Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2015, 08:30   #1

Boat: Catalina C400 40'
Great Lakes sailor new to forum

My name is Gary Harkins. I joined the forum today and am enjoying cruising through the various topics. I own a 1998 Catalina C400 which I bought new in March of 1998. I've sailed extensively in Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. This summer I intend to circumnavigate Lake Superior. I'm interested in getting some bluewater experience to decide if that is something I might like to pursue. I practice celestial navigation extensively while on the boat, but it is not the same as it would be on a true bluewater passage.

Gary
cygnussailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 08:42   #2

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383
Re: Great Lakes sailor new to forum

Gary -- Welcome to the Lake. I particularly have enjoyed: Isle Royale, Bayfield, WI (Home port) and the Apostle Islands, Houghten Peninsula (outside and inside), Grand Marias, MN, Duluth/Superior. I am told the Canadian Coast is spectacular and plan to visit. Watch for the fetch, as I'm sure you are aware on Michigan and Huron, where it is long and you are downwind the seas get big and short. Though I've seen larger on the ocean, L. Superior is deadly cold in the main, though often swim-able in the anchorages, and so, so, so very clean! -- Rolf
RolfP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 09:04   #3

Gary,

I've sailed on Lake Michigan, and from what I could see, it sure is big enough to provide an adequate "horizon!"

Nice boat, good luck. Thee are many Lake Superior sailors here, so there's archived material available with a search, as well as asking specific questions.

Welcome aboard.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 09:13   #4

Boat: Catalina C400 40'

Thanks for the welcome messages I'm looking forward to making use of this forum.

It is practical to practice celestial on any of the Great Lakes, and it certainly could help if you were to loose all other forms of navigation. I have used it with the GPS turned off to sail to Port Washington, Wisconsin just for practice and it worked perfectly. I used an old mariners trick of intentionally arriving on the Wisconsin shoreline north of my destination by enough that I was sure it was south of me...turned to port, kept the shoreline in sight, end of story! In fact it was so good that I could have sailed directly into Port Washington without using any tricks!

Gary
cygnussailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 13:58   #5

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

Hello everyone, I am relatively new to this forum also. Have some experience, but must confess still pretty green. Bought a nice Laguna swing keel, and look forward to seeing some of the places written about here. So far I am eating this up. I GOT THE BUG BAD!
joel e felt
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great lakes, rum, sail