Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 10:57   #1

Boat: Aspen PC C120 43 feet
Good cruising power cat?

We recently bought a condo on Fort Lauderdale to use when we need a break from the snow and cold in Canada. We are interested in doing some cruising around Florida and the Bahamas. We are looking for a power catamaran that is comfortable for 2 couples plus a few children for at least a week at a time. We have looked at PDQ 34's and Glacier Bay 3480 in detail plus a few others. Any inputs would be appreciated!
Oldnewcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Good cruising power cat?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Oldnewcruiser.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:48   #3

I joined the forum in 2014 when we almost bought a used GB3480 power cat. That purchase was envisaged jointly with a partner who had to back out at the last moment due to medical issues. Irrespective, I had caught the bug, kept the fires burning and continued researching boats that may be appropriate. At the Seattle Boat Show this week I signed for a production slot on a new Aspen C120 for delivery in Spring 2019. This boat is the ideal size for our planned usage of extended cruises with friends. All reports indicate that this 42.5 foot boat is very fuel efficient; very stable and of very high quality. I will not be fully committed until the PO is signed and the initial downpayment is due in ~30 days. I would thus appreciate any inputs from more experienced boaters.

I am a very fit and active 73 year old who has limited recent boating experience. I spent 3 summers with the Canadian Navy while going to university and am thus a fully qualified naval officer; but that was >50years ago. My recent pleasure boating experience is limited to being an active passenger on friends' boats and a season with Sailtime on a Cruisers 360 for which all the training (safety, boat handling, radio, etc.) had to be completed by certified professionals. Usage included ~ a dozen days on Lake Ontario and a cruise up the Trent-Severin canal up to Lake Simcoe. My future boating plans can be summarized as follows:
-- One season cruising the Pacific Northwest
-- Boat will then be trucked from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale
-- Two season around Florida & the Caribbean
-- All or part of the Great Loop (our main home is in Toronto)
-- Put the boat up for sale after 4-5 years.

My wife thinks that I am a crazy old man to undertake something like this at this stage of our lives (we have been married 50 years); but she will not stand in my way. Conversely, I believe that it is my last window of opportunity (been on my bucket list for >15 years).

I would appreciate considered opinions on an old guy taking on such a new adventure from anyone out there willing to share.

Klaus
Old 03-02-2018, 13:48   #4

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnewcruiser View Post
At the Seattle Boat Show this week I signed for a production slot on a new Aspen C120 for delivery in Spring 2019.
Congratulations! a wonderful yacht from a company with a great reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnewcruiser View Post
My wife thinks that I am a crazy old man to undertake something like this at this stage of our lives (we have been married 50 years); but she will not stand in my way. Conversely, I believe that it is my last window of opportunity (been on my bucket list for >15 years).
It's ok that she thinks you are crazy, as long as she is willing to take a leap of faith and you make this adventure as a partnership. You will have high highs, but also significant challenges. So it's important you help her "catch the bug" otherwise then things go south, it will really stress your relationship.

Even new boats have challenges and take a while to sort out bugs and for you to learn the tricks and maintenance (boats are not cars, so expect breakage and challenges with repairs). So depending on her tolerance for that, you may want to bring a buddy for a couple week shakedown cruise so things are more "ready to go" when she joins you the first time. If she is ok with maintenance issues and getting stuck, that's great, bring her along the first time. It's important that you be intentional to help her have confidence in the vessel and your capabilities. A couple that had sailed with me 1-2x/year for over 10 years bought their own boat. When I joined them for a day sail, the wife was very nervous and kept pestering her husband. When asked if everything was ok, she said: "I trust that you know how to sail, but not him". Happy wife, happy life.

I'm very excited for you! Way to go!
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 14:13   #5

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Congratulations ! Great adventure ahead of you. My wife and I did the Great Loop and enjoyed it immensely . If there are grandchildren be sure to figure out a way to include them in parts of your adventure or at least schedule visits. Most grandmothers that I know get a little twitchy if the don't get their grandchild fix every now and then.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:04   #6

Thanks for the inputs! We are all on the same wavelength.

I am working hard with help from my brother-in-law to convince my wife to really give it a try! She appears to be coming around. Have arranged for her to take a ride on an Aspen 120 with Larry Graf (very personable guy who exudes and imbues confidence) when she gets back out here at the end of the month. She will also make all the decor choices so she will have a stake in it.

We are very family oriented; including grandchildren fixes (we have 5). They are all coming out to Whistler in March to ski with Opa. The boat is very comfortable for up to 7 and thus ideal to include one of our children and their offspring on short cruises. It can easily handle all 11 of us on day trips or cruises with one family staying at cabins ashore. Hope to do a lot of that during the summer 2019 when they are off school.

My brother-in-law and two family friends are very experienced boaters. One of them will spent the first few weeks with me on the C120; and all of them will participate at some stage both during the first year and thereafter.

Thanks again!
Old 12-02-2018, 17:27   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Klaus!

I enjoyed reading your posts up above.
Sounds to me like you are having a "mid life crisis" and at 73 that is a good sign (of many more years to come, looking at it positively).

I like your plans.

Since you were a naval officer, you know the captain deserves respect, but admirals outrank captains. So get the admiral on board.

I think the Power cat was a good idea.

Bon Voyage on the Forum and on the Water!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising