Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 08:53   #16

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by tflana View Post
Tom and Sailcruiser,
Thanks for all of your great info, it has already been downloaded and saved in my reference file. As for the pressure cooker, we have one but I do need to work on my skills and times for cooking with it, but it has been a helpful hint from numerous people.

On the dog front, Phinneus the Dachshund, has mastered urinating over the deck drain on the bow. I think he thinks he is getting away with something when he goes up there, just a bucket of water to wash off with. The other function has not presented itself yet, so fingers crossed!

I have been on as many blogs/sites I can be and it has given me the initiative to start one more for our friends and family to follow but it is out there for anyone. For now I am using it to document the refit on the boat over the next year, check it out if you want to.

www.theroadtocruising.com

Keep sending the good info, much appreciated.

Tara Flanagan
I have been a fan of slow cooking for years but that isn't practical for cruising. Here are some sites that are helping me transition fom slow to 'fast' pressure cooking.
http://www.hippressurecooking.com/
http://missvickie.com/

My favorite cookbook is the Boat Galley Cookbook by Carolyn Shearlock.

My big challenge is I am not a fish eater.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:07   #17
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Getting Ready to Liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tflana View Post
Tom and Sailcruiser,
Thanks for all of your great info, it has already been downloaded and saved in my reference file. As for the pressure cooker, we have one but I do need to work on my skills and times for cooking with it, but it has been a helpful hint from numerous people.

On the dog front, Phinneus the Dachshund, has mastered urinating over the deck drain on the bow. I think he thinks he is getting away with something when he goes up there, just a bucket of water to wash off with. The other function has not presented itself yet, so fingers crossed!

I have been on as many blogs/sites I can be and it has given me the initiative to start one more for our friends and family to follow but it is out there for anyone. For now I am using it to document the refit on the boat over the next year, check it out if you want to.

www.theroadtocruising.com

Keep sending the good info, much appreciated.

Tara Flanagan

Can you put netting up by where he's peeing? More than one dog has fallen overboard while peeing on the bow ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:34   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Getting Ready to Liveaboard

not sure if you have an ssb on board - but there is a great cruiser net on 8152 at 0830 called cruiserheimers -- a lot of cruisers on it and a lot of experience so if you need thoughts on anchorages, boat problems ect it is a great resource --

we have been out 6 years (i think) and circum nav the carib - biggest issue is how do you plan to get your weather - very important issue - with ssb you can listen to chris parker and download gribs - other than that not sure how you do it without a sat phone

as for food - people eat around the world so don't worry about food - not sure where you are headed but most passages won't take that long - in the carib our longest was 5 days from panama to jamaica - so what you eat at home may be what you eat at home if you can find it or variations there of

cruising guides are kinda important - i would be collecting cruising guides not cook books

the posting on the atm and mail is right on - we only use banks and never had a problem -

not sure where you are going but take a spear gun if headed to western carib but not the eastern -

most islands have some type of internet but you may have to buy a dongel (sp) for your computer - a lot of folks get cell phones for the various island - we did only if we were staying for a long time -

just some of my random thoughts
and just my opinion
chuck patty and svsoulmates
on the reception quay horta azores
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard