Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2006, 11:34   #1

Great Yachts

Hi All,

I just came back from a trip to Monaco and became a huge fan of all the beutifull yachts anchored there in the bay. I'd trully love to own one of those but sadly am not rich enough.
From all the boates listed here:
http://www.abc-articles.info/cruising-sailing/5086.php

I saw the Tatoosh, Montkaj and the Delphine. Do any of you guys own boates like this???

Or is this more a forum for sporty people instead of leisurly 'rich' people.

Cheers,

John
John_gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 12:53   #2

Boat: H28
Welll, I'm not a leisurely rich person, but I do own a truly beautiful yacht... O.K, she'll be thirty this year and recently I had to have the bottom planed and hot-vac ed and rebuilt with vinyl esther, and then the engine packed a sad and had to be replaced. Then I re-wired her and re-newed the plumbing as well, and now the sails are starting to look a little aged, in fact all things considered she's a damned expensive nuisance.
But for all that she's still a lovely old lady which just goes to show that with boats as with everything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 14:09   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha John,
I was in Monaco a couple of times and remember seeing the outrageously beautiful vessels. Like Chrisc above I own a vessel that is not much like those. My goal is getting out on the water and cruising parttime on a retirees budget while keeping a home and a home base. So far I've got the home, home base now just need to get the boat back in the water.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 23:46   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Why?

Those boats sure look nice but imagine trying to take one of them anywhere.
One would need skipper, crew, land based manager and planning permission from every country touched (one could hide a small army on one of them) and from insurance and finance companies.
Not to mention how hard it would be to find a nice anchorage or that every crook withing 100 miles would be watching.
Me, I like a comfortable boat that does not cost much and I don't cry if I get a scratch.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 00:08   #5

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Years ago my boat was anchored at Mansion house Bay, Kauwau Island while I was sitting on the shore eating an icecream with my wife. A huge french Superyacht came into the bay (had to anchor in the main channel it was too big for the bay) and a tender the size of our boat was lowered over the side. A few crew in white suits ferried the owners (a french man and women) to the shore where they proceeded to have the biggest argument I have seen. We just sat there with our $1 icecreams and enjoyed the view of our little trailer sailer. Money certainly didn't look to give them any happiness that day
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 00:20   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Now that's pricless.

I have a super yacht. She is a whole 46ft long, painted a beautiful dark blue. It has it's own super crew of wife and two cats. We go on super outings to some realy stunning places and have super friends come on board and drink super wine with super snackes. We have super entertainment on board and a super bed and really super shower. What more could a man ask for. :-)
W

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 12:23   #7

Certainly. I own a drop dead gorgeous Cape Dory. All of 25 feet long!! All I'd need to have one of those vessels would be a billion or two in the bank.

randy
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 14:12   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I saw the Tatoosh, Montkaj and the Delphine. Do any of you guys own boates like this???
It appears the group opinion is: "Yes we all do." Some are just bit shorter than others. We don't argue about a few feet give or take.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 15:02   #9

Boat: Lotus 10.6
I helped with the purchase of Tatoosh, I have spent a bit of money on Microsoft products
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 15:44   #10
tdw

Boat: Malö 39 Classic
Any of you good folk see the Pamela Stephenson Murder or Mutiny show ? Stupid bloody program, waste of time and effort but omigod the Takapuna (sp ?) is a piece of work. That said, as I much as I can appreciate (read drool) over such a ship the idea of having to have all those people on board is not my cup of tea at all. If it needs more than two people (one at a pinch) to run it then it's too damn big.
tdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:20   #11

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris31415
Those boats sure look nice but imagine trying to take one of them anywhere.
One would need skipper, crew, land based manager and planning permission from every country touched (one could hide a small army on one of them) and from insurance and finance companies.
Not to mention how hard it would be to find a nice anchorage or that every crook withing 100 miles would be watching.
Me, I like a comfortable boat that does not cost much and I don't cry if I get a scratch.
Come on..............
If you had the dosh to waste, you surely have one - wouldn't you?
I know I would, if only I could.............
JOHN
Old 01-12-2006, 14:28   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Dosh to waste...

If I had the "dosh" to waste I'd make sure I could "suggest" that any or all crew could leave and that I would still be able to handle the boat myself.
I could not do that with most of the big boats that I saw in Monaco.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 18:19   #13
tdw

Boat: Malö 39 Classic
Ulysses, stinkboat owned by Kiwi gazzillionaire Graeme Hart was in Sydney last week. Oh my goodness ! Almost big enough to live on.
tdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 18:56   #14

Got given first boat..ufa fox designed "jolly boat" 18 ft of joy ....Sunk it in a southerly buster storm...put hundreds of hours into her. Bought a wrecked Kan Walker designed ferro ...put hundreds of hours into her 30 ft of joy......building a "big boat (38 ft) put hundreds of hours into her and has given me hundreds of hours of joy.....bbeep loads more fun than bank managers, and crew meetings........cheers. Martin
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote