Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 18:43   #1

Giving Up on the Internet, Jumping In!

As someone very new to sailing that wants to stretch their dollar as thin as possible I've been looking for boat owners that are looking for amateur crew.

I've reached a point, after searching for and exchanging several emails with prospective candidates only to be dropped from the dialogue (on sites like crewbay and findacrew), that I simply give up! I've also recently discovered the massive amount of posts from what appear to be ladies just like me - looking for a great adventure on a low budget. I cannot expect to stand out or prove my abilities in the sea of inexperienced competition on these websites. The internet obviously isn't the place for me to find what I'm looking for.

That being said, I've decided to make the leap and buy a ticket to Panama and on to Bocas del Toro, where I hope to live inexpensively until I can meet a real, live crew member in person. Although this may seem hasty and even more dangerous (as I am a young woman), I don't see any other way to get onto the sailing scene without paying for lessons and getting certified.

So, for all of you amateurs who have found boats over the internet (that weren't sugar daddies), congratulations! But I'm going to put myself in the center of it all hoping that someone trustworthy is heading through the canal or back through the Carib at the same time as me. If you really are out there, I hope to meet you in the marinas. And if you're not out there yet but will be in the area at the end of June, please let me know.

So here is my last desperate internet post.
Location, location, location!

Kelsey out!
otaheite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 16:09   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Giving Up on the Internet, Jumping In!

Welcome to the forum. Yes...there are a lot of "sugar daddies" as you put it. That said, you would only be able to find a competent crew position by having something to offer. No...I don't mean anything lewd. I mean, you have to make some type of investment yourself in the way of knowing how to sail a little. Knowing how to navigate a little. Boat owners have invested thousands upon thousands of $$$ on their dreams. It's a little naive to think that it is just ride on a boat.
Amateur crew is actually crew that has sailed maybe half a dozen times and learned how to tie a few knots. Some one who is reliable and shows up on time and some one who has thick skin when a captain barks out a few...requests.
Another way to approach it is to buy a 10ft. dinghy and learn to sail on your own. I have met many woman that started that way. It's up to you. You have to be willing to put something on the table.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 16:36   #3

What CelestialSailor above kindly pointed out, and I'll add just a couple of other quick thoughts:

1) Being a good cook is often a nice perk to a Capt/crew if that's a talent of yours.

2) Knowing CPR and basic first-aid is another idea which you can easily learn before you go if you don't already have that skill.

Lastly, you don't really share any interests besides wanting to "travel cheaply" - umm, that's pretty much everyone I know...
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 11:45   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Did you find em?
Old 30-08-2014, 04:43   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kelsey.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 04:57   #6

Boat: Bristol 35

Kelsey, Perhaps the money you'd spend on a place ticket would be more wisely spent on training. As someone just starting out and schedule to take my first class and looking to purchase a boat I can't imagine a boat owner or captain taking on a completely inexperienced "crew" person just so said person can travel cheaply. As mentioned above boats are not cheap- even the cheap ones- and I know once I get my boat anyone coming on board will be expected to at least know knots, cooking and how to do what is asked of them. I am thinking you're still fairly young and idealistic which is sweet but time to take a look at what YOU can offer and not what others can offer you.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 12:36   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

While in the Sea of Cortez last year, I had many young couples and single Males and Females ask for a "ride" on my boat, when I announced I was going up into the sea. Some would lie about their experience. I would always ask "when passing another boat or ship, head on, what side do you pass them on". All and I mean all would say left or right. Never port of starboard.
Most would tell me the advantage of having them onboard. That they could keep a look out at night while I slept. I asked..."What would you be looking out for"? They would scrunch up their faces trying to figure out the answer to their prior statement.
At least 50% had bicycles and no clue what would happen to the bikes in all that salt water.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 14:09   #8

What they said.

Plus, a bikini pic never hurts, either.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet

« Hi All | Hello All »