Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 19:36   #1

Greener Than Lime

So I am not going to call myself a sailor(yet) Im here main because Ive developed a seriously strong interest in sailing and am wanting to get into the sport. I had an interest when i was younger and it came to a head when i went powerboating with my brother in law at buggs island Va and saw some sailboats out there. Hence the title as I am more than green at all this. I keep looking at videos on youtube on basic maneuvering and the physics of the whole thing to get a basic idea. So there is my story

Robert
Treton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 20:01   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Greener Than Lime

Welcome aboard Robert! Sailing is an awesome sport/hobby/activity/lifestyle.

I think what sets it apart is there is so much "problem solving." That's why it seems there are so many engineers doing it.

From fixing boats, to improving boats, to racing boats to living on boats it is a very diverse activity.

You don't say your age or fitness but younger fitter folks do well starting in dinghy's or beach cats. Find a location in your area (shop around for the "vibe" that fits you) and get involved.

There are "Snotty Yachtie" clubs for the well to do, mid range clubs for the masses, marinas that have little in the way of activity other than a parking lot and race clubs that can get wild and crazy.

Older folks tend to like to start in keelboats as crawling around dinghys is wet and a bit physical. Small keelboat classes <25 feet is another good option and there are many places that offer ASA classes.

You are in a good location to get started albeit maybe getting late in the season...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 20:34   #3

Thanks! Yeah I am younger at 20y/o and pretty fit 6' tall at 160lb and ive been looking really hard at the Topaz sailing system dinghies they are about 13' with just a main sail and jib to start and they dont sink apparently do to the material they are made of. Interesting you say that sailing is typical of engineers because I am going to school for engineering. First thing I looked up when I started looking through this stuff was how to sail upwind.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:51   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Robert.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:36   #5

Boat: Bristol 34

If you can find a Catalina 22, San Juan 23 or similar sailboat for a reasonable price (I have seen some for sale for around $2500) these little boats are more fun than should be allowed by law. They are small enough to handle easily yet large enough to sleep overnight on.

Stepping up from a sailing dink to something in this class will give you more flexibility and the feel of a larger boat.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 14:58   #6

Yeah I've been doing alot of window shopping on sailboatlistings and see alot of <30' boats for under 10k but since the closest water source to me is Buggs Island Lake and not even knowing anyone myself that sails an "unsinkable"(I could find a way) dinghy would be good to teach myself because I don't think capsizing a 25' vessel first off would influence me positively... Another thing I need to figure out is the "lingo" maybe not the lingo but terminology. I've read some parts of the seamanship forum and I must say i feel pretty clueless with some of the terms thrown out. I found the "sailors dictionary" on here and while it was informative in it's own way, wasn't what I was looking for.
Old 06-09-2012, 16:17   #7

Boat: Bristol 34

Check Amazon for a number of beginners books. Seriously, "Sailing For Dummies" is one of the best. BTW, a keel boat is nearly impossible to capsize and if you do then it will pop right back up. Really, there is no magic to sailing. Learn some basics and get out there - you'll not regret it.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 16:36   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

I also like Keep It Simple Sailing - KISS

Also keep an eye out on craig's list - You can find a dinghy almost free...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 16:39   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Hi, welcome,

I think Youtube is one of many great ways to learn sailing (well, at least to learn some of it). And all learning is good.

You are right in your pursuit of understanding the basic physics beyond the whole thing. When you think you understand, rent a Laser on a tropical beach and see how the theory works in practice!

Lacking a tropical beach, get a wetsuit ;-)

Cheers,
barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 18:34   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
As an old sailing instructor I always recommend finding a cheap Basic Sailing course to get you started in the right direction. "Start Sailing Right!" is a good book to study.
Many clubs offer affordable sailing classes and its a good idea to find a boat that the local clubs are using. That way if they have class races you'll fit right in.
Good to have you here.
kind regards,