Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2007, 09:53   #1

Boat: 30' Hunter
Goin from power to sail

Hi all, I'm new here. Power boated last 25 years on Georgian Bay and Trent severn water way in Canada. This will be my last year for power and I'm convertin to sail. Went sailin at christmas on a friends boat in Sint Marratan and got hooked. I've actually convinced my wife to sell almost everything go sailin and change our lifestyle. (in a couple of years) I'm actually gonna sell my harley and CC offshore after this summer and see what kind of a sail boat I can get with the cash(about 40k). Were gonna sell the house and keep the cottage for a rental property. We have planned 1 last trip from Peterbourough to Manitoulin Island on Georgian Bay's north shore this summer. I have us signed up for sailin lessons and I'm totally gung ho.

I need to ask tones of questions of experienced sailors to make the right decision on what 2 buy for a first sail boat. I need something that can b like my cottage on the water. I'm going to rent out the cottage for the winter and a few months in the summer and save the income for the purchase of a larger sailboat down the road. I figure I can gain experience on something smaller for a few years before sailin for the caribbean. Is 30feet too much to handle for a first boat? I've been checking the classifieds and seem to be lots of C&C sailboats for sail r these mass produced or what? Lots mor questions to come.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	1031  
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:42   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
There are really only a few hard fast rules with sail boats:

1. They have to be big enough to hold you, the crew, and all your stuff.

2. They have to fit in the budget as well as the slip.

3. It's really nice if it's not the absolute ugliest boat any place you go.

After that it gets into a lot of details that are generally best left to the point where you get a little more experience on some boats. 30 feet is not too big for a first boat but I know a lot of folks sailing 25's to 28's on the Great Lakes.

Given your budget you are probably looking at used boat. In the age you'll be looking at the brand is less of an issue than the absolute condition of the boat. As you will be just starting I would pick a basic keel boat you can afford to start with and put some miles on it. The good news is the basics of sailing and power boating all apply. That experience is a great beginning and some of the things many people fail to learn early.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:49   #3

Boat: 1993 Amel Super Maramu 53'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais
There are really only a few hard fast rules with sail boats:

1. They have to be big enough to hold you, the crew, and all your stuff.

2. They have to fit in the budget as well as the slip.

3. It's really nice if it's not the absolute ugliest boat any place you go.
Think of it more like cave camping if you go too small! And my vote goes for starting with number 3... that's how I picked the Admiral!

Mark
Old 03-04-2007, 12:33   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
In the day, C&C were the premiere, and largest, sailboat builders in Canada - hence the plethora of C&C’s on the market. They built high quality, cruiser/racers.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:37   #5

Pay attention to quality...if you are going to live aboard, an Island Packet 31 would be a good boat to look at (if you can find one for around $40k, which I'm not sure about). Cheap boats can be miserable things.

GCB
Gulfcoastbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 13:57   #6
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe
This will be my last year for power and I'm convertin to sail.
Well, that's just hmmmmm? WRONG!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 14:53   #7

Send a message via MSN to cruisincanucks Send a message via Yahoo to cruisincanucks Send a message via Skype™ to cruisincanucks
If you are going from Power to sail I would suggest that you decide on either comfort or speed. Most sailors in tropical areas will tell you that comfort works best for them. For your price range I would look at a Morgan 41 for comfort and stability yet they are a bit slow. Consider putting an ad in a few mags looking for a fully outfitted cruiser for the 40,000 mark. A friend of ours found the perfect boat for him at the 25 mark and has been sailing for 5 years with it non stop in Mexican waters. Lots to consider..try crewing for some folks on their boat in area where the crusiers hang out. That will either give you more answers or more questions but that is all good as well. Good luck as we operate both power and sail and are true transvesselites.
cruisincanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 15:04   #8

Transvesselites, hah! I'd not heard that before.

GCB
Old 03-04-2007, 16:03   #9

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
So I'm a transvesselite? That's it - I'm selling the powerboat - it's bad enough with all my other physcotic tendencies - don't need one more!

BTW - Welcome Abord Joe - you'll have lots of fun looking for the boat that's right for you.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:32   #10

Boat: 30' Hunter
Thanks for all the great replies. By this time next year we'll be itchin to cruise Georgian Bay. Found out about marina fees to keep a boat in Penetanguishene yesterday, they're cheaper than taxes on my cottage. I have a lot of readin to do on this site.

Cheers
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:37   #11

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Welcome aboard BigJoe

Thank goodness we just sold the runabout. We wouldn't want to be associated with "Transvesselites". The wife does thinks it odd to see power boaters wearing fowl weather gear.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:16   #12

Does this require a surgical addadocktome?

GCB
Old 04-04-2007, 13:16   #13

Boat: 1993 Amel Super Maramu 53'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoastbreeze
Does this require a surgical addadocktome?

GCB
Only if you can "slip" it by the insurance!

Mark
Old 06-04-2007, 14:48   #14

Boat: NONE yet
Found a boat for you take a look at eBay Motors: Hunter Legend 33.5 Sailboat - 1990 33 ft (item 320099731250 end time Apr-09-07 14:37:23 PDT)
40K buy it now, I know you said at the end of the summer but looks like a great deal to me.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 20:01   #15

Well BigJoe - you're finally leaving the dark side - congratulations ! Imagine how much more beer all that money you used to waste on gas will buy. As far as boats to look at go...

If you are going to be cruising Georgian Bay, you want something that doesn't have too much draft (i.e.: has a keel that isn't too deep), and that isn't a flat-out racing machine. I would suggest you go comfort rather than speed for your first boat.

There are a lot of boats in really bad condition for sale right now in Ontario. You need to be careful that you don't get one that has extensive deck delamination, as it costs a lot of money to fix. Also be careful of cored hulls - basically these are hulls that have a layer of insulating material, usually balsa wood, between two layers of fibreglass. A lot of them are wet inside, and rotting. This makes them very flimsy. It is more expensive to fix them than it is to buy them.

That said - there are also some good boats out there. Check out the Aloha 28, Bayfield 29, any Mirage that is within your budget, Tanzers, C&C's, CS's, Ontario 31, Paceships, Albergs.

A really great boat for you would be a Hughes 31SE. You should be able to get a decent one for 30K or under.

Personally, I would avoid Hunters, MacGregors, Irwins, Seidelmanns, and Jeanneau's. NO OFFENSE MEANT TO ANY OWNERS OF THESE BOATS< THIS IS MERELY MY OPINION. ! There are thousands of these boats out there, but the build quality is not at the same level as the boats I have mentioned, and you also want to think about resale. An Aloha or Mirage holds its value far better than the others.

Make sure that you get a GOOD surveyor, and be really careful about the brokers in Ontario. Most of them got fired from Used Car Lots for bad ethics. If you PM me I can send you the name of a decent broker and excellent surveyor.
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote