Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2010, 06:48   #1

Good Morning, Good Evening and Good Night

depends on what time you read this

hi ya'll. my name is Jeff Lane. kinda new (REAL NEW) to boating here, so, be gentle.

lets see....... i live in hannibal missouri with my BEAUTIFUL wife of 18 years & my 2 SPECTACULAR kids, 16 & 11 (going on 16 himself).

originaly i was born in atlanta georgia in '72. moved here in '78 & that's where the "fanstastic voyage of Jeff Lane" stopped.

i've work for BNSF railway since '01 as a conductor/engineer (we don't "steer" the train). went to schoool for automotive mechanics, but the pay sucks & you'll NEVER get ALL the dirt from under your finger nails... and it tastes bad mixed with pizza & beer (depends on how many beers i guess)

so, i don't REALLY know what else ya'll wanna know bout this country fried southern boy... ask i guess

thanks ya'll for readin dis
Jeff "lumpy" Lane
bullitt774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 07:35   #2

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
So, do you own a boat? What's your wish boat? Going cruising sooner or later? Power or wind? You know -- details, but about important things like B-O-A-T stuff.

And, welcome aboard.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 10:03   #3

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Welcome Aboard...

Get kraken on the boat ownership before those youngens get any older...they loose interest fast in Dads hobbies once they get their own steam built up in their boilers.....then you dont get to steer them either.....

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 16:45   #4

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mate. Welcome aboard from down under. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 18:17   #5

Ok. No B-O-A-T (he he) info yet. Didn't know if the adventure we were planning was even POSSIBLE. But now that I know it is not only possible but they've got a friggin NAME for it... "The Great Loop". So, it's ON now! The boat of choice will be a 26 foot (give or take an inch or 2) cuddy cabin with a couple small V-8s or 1 BIG V-8. And a whole host of electronic gizmos & do dads to get me down to mardi gras in march & back (God willing)

So to answer more the question more directly.... No boat yet. BUT been lookin at something big (Titanic-ish)
bullitt774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 23:22   #6

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
That's a whole lot of scenery

That's a whole lot of wonderful scenery you have ahead of you. Of course, where you are, you know how powerful the mighty Mississippi can get in the springtime and how low it can get at some other times, so you'll know about timing that part of the journey. And if you read people's stories about doing the great loop you'll know that the Great Lakes can get downright choppy. Presumably, you don't want to be anywhere near upstate New York in winter, which is when locks get shut down and worked on. And there are a couple of open ocean bits, especially around the Florida panhandle.

But it sure sounds like an interesting, wonderful trip!
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 23:42   #7

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Go for it!
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 15:09   #8

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
Welcome! We are currently cruising the Caribbean on a 37' Tayana, but Steve's dream is to buy a trawler type and do the Great Loop. I am not sure how long we are 'out here' but that will be whenever we are done cruising. After that he plans to plant us in a Land Yacht and do North America. When? Our plans are written in the sand at low tide
Old 30-08-2010, 12:41   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. I've always wanted to do the Loop. Maybe someday I'll still make it. I'd get a boat with diesel power though unless it was small enough to run with outboards.
kind regards,
Old 30-08-2010, 14:27   #10

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
AGLCA?

Have you tried America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association "America's Great Loop Cruising Association"?
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 14:35   #11

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
I'm jealous of the great loop opportunity, but wouldn't be able to withstand the humidity. (I hate the tropics too.)
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote