Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2015, 05:16   #1

Good morning

Good morning,

I just found this website. I am in South East Florida and have been wanting to get into sailing for a long time.
Few years ago I took the asa101 but i dont think i could remember much to be honest.

I am looking for advises on how to get started without spending a fortune either in those classes and so on.

I am thinking about buying a small used sail boat like Compac 16 (saw one on craigslist this morning)
but i dont know yet anything . Used to rent hobbies cat every summer when i was younger but i am sure it is quite different.

Anyway, any advises would be welcomed

Have a good day

Julia
julia2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 06:15   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Good morning

Welcome aboard, Julia! Good luck with your plan to get out on the water.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 17:25   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Welcome Julia,
You're on the right track, start small and uncomplicated. I'd offer to take you for a sail but you're a bit too far away
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 20:48   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Julia and Welcome Aboard CF!

Since you are new to this forum, let me mention a few things you might miss but that could help you more enjoy your time here:

There are also some "social groups" within the forum that are more focused on special interests.
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - All Groups

Mermaids Group (206 members)
It is for women sailors and boat owners. It has 206 members. Cruisers & Sailing Forums - ~~Mermaids Group~~

WIKI
Take a look at the Cruising WIKI that is found via the tab up on the top menu bar of the forum. It has a LOT of information in it you might find fun, interesting, or helpful.

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is VERY different from using the regular forum search box or field (which I never use because of poor search results). Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.

Note: The ordinary "search" field on this forum has yielded less helpful results for me when I perform searches. That is why I prefer and suggest the use of the alternative "Google Custom Search" instead. I see a very clear difference and find the Google Custom Search much easier for scanning (with my eyes) threads for relevant comments and info. YMMV
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 14:30   #5

Thank you for the answers

This forum seems very friendly and helpful , I really appreciate !
julia2015 is offline   Reply With Quote