Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2013, 13:14   #1

Boat: Pearson Invicta 38"
Getting Ready to Liveaboard

My husband (Northeastern) and I are getting ready to take a 3 year break and sail our boat, a Pearson Invicta, down the ICW and over to the Carribean to see where the wind brings us.
My husband will spend the next year refitting Scout to make her more liveaboard friendly for 2 (+ 1-2 little dogs). My job is to get the recipes ready, working out the details of the electronics, figuring out how to bring 2 dogs in and out of countries in an affordable manor.
I met my husband 3 years ago and have been reintroduced to sailing. I am back in love with being on the water. We have sailed year round on Long Island Sound when all other boats were wrapped for the winter but have enjoyed every minute of it. Now our hopes are do get rid of our winter clothing and sail in shorts and t-shirts. We were married on our boat last summer in Block Island and made friends with people in the mooring field who ended up being are only witnesses to the ceremony. I love the chance to meet and get to know new people wherever we end up.

I will probably be asking a whole lot of questions regarding electronics and animals, get ready, the next year will go very quickly.
tflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 14:24   #2

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
Re: Getting Ready to Liveaboard

Ask away and welcome. Love your plan!
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 15:29   #3

Boat: PT-11

A lovely plan. You may never go back.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 16:51   #4

That is my hope, to make it work for the next 20+years, need to be creative and decide what we can do with and without! It is also very uplifting to give away belongings and downsizing as much as possible
Old 21-05-2013, 17:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tflana View Post
That is my hope, to make it work for the next 20+years, need to be creative and decide what we can do with and without! It is also very uplifting to give away belongings and downsizing as much as possible
Agree! We are in that stage as well. We decide to do a dry run (pardon the pun) in a 24' camper for the winter in Texas and had a blast. When we came back to all our stuff in storage (after 9 months) we had forgotten most of it, looked at each other and said "all I see are $ signs for the kitty."

Moving sales every weekend, CL and eBay. Can't wait to be rid of all this "stuff" that we were happily without.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 17:29   #6

welcome!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 18:01   #7

Boat: C&C Newport 41

i have 1 bit of GREAT advice...

start practicing single pan cooking. when i only cooked at home i found i used like 348957438573895 pots and pans. once i start cooking on board...

well...

gl.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 18:07   #8

We are great fans of one pan cooking, and have been working on recipes from canned items. My husband was a bachelor for many years and has some amazing recipes that I truly enjoy. Nothing is better than using the left over items in the cooler at the end of a week cruise to create a dinner we could not get as good in a restaurant.
Old 21-05-2013, 18:51   #9
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tflana View Post
My husband (Northeastern) and I are getting ready to take a 3 year break and sail our boat, a Pearson Invicta, down the ICW and over to the Carribean to see where the wind brings us.
My husband will spend the next year refitting Scout to make her more liveaboard friendly for 2 (+ 1-2 little dogs). My job is to get the recipes ready, working out the details of the electronics, figuring out how to bring 2 dogs in and out of countries in an affordable manor.
I met my husband 3 years ago and have been reintroduced to sailing. I am back in love with being on the water. We have sailed year round on Long Island Sound when all other boats were wrapped for the winter but have enjoyed every minute of it. Now our hopes are do get rid of our winter clothing and sail in shorts and t-shirts. We were married on our boat last summer in Block Island and made friends with people in the mooring field who ended up being are only witnesses to the ceremony. I love the chance to meet and get to know new people wherever we end up.

I will probably be asking a whole lot of questions regarding electronics and animals, get ready, the next year will go very quickly.

It all sounds wonderful! I'm very happy for your both and think you have an excellent plan -- to let the wind participate in your planning. It will win anyway.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 21:08   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

welcome to the forum!
Old 21-05-2013, 22:03   #11

What a great thread I also am preparing to make the jump to living aboard! I live in the Keys, but I am up in Chicago cleaning out and selling my old childhood home. I hope to be back down by the end of the year. Well it seems to be a rising trend... Best of luck to you and yours!
Salt Life Yamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 21:58   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:18   #13

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

When Lori and I started preparing for our voyage, we found there really wasn't much written about how to prepare for cruising... Oh yes there are plenty of books on what to buy as far as rigging and equipment, but not a lot on things like banking, mail and cooking.

The star of our trip was the pressure cooker, which kept the heat down in the cabin and reduced cooking times by 75% or more. Many Americans avoid pressure cookers like the plague, but they are great! Lori found several good cookbooks for pressure cooking and cooked just about every meal with it, including things like meatloaf.

Make sure you have a good on-line banking site and check it frequently. We used ATM's everywhere and never had a problem, but in Mexico and Central America there were numerous reports of cruisers finding illegal transactions on there accounts. We avoided this by always using Bank ATMs not free standing machines on the side of the road or in business other than banks.

Remember credit card companies tend to shut off your cards when they see multiple countries in a short period of time. To avoid this we sent an email to our credit card companies every 90 days informing them that we were traveling and the general area we were in. Sometimes it didn't work and they shut the card off for suspicious activity, so always carry another card form a different company as a back up. Also remember that many credit card companies, including American Express charge foreign transaction fee up to 3%. We found Capital One and Navy Federal Credit Union did not charge these fees.

For mail we used St Brendan's Isle Mail Services, which is wonderful. Some cruisers used friends or family, but then you are at their mercy as far as timeliness and contact. St Brendan's is only as far away as an internet connection. You can read your mail on line or have it forwarded with in 24 hours or receipt.

Another great resource we found was looking at other cruisers BLOGs or web sites. There is a lot of information on the internet.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:57   #14

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Welcome aboard! On the cooking front I would suggest visiting your local library and check out some of the many cooking aboard cookbooks then buy your favorites as references. I'm doing that now in fact. I use an iPad to keep recipes we enjoy stored and organized.

Pressure cookers have come a long way from the exploding nightmares of the 50s. I was leery for a long time hearing stories. I have been using this set:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0018N...sr=8-2&pi=SL75

They have quite a few safety valves in place and I've had no issues so far.

I have removable handle pots but these two have covered 95% of what I do. The short handles help on the storage front.

On the dog front you might want to start now on them using some sort of fake grass mat for potty routines. There are many out there if you google indoor dog potty.

The search function here should give a lot of ideas too.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:04   #15

Tom and Sailcruiser,
Thanks for all of your great info, it has already been downloaded and saved in my reference file. As for the pressure cooker, we have one but I do need to work on my skills and times for cooking with it, but it has been a helpful hint from numerous people.

On the dog front, Phinneus the Dachshund, has mastered urinating over the deck drain on the bow. I think he thinks he is getting away with something when he goes up there, just a bucket of water to wash off with. The other function has not presented itself yet, so fingers crossed!

I have been on as many blogs/sites I can be and it has given me the initiative to start one more for our friends and family to follow but it is out there for anyone. For now I am using it to document the refit on the boat over the next year, check it out if you want to.

www.theroadtocruising.com

Keep sending the good info, much appreciated.

Tara Flanagan

Tags
liveaboard