Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-11-2015, 15:01   #1

Boat: Herreshoff Prudence design #71
Glander Cay or Herresholf Prudence

Hello to all on this forum. I've been stalking this site for years now, but have never joined until today. Thought I would wait until I actually bought a boat of my own. So let me tell you'll what happened. I've been honing my sailing skills navigating the wide world of the internet and tooling around on my fishing kayak. (ok nothing what so ever to do with sailing)... I've done countless hours of research and finally decided on a few boats that I think would suit my needs. I narrowed it down to either a Wauquiez 38 hood design or a 38 Shannon, both boats are top the line built 80's cruisers. The problem was I could never find a hood that was original enough and the previous owner had not done something to the interior. The Shannon's I fell in love with were typically all Ketches and never having sailed a ketch I really was not sure about them. To top it all off I'm not an experienced sailor and both of those are serious boats. I've done many day sails over the years with my best friend and his family. I'm confident enough to do solo sailing in the bay on a 26' sloop rigged boat, but I just didn't know enough about the dynamics of truly sailing. After finally telling myself I really needed a smaller boat for a few years to practice on, learn how to rebuild diesels, learn the communication equipment, and how to repair or trouble shoot anything that comes my way.

This is where the title for this post comes in.. I recently became the proud owner of a 1970 23' Glander Cay. The boat is in decent condition and I have already begun tackling the obvious issues. The rudder was all messed up. Rotted wood here and there. Rigging ECT. Oh and the 1GM will not go over 1k , yes I have a gem of a boat. To be honest I think I have narrowed down the diesel issue, to either the exhaust mixing elbow or the injector, would have known by now but dropped my wrenches in the bilge .. Those things are deep, WOW. The rudder cheeks are being remade along with a new custom tiller, by Craven boat building in Kemah Tx. The boat has really nice crisp white sails and wooden hatches everywhere, so I called up Deb over at TNT marine to make some hatch covers and sail covers. I've been cleaning it for days along with minor other work. I'm making a repair list as I go. The bow is slightly rotted and the top of the transom is too. The rotted areas are a concern but not a show stopper, I know how to fix it properly.

Oh, why I bought this boat???? Well lets just say it was love at first sight. She might be short and fat but she's all mine.
If anyone knows much about these boats chime in and say hi.

Anyway nice to meet all of you.

Old 19-11-2015, 20:45   #2

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Glander Cay or Herresholf Prudence

From one 'just registered' to another: welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by t140frank View Post
I narrowed it down to either a Wauquiez 38 hood design or a 38 Shannon,
-
I recently became the proud owner of a 1970 23' Glander Cay.
Congrats on your new boat!

I'm completely in love with a Hood 38 that's right behind me ...
Maybe, one day ...
But as you posted as well, it's a lot of boat and my lil one is more than enough for me to handle and maintain for now.

I had to google the 23' Glander Cay to be honest, but she's a beauty!

Old 20-11-2015, 06:33   #3

I know the Wauquiez are really things of beauty . I'll have one, One day... I tried posting a pic of my little boat but not sure how to yet . All the Glander Cay Herresholf boats are a little different from each other. Mine is really an odd ball.
Old 20-01-2016, 12:05   #4

I've owned a Glander Cay 23 about 5 years ago. Bought her near Sarasota and sailed her to Miami stopping a few times throughout the keys for months of stays. I bought her on a whim (price was right) and sailed almost every weekend from January until July when I sold her in Miami. I enjoyed mostly single handed sailing and I enjoyed 90 percent of it ( pretty good I think). She does not sail upwind do to shallow full keel. She probably won't motor into more than a 15 kt wind. If you need to go directly up wind for more than a few miles, just anchor and wait it out. Other then then staying away from headwinds and slightly strong currents (3 kts) she is real fun heavy stable boat. Any ?'s ... I can try to help. Good luck
Old 23-01-2016, 13:52   #5

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Welcome.... Congrats on your new boat!

http://curioussailor.blogspot.com/
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 15:18   #6

Thanks for the reply, I still have not been sailing on my Cay yet. I have been refitting the boat since November. I knew there were issues when I purchased the boat, the previous owner either didn't have the know how or the funds to repair or maintain the boat properly. Luckily I caught most of the serious damage soon enough to save the boat, another couple of years and it would have been past the point of no return.

Too date I've had teak and holly soles installed, new teak drop board, new teak combing with teak winch pads as supports for the combing, new pin rails made, new white oak rudder cheeks and custom teak tiller handle made. I've removed and rebuilt the motor, (its in the shop for timing issues), I've painted the bilge. I've striped and varnished the boom, and bulwark caps.
I'm currently having the deck fixed all over, lots of rot...... Then I'm having teak decks installed and painting her sea foam green.
Old 23-04-2016, 06:04   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Welcome! Starting small was a wise decision. Move up when you have mastered the basics. Above all have fun.
Old 24-04-2016, 14:45   #8

Boat: Scout 30

For a newbie you sure have good taste! This is a proper little boat. How about some pics?
Old 21-07-2016, 14:43   #9

Boat: Glander Tavana 33'

Time for an upgrade to my 1987 33' Glander. LOVE LOVE LOVE

Tags
enc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: