Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2018, 07:44   #1

GENTLE RETIREMENT

I am a poor older man with a lifelong love of sailing and boating. I simply cannot afford to live the modern American lifestyle on my income; therefore, I have decided to fix up an old sailboat and live and travel on it. I will use a bicycle for shore transportation, a skiff and oars for shuttle service from anchorage to shore, and sail whenever possible to places of interest. I have done this before so it will not be new to me. If done properly, such a lifestyle is cheap, interesting, good exercise, and enjoyable. I met a lot of nice people doing this.

I seek a strong boat about 35 feet in length that I can sail alone. A vessel with offshore capabilities is necessary for my goals. I may go beyond the Caribbean area and the boat should be seaworthy in all sea conditions. Performance is secondary to safety. What I am looking for is an intact and sound hull/deck, diesel engine with all the parts, and as much in the way of good sails and rigging as possible - all for the lowest possible price. I am a mechanic so I can rebuild engines, run new stays if necessary, rebuild woodwork, and repair fiberglass. If fixtures on the boat (masts, boom, roller reefing, fittings, etc.) can be repaired with labor, welding, or inexpensive replacements, that would be a big plus. Although not highly skilled my woodworking is passable. In short, I can repair a boat as long as the repairs do not cost a lot.
I bought my last boat for $1.00. I repaired it and lived aboard it. I sailed it to Cuba from Mobile, Alabama and it performed very well. Sadly, it was sunk by an uncharted rock and my failure to stay far enough off the poorly-charted coast of Cuba. I am looking for another home/boat/project.
Hopefully, there is someone out there with a well-loved boat who would like to enable an old guy to live his dream; I have another dollar if there is!
-Capt. G
lituya1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:18   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: GENTLE RETIREMENT

I would say Craigslist etc is your answer
Old 06-09-2018, 10:03   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I wish you luck! I'll bet if you keep asking, somewhere, somehow, the boat you're seeking will find you.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:52   #4

Boat: Douglas 32

For a low cost project boat, see this thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/free-or-close-to-free-197948.html

Many of these just need the skills you have CaptTom!
Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:30   #5

Boat: Sweden Yachts

Dear Captain G.
Sorry to hear of your previous boat, but I´m sure you learned a trick or two during that rebuild, and you probably made some valuable experiences living on board cruising it full time, so this is the perfect opportunity to turn your next vessel into the perfect cruiser for your needs.

You sound like a humble, and very competent boater.
Due to your boat maintenance skills and cruising experience, I consider you a rich man! To bad there´s a big pond between us, as I´d like to welcome you on board for a cup of coffee.
Best of luck anyway!
You´ll find her..

-kjetil-
-bliss- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 13:14   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Capt G,

Might be helpful to tell us where you are located. No sense offering boats on the wrong coast.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:59   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Capt. G.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:49   #8

It would be convenient if the boat I seek is close to Georgia; however, I am very flexible. I will pick up a boat in Alaska or Maine or Florida or Texas. I will even pick up a boat on a lake or in the Midwest or on the Great Lakes. I prefer a boat that can be moved by water to reach the ocean but it is not a deal breaker. I once bought a sailboat in Nashville, TN and sailed it to the Gulf of Mexico and on to South America. If it floats, I can move it. If I can get the boat to my home in north Georgia, it will be most convenient to work on it here. I have a good shop and a lot of tools at home. It may be that the cost of transport exceeds the cost of keeping the boat on the hard at a marina while I work on it, depending on the time it will take to make it reasonably seaworthy. My last boat took only six months to repair. I have done engine overhauls and fiberglass work out of my shop in the past. It is convenient to have a lot of tools close at hand. But I am inventive enough to fix a boat almost anywhere.
As a long-time boater, I know people come to love their boats. They put a lot of sweat and effort and money into them. They are proud of them. This emotional attachment often means they do not want to sell their boat to just any landlubber who will not love it like they do. When I have a boat, it is like a marriage: lots of work and frustration but I love the darn thing! I would take good care of a boat and pass it on to a worthy person when I get too old to sail it. That may be a consideration for those who are considering either donating a boat to me or giving me a really generous price. It would be to me.
lituya1617 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, retirement