Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-12-2015, 09:49   #1

Good morning from Bay area!

Bonjour,
We are a family of 5 and we are looking for a liveaboard. We have 3 teenagers (one will be at university in 2016). Well, we hope the cruisers community can help us! All advices for newbies very motivated are welcomed. Thanks!
Manubis

Old 05-12-2015, 21:46   #2

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Re: Good morning from Bay area!

Welcome to the forum...Are you looking to rent, buy a boat?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:06   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Manubis.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:57   #4

Good morning Martin,
We are ready to buy a boat, a power boat to liveaboard.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:58   #5

Good morning GordMay and thank you!
Old 06-12-2015, 11:13   #6

Welcome to our little world.

I wrote this in response to another question like yours. Sorry I don't have the link to it included in the text, but it discusses the difficulty of finding liveaboards in The Bay Area. You could also do a search on BCDC, the governing agency that limits liveaboards to 10% of the marina population. Good luck.

Bay Area Docking

Originally Posted by Howelllee
It’s a tricky game, but one can live aboard sometimes by just keeping an immensely low profile and making close friends with harbor masters, who - in some instances - are able to turn a blind eye.

That post was quite fine but this part is not.

In our marina (Grand in Alameda) "sneak-aboards" are identified immediately by the legal liveaboards and are immediately shown the door.

This is simple human nature: don't abuse what I've worked to get. The liveaboards, as stated, have waited a long time to get, uhm, well, legal status to live on their boats. They do NOT appreciate people who break the rules and will identify them immediately. They always KNOW who's coming & going, heck, they live there.

And their next recourse, if the harbormaster turns a blind-eye, is to go to BCDC, who are among the most bureaucratic bunch of idiots on the planet. These are the guys who wanted to call boats "floating refuse" some years ago. They are among the leaders in making the Bay Area governments turn their backs on the precious resource that is our waterfront. Wanna know how I REALLY feel about them?

And, if you do find a willing harbormaster, you'd be outing yourself if you told anyone, so no one is gonna do that here. And legal liveaboards will "out" a willing harbormaster to, guess who?, the BCDC.

May not be that way up in The Delta, but the Bay Area is pretty tight on this stuff.

I know, it stinks, and I agree with the rest of H's post, but it's a reality.

I have a 34 foot boat that I love. If I had a 36 footer, I could have been on the list to liveaboard since I've been in the same marina for 17 years. 36 is the minimum for our marina.

Plus, the R&Rs of the contract one signs for monthly slips states clearly & spells out how many nights one can stay on their boat if they do take a monthly slip.

Transient slip fees are higher than monthly. Liveaboard slips are more than monthly non-liveaboard slips. Do the math.

There's nowhere to anchor out in the Estuary. There were a few derelicts who were moved out of Clipper Cove a few years ago but they have disappeared. For the few days that the Alameda police boat and Oakland police boats are allowed to go out (budget cuts, ya know - "we" bought the boats with Homeland Security $$s, but can't afford the f-ing fuel, I’ve talked to the crew on the Alameda boat, they only get one day a week to keep their "drivers licenses" current!!!) they do/will harass anyone anchored there.

I've been anchoring all over The Bay for the past 35 years. There are only two tenable anchorages: Clipper Cove now limited and Richardson Bay, lousy and dangerous in the winter. Aquatic Park is a National Park, free but limited, no services, nowhere to land a dinghy safely.

There's a Safeway at Gashouse Cove, but no transient slips easy to use, maybe the gas dock would let you stay for a while.

The closest market to a marina is Loch Lomand. Their docks have those silly rings instead of cleats!!! But its the only specific marina I've been in that is within reasonable walking distance to a "normal" supermarket. Even in The Delta.

Petaluma is a LOOONG way up the river and you have to work way in advance to get the bridge up. Nice place, I was there just last weekend, but... 2 1/2 hours from the River Entrance but another two hours to even get there from The Brothers. It's a loong trip. Plus it's $24 a night.

Marinas, most of them, don't have shopping nearby.

sailorchic has made it work. She knows her stuff and is willing to share her experiences. Listen to whatever she says. Don't reinvent the wheel.

Whoever told you about the drought - don't listen to anything more they tell you. Utter rubbish.

Mark's right about Vallejo, but the harbor's very very empty, too, so some "rules" might get broken. But those transients might simply be willing to pay full price for slips. What's your budget? Sometimes they can take their boats out for a few days and come back and not be considered true liveaboards, many of who never take their boats anywhere. Not to start any argument about the definition of liveaboards - please, let's not go there, this is not the subject of this discussion.

I'm just providing you with the realities I have seen.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:21   #7

There's also this from a search on SF liveaboards:

San Fran live aboard marinas?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:42   #8

Good morning and thank you Stu!
Old 23-12-2015, 15:59   #9

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large

This is the best thread I could find to ask about refilling water on the hook in the bay.

Where do you go to top off water tanks in the bay while on the hook oh and garbage too, please?

Thinking of anchoring out over the holiday and one tank is out of commission, so will want to refill every few days. Considering the following anchorages and will choose a few based on weather: mooring @ ayala cove, Richardson bay, Aquatic park, Horseshoe Cove and Clipper Cove each pending weather. Does AC have a water spout at their day use docks? Shower too?
Aquatic: I think I need to go to gashouse, right?
Richardson's: clipper fuel dock?
CC: almar pump out dock?
Any fees or hours I should be aware of?

Thanks SF bay veteran anchorouts!

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: