Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2016, 15:56   #1

Boat: Max Cruise Marine, Twin Hybrid Electric, 44SC
Good day from Guam

Hello all. A short introduction. My name is Paul. I have been a long time lurker here on CF and do really appreciate the information and insight collected here. My wife and I are preparing to retire out of the Navy this year and are currently stationed in Guam. She is the Captain and I am the dependent house husband. We are in the process of deciding where we will be relocating to next and will be looking into picking up a catamaran in the next year or so with the ultimate plans to gradually make it around the world. Well, that is my dream at least. I am finding the topic to be tenuous right now. I'm the one that grew up on boats since I was a little grom in So. Cal. She was an Island girl and is more a land based lady. I hope to work it out and be active on the forums.
P-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 15:59   #2

Re: Good day from Guam

Welcome to Sailnet. And Thank you for your service! I hope it all works out for you on a boat one day.
Fair Winds!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 11:59   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Welcome to Sailnet. And Thank you for your service! I hope it all works out for you on a boat one day.
Fair Winds!
Ahhhhhh.....welcome to Cruisersforum too!
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 14:42   #4

Quote:
Fair Winds!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Ahhhhhh.....welcome to Cruisersforum too!
Thank you both for the welcome.
Old 22-03-2016, 15:06   #5

Welcome to CF.
another veteran here, Please pass along my Thanks to your wife for her service bro, and you for your's as well. The trials and tribulations our wive's and husbands go through are no less than those on active duty, your sacrifice is noted by another veteran. I wish you many good days ahead on your boat!
Fair Winds!
Old 22-03-2016, 17:01   #6

Apology's for first post, misread.
Old 22-03-2016, 17:49   #7

Boat: William Garden Ketch

We spent a couple of years on Guam. You might want to head over to the Marianas Yacht Club and introduce yourself. Just across the bay from Polaris Point. They are there Friday evenings and Sundays. Might get some time to mess about in boats. By the wY why a cat?
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 22:16   #8

Quote:
Welcome to CF.
another veteran here, Please pass along my Thanks to your wife for her service bro, and you for your's as well. The trials and tribulations our wive's and husbands go through are no less than those on active duty, your sacrifice is noted by another veteran. I wish you many good days ahead on your boat!
Fair Winds!
I will pass that along Stinkybob. The role of a dependent spouse poses particular challenges indeed and many thanks for recognizing this. Please accept my heartfelt thanks for your service as well.
Old 22-03-2016, 22:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SariTimur View Post
We spent a couple of years on Guam. You might want to head over to the Marianas Yacht Club and introduce yourself. Just across the bay from Polaris Point. They are there Friday evenings and Sundays. Might get some time to mess about in boats. By the wY why a cat?
Thanks for the heads up SariTimur. We have done the introductions at the yacht club and my wife is taking sailing lessons there. I know enough to not try and teach her myself, I am her husband after all and I value our marriage. We have a little Topper Topaz Race X to practice what she has learned form her latest lessons.

The reason for the cat is I have always been a mono hull sailor and would love to have one but, my wife needs a little more room than a mono affords. If the proverbial hits the fan there is a whole other hull to call your own till the storm passes. That, and the heeling over long distances become uncomfortable for my wife and her back and there is something to be said for really stable platforms at anchorages.
Old 23-03-2016, 08:00   #10

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

I bought a boat in Guam. With out a working engine. Not a good idea, since the public marina is inside a skinny channel blasted out of the reef. And the Navy Marina is generally up wind from the harbor.

I liked it there though. Wish I could have stayed. Sold the boat to someone who did, who planned to put in a new engine and sail her to the Philippines .

Good luck in your search for boat and home port.
Old 23-03-2016, 14:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
I bought a boat in Guam. With out a working engine. Not a good idea, since the public marina is inside a skinny channel blasted out of the reef. And the Navy Marina is generally up wind from the harbor.

I liked it there though. Wish I could have stayed. Sold the boat to someone who did, who planned to put in a new engine and sail her to the Philippines .

Good luck in your search for boat and home port.
Yep, tbodine, it is tough owning a boat in Guam. We love it here as well and would prefer to stay. Alas, the job market here for my wife's skill set is slim to none at the moment. We will just consider the next place a PCS for a couple of years till we get things ironed out for the longer term.

Thanks for the well wishes.
Old 21-04-2016, 21:13   #12

Boat: Isand Packet 38

Hafa Adai!

I spent 7 years in Guam and my husband was there for 10. We loved it there but had to move for the same reason. Also, our livers hated us Like you I am a long time looker and soak in all that I can. My husband and I have the same goal but on a monohull, and on the East Coast. We hope to sail to Guam one day. Good luck and welcome!
If you like fishing charter on Lucky Strike before you leave. (Hagatna Marina) I can't remeber the captains name but he has been doing it for years and knows the waters around Guam like the back of his hand. We never came home empty handed.

CHEERS!
SV Che'lu
Sails N Tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 02:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sails N Tales View Post
Hafa Adai!

I spent 7 years in Guam and my husband was there for 10. We loved it there but had to move for the same reason. Also, our livers hated us Like you I am a long time looker and soak in all that I can. My husband and I have the same goal but on a monohull, and on the East Coast. We hope to sail to Guam one day. Good luck and welcome!
If you like fishing charter on Lucky Strike before you leave. (Hagatna Marina) I can't remeber the captains name but he has been doing it for years and knows the waters around Guam like the back of his hand. We never came home empty handed.

CHEERS!
SV Che'lu
Thank you SV Che'lu!
It is a great place. Perhaps we will meet in the future and beat each others livers up...
Fair winds and following seas.

Tags
Guam