of course, "greatest" can mean different things to different people (ie. some people don't like Georgian Bay because of the trick navigtion).

Georgian Bay, is very beautiful, steeped in history, goelogically interesting and has those wonderful hiding places you referred to. But you have to look where you are going. In comparison, I liked Lake Ontario, because it was open sailing and you have to go out of your way to hit ground (I actually ran myself up on a shoal in the Bay of Quinte but that is another story).

What other fresh water cruising grounds would compare to the 30,000 Islands and Georgian bay? Any comments?

Andrew
__________________
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 15:17   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgian Bay
Boat: Hunter 33 - Sunset Chaser
Posts: 67
Re: Greeting from Georgian Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by olepedersen View Post
SHH-SHH Don't tell everyone how great it is here I mean, no I know home ports since 1979 Owen sound Vadersted&mcguer 82 Penetang Dutchman cove ,85. King bay , and now that I am older Parry sound and I can always find an anchorage that is private and quiet .It is the greatest fresh water cruising in the world.
Welcome Andrew
Of course, there is the HUGE misquitos, black bears swimming across the anchorages ( actually did hear of this couple of times last year ) the 1 week cruising time bewteen ice melting and freezing over again....

Some of my favorite anchorages are in the Parry Sound area, we had a very quiet / private anchorage on ( deleted for secrecy ) Island

Are you right in Parry Sound or out at Killbear Marina. We went into Big Sound Marina few years back and had a float plane almost land on me going through the gap past the main town dock.
__________________
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 15:22   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgian Bay
Boat: Hunter 33 - Sunset Chaser
Posts: 67
Re: Greeting from Georgian Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMPRTR View Post
A few years ago we went to Franklin and hope to include it for this year.

It was one of my most memerable sailing days when we got lost out in outer harbour (we didn't have a GPS chartplotter) and had to stop dead in the water while I got my bearings (don't want tob sailing blind in that area). Then we entered in the southern gap to the small craft route behind the island with waves crashing on rocks on either side of the channel. If I had misjudged our trajectory we would have been on the lee rocks with 1M waves pounding down on us. My heart was pumping hard that day (we now have chart plotter).

Sounds Baie Fine like a good potental target for 2011. I guess it is about 150nM from Penetang? How is the depth?

Great pix by the way. I love the gniess rocks that twist their way along the Canadian Shield shoreline.

For 2011 I want to do the south shore so we could work our way out the Tobermory and then head north to Baie Fine and then circle round east along the North shore, time permitting.

Andrew

I wouldn't want to go far without a chartplotter in the 30,000 Islands area. There's many areas that is clear water as far as you can see..... and a very narrow channel to navigate through the rocks....

Baie Fine has lots of good anchorages. I've anchored in 30 ft. of water, and stern tied to the shore. We took 2 weeks last year and ended up staying in Baie Fine 5 nights, ended up running out of water, full holding tank, no ice for the beer, no coffee left.... but had a great time.
__________________
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 15:33   #38
Registered User
 
ADMPRTR's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Boat: CS36 Traditional
Posts: 551
Re: Greeting from Georgian Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb View Post
I wouldn't want to go far without a chartplotter in the 30,000 Islands area. There's many areas that is clear water as far as you can see..... and a very narrow channel to navigate through the rocks....

Baie Fine has lots of good anchorages. I've anchored in 30 ft. of water, and stern tied to the shore. We took 2 weeks last year and ended up staying in Baie Fine 5 nights, ended up running out of water, full holding tank, no ice for the beer, no coffee left.... but had a great time.
Yes, I learned the value of a chartplotter on that trip which is why it was one of the first things I installed when I bought the new boat. Wouldn't leave home without it!

I sounds like a great destination. Thanks.

Andrew
__________________
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 17:01   #39
Senior Cruiser
 
Blue Stocking's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Georges, Bda
Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Posts: 4,114
Re: Greeting from Georgian Bay

In an earlier post I refferred to a Midland friend of many years who has passed.
On his last sail before cancer took him, he commented that he had never sailed to the Iron mine at the bottom of Twelve Mile Bay, on chart 2202. Wind was on the nose, and on that beat, the three of us (another Bermudian mutual friend joined us), lost track of how many times we tacked.
We spent the full moon night at the bottom end of the Bay, watching fish on the bottom in crystal clear water, and watching and listening to the loons nearby. The following morning we went ashore to the mine, from which I still have ore samples on my mantel.
We drank a lot of "Dark 'n Stormy" that night, and I like to think we solved some of the worlds problems.
Terry gave me the charts, annotated with his comments accumalated over the years, which I am viewing as a write.
That was probably the most significant sail in my 65 years. I have been back a number of times, most recently 7 years ago to bring a Monk 42 from Penetang to Florida, thru the Trent-Severn.
__________________
so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 17:45   #40
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Boat: Chris Craft Corinathian 331 & Chris Craft Constellation 501
Posts: 28
Re: Greeting from Georgian Bay

No reason to have warm beer in the Northern Great Lakes... place beer in a bucket and lower to the bottom of the anchor hole... it gots to come up cold!!
__________________
biminijimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:34   #41
Registered User
 
ADMPRTR's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Boat: CS36 Traditional
Posts: 551
Re: Greeting from Georgian Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
In an earlier post I refferred to a Midland friend of many years who has passed.
On his last sail before cancer took him, he commented that he had never sailed to the Iron mine at the bottom of Twelve Mile Bay, on chart 2202. Wind was on the nose, and on that beat, the three of us (another Bermudian mutual friend joined us), lost track of how many times we tacked.
We spent the full moon night at the bottom end of the Bay, watching fish on the bottom in crystal clear water, and watching and listening to the loons nearby. The following morning we went ashore to the mine, from which I still have ore samples on my mantel.
We drank a lot of "Dark 'n Stormy" that night, and I like to think we solved some of the worlds problems.
Terry gave me the charts, annotated with his comments accumalated over the years, which I am viewing as a write.
That was probably the most significant sail in my 65 years. I have been back a number of times, most recently 7 years ago to bring a Monk 42 from Penetang to Florida, thru the Trent-Severn.
Thanks for sharing that. There are those special trips that stand out that makes it all worth while.
__________________

__________________
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Georgian Bay Ports Guide Dudeman Classifieds Archive 1 15-08-2010 09:16
Looking for Marina to Take Down Mast Near Entrance to Trent Severn from Georgian Bay Barquito Marinas 2 29-07-2010 13:34
Sailing Georgian Bay Waterborn Off Topic Forum 3 28-10-2009 07:14
Hello Sailors -Georgian Bay and North Channel Dave the Canuck Meets & Greets 12 23-07-2008 16:47
Liveaboard in Georgian Bay buster Liveaboard's Forum 2 07-10-2007 00:48



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.